people that have sold horses - what would you do?

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
Have decided that i made a HUGE mistake in selling Indy. Went to see her at the weekend and the new yard are doing wonders with her. She is now hacking out on her own, along dual carriageways, has got shoes on and the new owner cant believe shes only 4 as she has so much confidence and will do what ever you ask her to do. Seriously think I should have asked JP (the new owner - owns a livery yard and part time dealer) to take her and school her for me rather than selling her.

Want to ask her to sell me her back but keep her at the yard and pay them to continue the work until her little problems are sorted out. After I have had time to think I realise that a lot of my confidence issues were with people that i thought i could trust telling me that she was a firebreathing dragon that was dangerous and would end up killing me. JP has said that she is fantastic and has never put a foot wrong.

So my question is - would I be out of order if I asked JP to sell me Indy back? answers on a post card please

redmerl

Visit site
That would be totally upto the new owner, if she has been bought to sell, I'm sure she would sell her back to you. She might cost you more though for the work they have put in.

When I bought Norrie, me and Nic talked for about 3 hours discussing if he was too much for me. He is doing fab now.

Go with what you think is best. Indy is lovely though.

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
thanks hun. I know Nic loved her.

She was bought by JP's grownup nieces to bring on and have a home for life. The only thing is JP is a longtime family friend (my mum used to keep her horses with JP like 20 years ago!) and im hoping this may sway things my way Lol - I am prepared to pay more than what she was sold for - in fact I would be willing to pay upto 3 times more than they bought her for - I just want my horse back.

Flame_

Visit site
If I were you I would be thrilled that the horse has found the right person who she is doing well with. If the horse were straightforward you wouldn't have had problems and now you are looking at the horse with rose tinted specs. You'd be doing the best thing for the horse wishing the new rider well, leaving them to enjoy the future and finding yourself something you click with to really get your confidence back. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.
cool.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I think once the horse is sold..its sold. they want her for life, so let her have them as the horse is obviously in a good home. I suspect the reason she hasn't put a foot wrong is because she is being ridden by experienced, confident riders.

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
when i went up on sat and was talking to JP, she told me that the saddle my old YO had been riding her in must have been too small as she had sore and tender back. They gave her a few days off and have her in a saddle which fits her perfectly and she has been great since.
I think the problem was I paid 'professionals' to break in and school my horse and trusted them and the first lot did a bad job which made me lose some confidence and the second lot werent doing what they were telling me.
The thing about JP is that shes very old school - she wont put up with any cr@p - yes shes experianced and confident as are her grooms and riders but now the problem with her back has been sorted they havent had any of the problems the others had.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
You could always broach the subject by saying if you ever want to sell her can you have first refusal. Maybe you could then move on to say you are deeply regretting selling her and see what the new owner says.

The thing is you sold her and it would be a little unfair to expect them to give her up because you now think you have made a mistake. They may have already formed a strong bond with her and may not want to give her up. Sorry to say that but you have to think of how they feel about you asking for her back. Could you not offer to ride her when they are busy? Would that be a good halfway point for you?

It's kind of the reason that I have never sold my sometimes difficult mare. I know it would break my heart to see her go to someone else. I know how you feel - good luck!

ihatework

Visit site
TBH I expect she is being well behaved because she is in experienced hands. You are bound to miss her for a bit but you will move on, just think about the reasons why you sold her in the first place and be happy that she is now in a home that can deal with her previous issues.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Did you ride the mare in a saddle that did not fit? If so then perhaps you would be better for the time being buying a 'made' horse and gaining valuable horse owning experience. Youngsters are difficult and change shape, this can lead to all sorts of problems. JP sounds ideally placed to work through these.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
JP has said that she is fantastic and has never put a foot wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
With him.

Put this one down to experience and look for a horse that will really suit you. JP may be just the man to find you one.

LauraBR

Visit site
This has really surprised me to be honest given the threads posted about just how desperate you were to sell her?

There were many reasons you sold- perhaps you might find it useful to read back over how you were feeling then re her behaviour, her full livery, personal circumstances etc etc? Has that much changed so fast? Would be a mistake to put yourself in the same desperate situation again, not to mention unfair on the horse who sounds happy where she is?

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
just for the record it wasnt me that rode her in an ill fitting saddle - it was my last YO and trainer. My personal circumstances have now changed back to a position where I can afford a horse now, the full livery wouldnt be an issue at JPs yard - as it is half the price of the old yard. The money was an issue as I was paying £400 for full livery and breaking and schooling livery and i didnt have a horse that was rideable. JP has sorted this out (with the saddle issue) and she is going beautifully.

I had thought about the idea of buying something else but I really think Ive made a huge mistake in selling Indy. Am thinking about asking JP if I could have her back on full loan for a couple of months and then taking things from there. In hindsight I should have never have sold her bt asked JP to reschool her for me in the first place

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I had thought about the idea of buying something else but I really think Ive made a huge mistake in selling Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

To be blunt - I think this is a huge mistake. The horse you sold is clearly doing very well in more experienced hands. Why risk going back to square one - for you and the horse?

Some horses do better with other people.