People who don't look after their horses properly

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Have moved to other side of the yard partly to get away form an obnoxious woman who insists that her 2 "competition horses" must stay in 24 hrs a day.

Fair enough, but she never competes them, or looks after them. She's certainly never there twice a day, always gets someone else to muck out or finish off and is generally a freeloader.

So, now am on the other side of yard in lovely big stable with decent lighting and rubber matting....except the horse next door was still in when I left at 12pm and still in when I popped back at 2.30pm. No hay, no water. He was in way before Finn last night. Apparently this is not unusual.

Gave him hay and water but really, this is terrible. How can people think it's ok to just leave a horse standing in by itself with no food or water?

Tia

Visit site
I have to say, I did have a couple on my yard in England who used to do this, particularly on Sunday mornings. I used to feed their horses and then charge them for it! They seemed perfectly happy with that arrangement LOL!!

The thing we have to remember is that horses are creatures of habit.......therefore if it is habit that they don't get attention for this length of time......would they really be stressed over it? D'you see what I'm saying? Your horse is used to being done at a certain time.....there's is too.

Tia

Visit site
Feed and charge......that's what I say, LOL!! Either that or ignore.

What does the yard owner have to say about it all? Are they happy about it? To be honest it never really bothered me; as I say I would feed the horses and add my extra labour onto their bill at the end of the month and they seemed happy with that.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
They tend to stay out of it i think as is generally a business enterprise (they do not have horses).

I'm inclined to stay out of it as the stress with falling out with other lady has put me off interfering, even when I think I'm doing the right thing!

Tia

Visit site
Ahh well best not doing anything otherwise she will think you are interfering.

Changing the subject here - every time I look at your piccy under your name - I always think you are being given that trophy by Cherie Blair!!
shocked.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I can't abide people who do this, and would never tolerate it when we had DIY liveries. One woman used to feed her Happa rescue on all the chuck out veg from the local market, no feed or hay, just masses of rotting veg and a big bin of molichop. Eventually all of the others plus me sneaked haylage into it after she went home, because by 10pm that poor horse had nothing left at all. When she announced she was moving yards a year later I confessed we had all fed him and she went ape...We warned Happa she was not looking after him and hopefully they monitored her better after that.
I think in your case you could offer to drop hay or feed over on Sundays in return for them doing some minor thing in return (no I wouldn't trust them either so perhaps some poo picking?) At least that way you won't fall out and the horse should be happier.
Your Yard owners should really be aware that as owners offering a stable they might be liable if a prosecution occurred, as they would be considered to own the premises where mismanagement was happening on a regular basis
frown.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Perhaps I should offer to turn him out for her at the weekend. I'm sure if she'd called someone they would have put him out for her.

I think what really annoys me is the lack of responsibility.

airedale

Visit site
No water is one thing - but how do you know if you've only moved next door to the horse that it wasn't allergic to hay and that it could only be fed haylage (obviously in lower quantities and therefore finished sooner.

No excuse for no water but if I had a horse that had woofed up it's haylage and some 'kind person' gave it hay because they thought it wasn't right for it to have nothing to eat and triggered a massive allergic reaction (I've got one so I know what I'm talking about here !!) I go absolutely BALLISTIC.

See where you are coming from but if you don't know the horses medical circumstances then it could have been a disaster.....

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I understand what you are saying, but is a relatively small yard and I do know the horse. Think is just the owner being cr*p unfortunately.

Just been to finish Finn off and she still hadn't been down to do him. Teenager said she got a text from his owner at 3am saying she wasn't coming down, asking if she could put him out. Teenager couldn't and it seems she didn't make alternative arrangments.

vivhewe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Changing the subject here - every time I look at your piccy under your name - I always think you are being given that trophy by Cherie Blair!!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought that but now you've mentioned it I can't help but think of old Cherie every time I see it
crazy.gif
grin.gif

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Its awful isn't it. I used to be at a livery yard and hated it. Lot of horses there got two tiny hay nets either end of the day which got eaten in about an hour so they only spent about two hours of their day eating the rest of the time just stood there with nothing to do. Owners came once a day to muck out etc.. and the horses hardly ever got turned out (they were competition horses apparntly so didnt need turnout) or ridden exept in summer when the shows started. It seemed to be accepted that this was an acceptable way to look after horses and ponies at that yard. Owners spent a lot of thier time gossiping about how badly other people looked after thier horses mmm. Was very glad to leave.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I have seen the result of a horse that was reportedly treated like this. A friend and I went to buy a horse from this girl who needed to sell it desperately. Someone on her yard had contacted my friend and basically said "you need to buy it, cos she can't look after it". Anyway, we arrived to find this huge tb x stood in a stable, away from everything else (which were turned out) with no straw, no hay. The position of the stable meant he couldnt see a thing on the yard. We got him home (he was a hat rack) and realised he boxwalked so badly. He was anxious on the yard, pacing about all the time. We later found out this girl had with held his food in an attempt to calm him down!
After 6 months on friend's yard he totally chilled and was perfectly rideable, an absolute gentleman at times. He'd filled out and looked fab.

As regards this girl, i would offer to turn out for her, or see if YO will have a word with her.

4whitesocks

Visit site
hmmmm.....having huge dramas with my new yard over stuff like this - am paying full livery and keep finding him with no water, never mind haylage - they ran out on friday night and it was only delivered this evening....needless to say I am on the hunt for a new yard