people who have been to court

WeeLassie

Visit site
A question for people who have been to court and reached a settlement. After the court case, when an agreement has been reached, is this then put in writing and sent out to both parties by the court? My friend had a court case a couple of months ago, but although a settlement was reached- she is to get her money from the dealer - she has had nothing in writing nor has she heard from the dealer. She is being patient, but I am wondering should I suggest she chases the court up?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
A question for people who have been to court and reached a settlement. After the court case, when an agreement has been reached, is this then put in writing and sent out to both parties by the court? My friend had a court case a couple of months ago, but although a settlement was reached- she is to get her money from the dealer - she has had nothing in writing nor has she heard from the dealer. She is being patient, but I am wondering should I suggest she chases the court up?

Slightly different I took a livery to court 2017 as she continued to be late paying and when she left she told me not to cash the cheque till; the following week when her cheques cleared. So I did but found out a few days later she deliberately stopped the cheque.

I wrote 3 letters asking for paying from her, lies and deceit from her even though we had proof etc I had a court date set for 9th May 2017, she did not turn up so then a warrant issued, finally we got a small amount, but she fail to pay court cost, so eventually got the enforcement team in, 3 letters to them and 3 small cheques from the defendant, and we finally got the last amount last month. it was like hens teeth, but she will hopefully realise the buck has to stop and she cannot keep leaving yards leaving debts all beit training fees or livery fees.

My court was just me and my witness and the judge and was all over in 10 minutes as she failed to turn up.

Speak to the Courts do it in writing with claim number and dates and the dealers names etc. They normally will contact you back to tell you the next step, maybe a warrant then enforcement like mine.

I used money claim online to start my claim which was easy and simple to do.. Your friend needs to write to the court and explain no money has been sent yet, but ask them as you must do everything by the book.

To add call them first and get some advice but they won't give you legal advise

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site

They will need to start proceedings to recover the award . Getting a judgement is the easy bit in most cases actually getting the money can take a long time. I have a friend who has spent the last four years trying to recover costs from somebody they ended up having to place a charge on their estate they finally got paid but now have to do the whole thing again to recover their cost doing that. For a debtor who is court savvy its very easy to avoid for a long time.

eggs

Visit site
Not horse related but I took my ex-lodger to the small claims court, won the case but never did see a penny of the money owed.

stormox

Visit site
I think what WeeLassie is asking is do the courts write to plaintiff and defendant after the case to confirm the judgement? I am in Ireland so it may be different but I recently took Sean Hayes a local dealer to court and agreed a settlement whereby he has to give me the money and drop his counter claim. It was fairly recently but if I dont hear confirmation from the court within a month or so I will email them. ( unless he pays up first of course!)

MissGee

Visit site
It sounds to me like an order was made, possibly Judgment if it were a money claim.

I would ring the Court (you'll need the case number to hand) and get a copy of the Order. The order will give so long (ie 28 days to make payment). If that doesn't/hasn't happened then the Order will need to be enforced. Feel free to pm me if you want ;-)

ROG

Visit site
A lot of cases go like this -
You win judgement
You receive nothing
You get bailiffs in
Bailiffs find no assets
Case closed
You get no money

Peter7917

Visit site
A lot of cases go like this -
You win judgement
You receive nothing
You get bailiffs in
Bailiffs find no assets
Case closed
You get no money

As awful as this is, at least they then have a CCJ against their name. Makes borrowing either near on impossible or very expensive.

Kat

Visit site
If you went in to the court room and the judge decided the case then the court should send an order to both parties which is the document that confirms the outcome. If you haven't received this phone the court and chase it up.

Once you have this you can consider enforcement.

If you settled by agreement then it is slightly different