People who have broken things...

vivhewe

Visit site
...such as arms, legs, ankles etc.

How long was it before you rode again from when you broke your bone? And did you feel conscious incase it happened again because you were riding too soon?

I can't wait to ride but I'm worried I'll do more damage than good if I ride too soon
frown.gif
I can't walk til Christmas and then I'm hoping to ride soon after but I'm worried I'll damage something or not have the strength in my lower leg that I had before for jumping etc.

Any tips will be really appreciated
smile.gif
x

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
I didn't break anything but was kicked by a horse and raptured a ligament in my knee...I was told not to ride for a year, ignored it and instead I couldn't jump for much longer! Wish I had listened...
I started jumping again after a while and touch wood, all is ok now.
Wish you all the patience in the world!

tormor

Visit site
broke my arm didn't ride for 9 months (v.bad break)
fractured ribs rode after 6 weeks
kicked my horse and damaged tissue in leg. rode after 2 months but have lots of damage to the muscle had 10 months of physio and its still not that strong. i think you should take it at your own speed but not over do it.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
i broke my collerbone about this time last year, was told to wait 6 weeks to ride but started riding after 4 weeks!
blush.gif
hurt abit to start with, just walked for the first few times, but luckily my horse doesnt pull so it didnt hurt too much!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
kicked my horse and damaged tissue in leg

[/ QUOTE ] Was that ment to be... my horse kicked me?? hmmm maybe pop along to the violent with your horse post....
tongue.gif
crazy.gif
grin.gif

I broke my ankle a few weeks back..... Hoping to ride start next year... but if the plasters off I cannot be held responsible for has a sneaky xmas plod! *Has to find plod though....
ooo.gif

Whats your damage???
blush.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
Same as you! Broke my ankle three weeks ago and I am supposed to be able to walk at christmas (Thank god - sick to bloody death of crutches already!) and I'm hoping to go for a crimbo ride too, might see if I can borrow a neddie though
wink.gif
Mines been out on good grass for a month with hardly any work so he's full of himself
smile.gif

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I broke my ankle last year. Got cast off and 2 days later was on the beast! Was ok for about 2 weeks then got serious cramps!! The break was quite bad - not surgery bad - but that sticky out side bit was like 3mm lower than before.
Was silly and didnt do any physio (apparently no one avaliable at hospital!!) and left knee was sore from compensationg for right ankle, so now when I ride both legs cramp, left knee burns and right foot goes numb!!!

BUT the doctors said I was ok to ride!!! Just wish I had built up muscles 1st!
So thats why I ma doing it now in preparation for Beaus return!

My advice, if offered any physio - take it! Try doing calf raises (jsut standing and going up on tip toes) then progress to doing it on a stair or something a bit of the ground and allowing heel to dip down. Swimming and walking!! Better to do it on the ground 1st than jump straight on and be in pain.

Chex

Visit site
I broke my leg on 1st August, and have been told to wait 6 months before riding again. Its only incase you fall off, rather than damage from riding. I have the hospital again in january, hoping they are going to say I can ride again after!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Lol sounds too similar!!

Me break wasnt too bad but its got complications and very bad tissue damage
crazy.gif

Anyhow i go back to plaster thingy in few weeks so *Fingers griped tight* It be off for xmas... I'm in a walking plaster... that i cant walk in
mad.gif
Its hot pink
shocked.gif
smirk.gif
Yours??

Im very nervy about walking/putting weight on it let alone riding
blush.gif
I think it gets so drilled in not to touch it... i cant picture/dream things now with out those bluddy crutches!! I'm learning tircks
smirk.gif

Not a chance i'll be riding mine... he had his first ride *just backed* two days before the accident...and since rotting in his field/stable

Osca would be my first choose but as he did it
mad.gif

Oh la la i mucked out all *sort of* by my self... on hands and knees... then one legged with the shavings fork.. lots falling over
smirk.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
1st time I broke my arm I had ten weeks off. 2nd time I rode with the cast on! But only hacking and my horse is regularly referred to as atomic bombproof! When I broke 4 toes I gave that about 5 weeks. Somehow I think it is a lot worse if we are talking ankles though because of the stress you put on them when riding is greater than arms, as you can always ride with one arm.

equibabe20

Visit site
I broke my ankle and collar bone back in August and im still not riding, my ankle is mended but i was in hospital Thursday having my collar pinned and bone graft from pelvis, never been in so much pain in all my life
frown.gif
i wont be riding till prob February now
frown.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
I've got a splint because my leg was so swollen - so it looks like some futuristic grey and blue tendon boot! It means I get the pleasure of looking at my bruising that goes from my toes to my knee but at least I can *carefully* work on hair removal so I don't look like a gorilla when they take the cast off lol!
grin.gif

Mucking out sounds fun! My boys are out so I just have to wrestle a muddy hill instead lol!
tongue.gif

gemma1992

Visit site
I broke my arm june 05 and couldn't ride for 2-3 months. (plate and 4 screws and I had a half cast and half bandage cast) and I was scared of hurting it when i rode again but am now fine and forget i actually broke it.

ladylisa

Visit site
I fractured my wrist and got back on after 2 weeks, but that was only because i couldnt find anyone to ride her for me! But i am worried about doing things to soon incase i fall off and do more damage!

Happytohack

Visit site
Had left leg re-aligned in Sept 04, including pin thro kneecap. Was in leg brace for 8 months with intensive physio for a year. Got back on horse about a year later, but only now am I riding again properly. Don't push it and do as much physio to get your muscle strength back as you can.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Ouch to you all! Broke my hand in July when 17 hander fell on me in stable. Should have had at least 6 weeks off but rode after 2. It still hurts.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I broke 3 ribs and got back on after a week, however I then smashed a horse through a wing and broke my ankle. Ankle was only just cracked and was supposed to be in plaster for 6 weeks. Cut the plaster off after 2 weeks and rode in a point to point after another week. The ankle stopped hurting sooner than the ribs.
Smashed my other ankle a year later and had a load of metalwork put in. I tried to get on a horse after 6 months and couldnt put any weight down my one leg so went back on the pi55. Got on a horse finally after 9 months and was riding breakers hunting within 3 weeks. After a month I was back riding point to pointing. However, I only managed that season due to copious amounts of Voltarol and Codrydamol.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I badly broke my leg last year on 18th september and was in plaster until 15 november. I sat on Axel for the first time on 1st January and that was the first time he had been ridden since I came off him.
I felt that was the right amount of time to wait and I haven't felt nervous of riding him at all, but nervous of falling off and breaking another bone as I came off the year before and dislocated my elbow! I think if I fall off and break something again my husband would ban me from riding lol!
Its hell being on crutches isn't it? I hope the time goes quickly for you and you are fine to get back on again. I am getting more confident every day and don't even think about my leg anymore. It was my 1 year anniversary of my accident and I celebrated by going out for a good gallop
smile.gif

Sam x

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've got a splint because my leg was so swollen - so it looks like some futuristic grey and blue tendon boot!

[/ QUOTE ] Hee hee i had a thingy similar to start with but they relised unless they told me horror storys off my leg falling off with this plaster
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
I wouldn't take it easy and keep my leg up
grin.gif
I take a little peak up my toes.. it isnt nice.. black swollen and well ermm dead
crazy.gif
Friends been telling me storys of the lays of skin that peel off
crazy.gif
confused.gif

I dont and will not look when they take it off.... could take a stick off dinamite to get it off gets me panicing the throught off that bit....
crazy.gif

lisan

pets.webshots.com
As soon as you fee comfortable to. I got back on mine 3 weeks after having my Tibia fixed back together with a metal rod, Fibia has been left to heal on its own. Started off doing some gentle hacking. It was a couple of weeks before i could do rising trot, but its great physio on your ankle!!
tongue.gif
I was only in a cast for 10days, hence being tempted to get back on!! As long as you are not likely to come off again, just do what you feel comfortable doing.

Its only 10wks since my op and I am now riding 6 days a week, schooling, hacking, jumping, the whole works!
grin.gif

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
I broke my tibia in September, just had leg brace off (was hinged at knee), got to still use both crutches if go out, can get away with one at home, but can walk across room without now, Dr said I can drive in another week but not happy for me to ride til it's been 6 months
frown.gif
, he said it takes between 4-6 months to be 100% strong again, my knee hurts most of all even though I had a hinge on the brace.
I can't wait to get back riding but don't want to rush it and put myself back so will take it steady, also neddy will need getting fit again so will also be taking it steady (I hope). ok will stop waffling now, good luck and take it easy
smile.gif

Stella

Visit site
I broke my elbow, lower arm and tore through the ligaments. I was told 12 weeks before I could ride, but I knew if I left it that long, the anxiety at getting back on would be a big problem. so I spoke with my physio about how long bone takes to 'knit' and I got back on after 6 weeks. the answer to your second question is, yes, I felt quite vulnerable and anxous about falling on it again. I guess this was no bad thing as it made me ultra careful about what I did for a while and by the time I started to worry less about it, the bone had repaired much more
smile.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I must be mad. Broken my right femur twice (big ouch) and got put in traction for 15 weeks (no chance of a hack as was in hospital stuck to a bed) then a caliper for must have been three months. However, went for a hack about 5 months after first break and lived. The caliper was a horrid, cumbersome gadget and really got in the way. Second time, I was pinned and plated as break was less messy. Back in the saddle in a month, but with dire warnings about what a fall might do - smash it to bits. Was young, didn't care, carried on and was fine. Then, did my right tibia and fibula - back to hospital for more screws and plating. This time they put a short cast on my leg while the fibula mended. Huh. Think I was a month out of action that time due to the plaster. Took just the time between plate removal and stitches out to get back in the saddle. Never stopped my stable duties as I am quite a determined person. Much crawling about and dragging stuff behind me.

Governor

Visit site
I broke my humerus clean in half (near the shoulder joint) in a riding accident while I was on holiday in America.

I got on the next day (western riding...only need one hand...) to make sure I hadn't knocked my confidence and went for a walk around the ranch and back.

When I got home it was 2 1/2 or 3 weeks before I rode again (doctor said 4-5 weeks), but 7 weeks until I did any faster work or jumping.

RobinHood

Visit site
I broke my collar bone at the end of septmeber last year. I had it plated straight away and rode a week or 2 after but only hacking because I couldn't hold a contact. I went hunting about a month later but was very determined not to fall on my left hand side. I did fall off (saddle disappeared up neck of small pony!) but in a way I think it was a good thing because it got the "first fall since accident" out of the way and everything was fine.

I did laugh when I went back to the hospital in January and the consultant said only another month until you can start riding again...
laugh.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
Thanks Sam! I'm not nervous about getting back on at all, I can't wait! I don't think I'll be riding in the field I came off in for a while (broke my arm when I was 10 and still won't ride in the corner I came off at
wink.gif
but I didn't ride for a while after that and putting it off meant it was worse riding again) but I am scared of getting on, going into rising trot and hearing a crack as it breaks again
frown.gif
or riding in an arena and the horse going sideways towards the fence and my foot getting stuck
crazy.gif

Methinks next year a nice gallop will be good though
grin.gif
Oh, and yep, crutches are evil!
tongue.gif

Stella

Visit site
Hi Nuala, in my case yes, I came off a horse and hit a wall
shocked.gif
Bear in mind though that kids get injured falling out of trees, off bikes, going skiing with their parents, slipping on ice, falling out of bunk beds etc etc ...! And we enjoy riding more that those other things
smile.gif