People who lie when selling horses

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
We sadly lost my husbands horse just over a month ago and have just started looking for another for him now he feels ready. We've only viewed a few so far, but have had some pretty disappointing viewing for one reason or another.

Sunday we went and viewed and really liked the horse. Was over a 2 hour drive from us so had been to see another in the same area (awful!) then came back to see the first one in the afternoon. In the morning me and OH had both rode him in the school, jumped him, then OH took him for a gallop round one of the big fields. In the afternoon he took him out for a hack in company and all was good. He liked him, got a nice feel for him, done everything which he wanted him to do. So made an offer subject to vetting. Vetting arranged for yesterday. Turned up a few things, some minor but few which made it a no for us. One of which being a heart murmur. He had it at rest, after work and several stages between when the vet re-checked. I had specifically asked on the phone before we viewed whether he had any ailments/known conditions and was told no. She told OH on the phone this morning that she knew about that as came up when she'd had him vetted to buy! Also the horse had been out of work in March due to an abcess on the jaw. (Had also asked if he'd ever been out of work whilst she had him and told no!) Now she told me her old yard had an outbreak of strangles and he'd been checked and given the all clear and not had it. That was bending the truth somewhat as the vet said that the abcess and symptoms in March indicated he had mild strangles or been in contact with it. There were a few other things too and the vet said that in isolation, none would overly concern him, but combined he felt we would be taking on a lot of risk. So we've had to say no.

Its so frustrating when you specifically ask questions about the horse before viewing and get lied to. I know dealers get a raw deal from people but i think private sellers are just as bad! So £200 down the drain but better that than the cost of the horse i guess.

Everyone keeps saying that the market is full of good horses that people can't sell - where are they???!!!! I truly hate horse hunting.

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
It is really depressing when you think you have found 'the one' only to discover some horrible non-disclosed truth. However having said that I resolved myself to the fact that whatever horse I found would have 'something' that I would have to deal with later.
No horse in my 30 years of experience (unless you pay a kings ransom) will be perfect and trouble free.
I'd already resigned myself to having to pay out vet and physio fees for any unforeseen problems and touch wood, my boy has been quite good, however there have been a couple of things that I was not aware of at time of buying him.
Regardless, I would certaintly not change a thing and am more than happy with my boy.
Yes, he has cost me a pretty penny in vet and physio bills, however I never expected a trouble free new horse. Just goes with the territory in my opinion and part of the horse buying and owning experience.
If you love the horse mostly, then I've found that any other problems are part of the package and hence you need to simply get on with it and not bother about the fact your new neddy is not perfect.

pookie

Visit site
Out of interest, what were you hoping to use the horse for and what was the vet's long-term prognosis/opinions on risk?

It's very frustrating when sellers lie but I've heard far worse than that :)

HeatherAnn

Visit site
Urgh! That's awful, there's a difference between being sly and skirting round the truth and plain lying after being asked a question. Good luck in your hunt :)

EPRider

Visit site
Travelled three and three quarters of an hour to view a steady 14.2 ride and drive pony to discover a newly backed 13.1 that had not been driven by the current owner.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
The other big thing was that he was showing slight lameness behind - at trot up, work and on hard or soft surface. The vet said that his gut feeling was that he'd be ok for about 2 years then we'd have issues. He was priced around £5k mark and vet thought that for what he'd done that would be fair...if he didn't have the issues. The vet felt that it was a big risk on our part. He said if he were nearer the £3k then would be nearer the mark with the issues - but then would be whether we still thought it was worth the gamble. We didn't vet to haggle on price though.

I'm not expecting a 'perfect horse' and was expecting the vet to come back with a few niggles, they're animal's at the end of the day. But wasn't expecting anything like what we had back.

We're after something to do unaffiliated SJ, XC, hack - if they'll do dressage too then great but not essential. All we're after is a sane, sensible all rounder but seem to be struggling to find!

pookie

Visit site
Those problems and £5k! No wonder you walked away.

The good ones are out there, I think you just have to work your way through a few duds before you find them. That said, I'm a sucker for a pity case so I'm the very last person to advise :D

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Thing is we have upped budget to look this time (usually had bargain basement guys under £2k! lol!) so thought by doing that we'd have better luck with the viewings and type of horse we want. But we've seen just as many duds as when we were looking between £2-3k! Its not that i'm not putting the homework in. I have an extensive list of questions when calling and if they don't fit the bill from my phone call, we're discarding them from our hunt. So even from shortlists we're still getting not as described when we get there. Its so frustrating!

Tarte Au Citron

Visit site
I can't believe you're having so many problems finding a horse especially with that budget :eek: i was under the impression it was a buyers market! Also i really do not get why people are so dishonest when selling especially if it will come up in a vetting - it will be found out before buying so what the hell is the point!. I mean we're selling one now and being brutally honest about him as we don't want to waste anybody's time and want him to go to the best most suitable home possible. We love him too much to do any different :).

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The only thing of concern there would be the murmur. However of your vet advised not to purchase, fair enough.

pookie

Visit site
Thing is we have upped budget to look this time (usually had bargain basement guys under £2k! lol!) so thought by doing that we'd have better luck with the viewings and type of horse we want. But we've seen just as many duds as when we were looking between £2-3k! Its not that i'm not putting the homework in. I have an extensive list of questions when calling and if they don't fit the bill from my phone call, we're discarding them from our hunt. So even from shortlists we're still getting not as described when we get there. Its so frustrating!

Maybe go back to the £2-3k mark then, see what turns up :D Can't hurt. Are you looking for a certain breed/height/age etc? Something that might be reducing your options? Where in the country are you?

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Not really. Have been looking for aged between 4-11, 16.1+, gelding preferrably, only colour he won't consider is coloured as he doesn't like them! Only 'musts' are have to be sensible, good to hack alone or in company and good jump! I did call up about one horse and nearly had my face ripped off for daring to ask if was good to hack alone and in company! Was just met with - 'its a competition horse not a happy hacker'!!! Seriously, some people are so rude they don't deserve to sell!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the horse, but good job you had him vetted.

Just musing, but I think the problem is because it is a buyers market right now, therefore sellers are desperate to get rid and so just tell buyers what they want to hear and hope for the best :(

Charem

Visit site
I may know of a suitable horse, however he is 12 and rather big at 17.2hh but an absolubte gentleman.

Unfortunately so many sellers are dishonest it creates a vicious circle whereby if you do advertise your horse's quirks, sellers think that because you've mentioned it it must be really awful and therefore not enquire so buyers don't/can't if they want to get people to pick up the phone.

Take not novice ride for example, I think there are VERY few true novice rides but if you put not novice ride in an add everyone thinks it must be a nutcase.

Enfys

Visit site
OP sorry that you were disappointed/misled about this horse, I hope you find the right one soon.

As someone who sells a quite a lot of horses throughout the year it really does bug the heck out of me that all sellers seem to be labelled as dishonest, we are not.

Buyers lie too.

There would be just as many stories to hear if there were a thread about that :D

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Thanks Charem, he's wanting to stay to 17.0hh max though. Sorry, should have put that. We had a 17.1 before and he feels better jumping on a 16.2 sort of height but will vary slightly!

Not novice ride wouldn't put me off if explained a bit. i.e. forward going - fine. But i think because a lot of people just put not novice ride - it is a bit off putting even if you're not novice.

When selling out old horse, i put that he was very nervy to hack on his ad and that he was very timid by nature. Still had a lot of calls for him and he sold within a week. I wanted him to go to a home that was right for him. By lying people just risk the horse being moved about.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
OP sorry that you were disappointed/misled about this horse, I hope you find the right one soon.

As someone who sells a quite a lot of horses throughout the year it really does bug the heck out of me that all sellers seem to be labelled as dishonest, we are not.

Buyers lie too.

There would be just as many stories to hear if there were a thread about that :D

I'm sure there are!! lol!

Hopefully we'll find an honest one like you soon! :)

Charem

Visit site
Thanks Charem, he's wanting to stay to 17.0hh max though. Sorry, should have put that. We had a 17.1 before and he feels better jumping on a 16.2 sort of height but will vary slightly!.

Not to worry, im hoping he'll be around long enough for me to take hunting :)
Good luck finding the right horse.

Holbert

Visit site
I know exactly what you mean Fabio and Freddy as I'm also horse hunting at the moment, and absolutely hate it.

So far I have seen a 'fun, forward going ride' that took off with me in the sand school so we ended up galloping round and round and round until I performed a deliberate, high speed bail out (no, I didn't land on my feet) and a lightweight horse that turned out to be a cob. However, the seller had hacked the cob's feathers off with scissors and left the hair on the stable floor so it was totally obvious they'd tried to make it look less of a cob by hacking off the feathers!! lol! :D

Horse hunting should be such fun but I've got horses to look at over the weekend and am dreading it! I just hope one of them turns out to be the one for me, fingers crossed. Good luck to you too.;)

indie999

Visit site
I hate to be so pessimistic but I completely lost faith in human nature after horse 22!

I phoned emailed interrogated and asked zillions of questions. I even had other people show me horses and not the person I spoke to on the phone.

Lots and lots of mini private sellers that are very much dealers! Mothers and daughters a speciality! When you say NO they have a personality disorder..called split personality!

I only met about 3 normal honest people. But saying that my budget was £3k to £3.5k for a happy hacker type that would live out 24/7 etc. A friend of mine has found a smashing friendly horse perfect for under £1.5k! Funny they thought it was me not being able to find one but when they went looking they told me...its not you...its the lies!!

By the way there are good dealers and they are not all bad but had nothing for me! Unless i wanted showjumper international!

Wishing you such good luck.

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
I hate to be so pessimistic but I completely lost faith in human nature after horse 22!I think I may have given up altogether after that many :eek:

I phoned emailed interrogated and asked zillions of questions. I even had other people show me horses and not the person I spoke to on the phone.

Lots and lots of mini private sellers that are very much dealers! Mothers and daughters a speciality! When you say NO they have a personality disorder..called split personality!:D

I only met about 3 normal honest people. But saying that my budget was £3k to £3.5k for a happy hacker type that would live out 24/7 etc. A friend of mine has found a smashing friendly horse perfect for under £1.5k! Funny they thought it was me not being able to find one but when they went looking they told me...its not you...its the lies!!

By the way there are good dealers and they are not all bad but had nothing for me! Unless i wanted showjumper international!

Wishing you such good luck.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
22 :O eek!

I always google names/phone numbers before we view as there are so many people portraying to be private sellers and aren't at all. I'd rather they just said they were trade as if i liked the look of the horse (and nothing really dodgy came of my search on said dealer!) i'd still go and have a look.

Holbert - we are yet to have had any with evidene of recent haircut! Although could be up soon!

Patterdale

Visit site
I lied to a buyer once. This is how it went.

Buyer - he's lovely, just what we are after.....I'm wondering though, do you think he is very clever?? My husband wants to teach the new horse to do some tricks and carry out minor errands, but it would need to be a highly intelligent animal. He's a professor. Does X fit this description?

Me (glancing at bored looking cob pony with a vacant expression on it's face) - Yes.....if you like. He's a genius.

True story.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Why not just go to a reputable dealer or horse sale? Lots of horses to choose from, all in one place. Of course, I'm in Ireland where that is the normal way of buying or selling. People can still lie, I suppose, but it all seems a bit more straightforward here. Or come over to Ireland! LOTS of horses here!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think sometimes they don't realise they are, whether its because they are very inexperienced or just not particularly bright/ observant. Then some are hoping you won't notice they are lying. And some are just deluded or mad as hatters. But buyers have an equal no of liars & headcases amongst them too.

Sameru

Visit site
I am looking for exactly this with a budget up to 3.5K and possibly a little smaller 15.2 - 16.2, there arent many that have stood out to me either :(

indie999

Visit site
22 :O eek!

I always google names/phone numbers before we view as there are so many people portraying to be private sellers and aren't at all. I'd rather they just said they were trade as if i liked the look of the horse (and nothing really dodgy came of my search on said dealer!) i'd still go and have a look.

Holbert - we are yet to have had any with evidene of recent haircut! Although could be up soon!

Yep I did this too, a nice seller told me to do this and it is quite revealing! The horse that is the love of their life and it turns out they sold about 5 in one year! Um!

Horse 22 chucked me off on second viewing the one that" never bucks "....you know it bronc'd all way down a hedge....& "its NEVER done that before" as it does.

My young son was chucked off "its never done that before" I mean he was about 12 years old as it bucked like hell.....urghh. They are out there but you will meet some interesting people.

I do agree its not always lots of money that will ensure its a good horse..friend paid £25k for a load of rubbish once and then paid someone to ride it! My rel paid £50 for a filly and it ended up doing really well and front of horse magazine etc etc we sat my 2 year old son on that one it was so good.

But lies especially as its so time consuming. If you are near a good dealer worth registering etc what you are looking for. Could save you a lot of time too?

indie999

Visit site
I saw 35 when I was looking for my grey horse. The horse I had before her taught me to be careful and more picky. :D

Gosh I thought I was unlucky I have a lot of catching up to do. People keep asking me if I am going to start looking again?? not sure still.

oh good luck and I hope you find something. I even think of a donkey or some other 4 legged creature to look after. My family suggested a goat!