:@ people who think they get up the competition ladder with money

rhino

Visit site
I'm sure there are plenty of people around who feel it's not fair that you have (or have had) a horse and they haven't.

I'm sorry you lost your mare to colic :(

SO1

Visit site
I do agree that money certainly helps especially if you also do not need to work so have plenty of time to train and get out to competitions. I am also sorry to hear about your horse.

It is also frustrating when people don't seem to appreciate that the money has helped them.

However you may see someone with loads of money to do what they want but it does not mean that they are happy or their life will always be like that. I know how easy it is to get frustrated and want what others have I always seem to be the poor relative at yards I am on not only that I don't even have the time either than sometimes people who are high flyers earning loads dont have! However I know my life is pretty good and I am lucky - I am careful with money. I could have bought a lorry and have had another horse but that would have left me no emergency money should life go wrong and it has with my pony needing to go away for expensive rehab and I have been able to afford it due to having built up decent savings over the year through being frugal.

Yes there maybe people whoose families pay for their flashy horse and lorry and that don't have to work. However maybe it is guilt money as the parents spend so much time working that they don't get to spend time with their children. Or perhaps that person has inherited their money and someone they have loved has died and they would much rather have that person alive than the money.

I remember at uni there was this girl everyone said had a charmed life had a great family, very clever, pretty went on to get high powered job without having to move away from her family ties, met what seemed like the perfect man they had two lovely kids and beautiful house. 20 years later her beloved mum has died of cancer, her husband ran off with a colleague and took her to the cleaners taking nearly all the money she had worked so hard to earn.

I think perhaps we need to be careful what what you wish for life can seem better for others but that is just the surface.

When I see people going out in their horseboxes or trailers and not having to work part time instead of feeling jealous I think about all those people who would love to have a horse and could not afford one who are very envious of me. I am lucky enough to be able to hack to competitions and the RC which also organises training with top level instructors at reduced prices. There is also some satisfaction that when I hack to a competition on my pony especially if the weather is not good and everyone is snug in their comfy big lorries and I look on rather jealously and we then go on to beat these people in the classes. I do dressage and SJ and don't have a very expensive pony, I even remember at a SJ training a lady saying to her daughter look at that pony jump see you don't need a flashy pony to do well.

sophiebailey

Visit site
Sorry about your horse OP :( that's awful.

I can understand how you feel, sometimes I feel jealous of the people who have nice things and win lots, but then I think to myself there's nothing I can do about it other than enjoy my time with my horse and have fun, and work hard at my degree so that maybe in ten years time I'll be the person with the nice shiny lorry :)

Try not to get too disheartened. With the right amount of work (both job-wise and with your horses) we can all be 'those' people. It is important to remember though that despite certain friends having a lot of money, they need talent to ride the horses they've brought, so don't accuse people (to their face anyway) of having things 'handed to them' as you don't know how much hard work they've put in to get it :) I could win the lottery and buy an aeroplane tomorrow, doesn't mean I'd know how to fly it though! Xxx

SO1

Visit site
In answer to the OP orginal question I think Anna Ross started out at a RS and did not have own horses until she was an adult and was able to afford to buy them herself.

JustMe22

Visit site
Yes, I do know people who've done very well. A good horse, and good instruction etc can get you a long way.

But that is the way it is, and you can't hold it against people for having money ;) if I had lots of money, I'd buy good horses and have good instruction too!

Auslander

Visit site
In answer to the OP orginal question I think Anna Ross started out at a RS and did not have own horses until she was an adult and was able to afford to buy them herself.

She did! I worked at the same riding school, and she was in the flat next door to me. She worked her tail off, and did it all through sheer determination and talent. She certainly didn't have money! An inspiration to all, that girl!

Kokopelli

Visit site
Most riders at a high(ish) level have money. If you haven't got money you need to get your name out there but sadly it's much easier to get your name out there when you can afford to buy a decent horse in the first place.

It's a fact of horses and competition and once you begin to accept it you'll be much happier. :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do agree that money certainly helps especially if you also do not need to work so have plenty of time to train and get out to competitions. I am also sorry to hear about your horse.

It is also frustrating when people don't seem to appreciate that the money has helped them.

However you may see someone with loads of money to do what they want but it does not mean that they are happy or their life will always be like that. I know how easy it is to get frustrated and want what others have I always seem to be the poor relative at yards I am on not only that I don't even have the time either than sometimes people who are high flyers earning loads dont have! However I know my life is pretty good and I am lucky - I am careful with money. I could have bought a lorry and have had another horse but that would have left me no emergency money should life go wrong and it has with my pony needing to go away for expensive rehab and I have been able to afford it due to having built up decent savings over the year through being frugal.

Yes there maybe people whoose families pay for their flashy horse and lorry and that don't have to work. However maybe it is guilt money as the parents spend so much time working that they don't get to spend time with their children. Or perhaps that person has inherited their money and someone they have loved has died and they would much rather have that person alive than the money.

I remember at uni there was this girl everyone said had a charmed life had a great family, very clever, pretty went on to get high powered job without having to move away from her family ties, met what seemed like the perfect man they had two lovely kids and beautiful house. 20 years later her beloved mum has died of cancer, her husband ran off with a colleague and took her to the cleaners taking nearly all the money she had worked so hard to earn.

I think perhaps we need to be careful what what you wish for life can seem better for others but that is just the surface.

When I see people going out in their horseboxes or trailers and not having to work part time instead of feeling jealous I think about all those people who would love to have a horse and could not afford one who are very envious of me. I am lucky enough to be able to hack to competitions and the RC which also organises training with top level instructors at reduced prices. There is also some satisfaction that when I hack to a competition on my pony especially if the weather is not good and everyone is snug in their comfy big lorries and I look on rather jealously and we then go on to beat these people in the classes. I do dressage and SJ and don't have a very expensive pony, I even remember at a SJ training a lady saying to her daughter look at that pony jump see you don't need a flashy pony to do well.

SO1 you sound like a lovely person.

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
Sometimes it isn't fair. I felt like that when I lost my horse. Now sometimes I grumble because I don't have the money to compete often, but them I am lucky just to have a fantastic share horse.
People bitch about Katie Price - if I had her money and her love for riding (which she has done for years) would I buy expensive horses and have the best trainers and stable them wi them? Hell yeah!! It must be like her childhood dream to have these amazing horses. I'm envious, but not jealous. She was lucky, and I think she is also quite a clever minded business woman behind the taking her clothes off

Burmilla

Visit site
And I know a lady with a doting, very wealthy and supportive husband, who pays for her five fabulously well bred WBs, her lessons every 10 days with a world class Olympic silver medallist rider and trainer, the lovely equine estate they live on, the huge shiny horse box, doting grooms, handbag dogs etc etc. She rarely wins anything at any level, anywhere, because, imho, she is very overhorsed and somewhat nervous. She also impatient, overdemanding and inconsistent with her horses.
For all her husband's money, she is never really happy, always saying 'it's not fair, x has a better trainer, y a more expensive horse and z is the judge's best friend, so of course she won".
Money doesn't buy success, it allows you to be miserable in comfort!
So sorry about your horse, very sad.

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
i am a good enough rider its that fact i lost my horse to colic before i could take her to competitions which was really heartbreaking for me as she was my bestfriends

It is heartbreaking, and I'm sorry for the loss. But, things do happen. When I lost my horse and quit riding, I never thought 7 years later I would be riding a lap of honour or bursting into tears because of a fantastic dressage score. I never thought the horse that was stabled on the same yard as the horse I lost would appear again 10 years later for me to ride. And every single day I see her, I hug her because life is too short. Competing doesn't always matter, I don't remember the competitions on my old horse, I remember his whinny, and how his mane smelt, and the frosty morning hacks, and the way he ate a polo
You couldn't do it on that horse, so do it on the next, and do it for the horse you lost

maresmaid

Visit site
I'm not sure it would improve my chances of getting up the competition ladder, but if i am honest if i had lots of spare cash i would use it to buy all those things (apart from the gadgets). However until such time as i win the lottery i plan to thouroughly enjoy making the most of what i have got right now. We should never lose sight of the fact that in so many ways we are all really lucky to have horses in our lives. When we lose our much loved equine friend it is easy to concentrate on the loss, our lives feel so empty and we have a big space to fill, at times like this life seems unfair - which it is, however if we dwell too much on what we DON'T have we can fail to enjoy and make the most of what we DO have and this is a huge handicap for a person who wants to reach their full potential in any competition.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'll tell you about something that always makes me smile.
Years ago when I started eventing I was friends with a girl. She had extremely wealthy parents. She also decided she wanted to try eventing.
Parents went to a local successful eventer & bought her 2 very good horses (in addition to the 2 other horses she had ;)) they kept them on full livery with the event rider & she had 4 lessons a week.
In addition to the horses she got a brand new Oakley with a personalised number plate. Horses were kitted out in expensive tack, rugs etc & they paid for a groom to do everything for her at comps (plaiting etc)
She had a lot if success at Intro & Pre-novice.

She then decides that she is going to become an eventer full time. Parents arrange for her to spend time training with an international 4* eventer (rumour has it a considerable 'sponsership' sum was paid so that she wouldn't have to be a working pupil)
The told said event rider to source her 2 more good horses at whatever cost.
While she was away training they purpose built her a yard at home. Beautiful American barn stables, huge manège, horse walker, horse solarium & even a small schooling cross country course.
Not longer after this I left the area & we lost touch. I often wondered why I never saw her at Badminton/Burghley etc.
One day I bumped into her & asked her how the eventing was going. She had given up :O
She told me that it was far too hard to get anywhere with it.

That's just it, unless you REALLY want to do it all the money/advantages aren't going to win you the rosettes :)

helena29

Visit site
I am a bit of a lurker but wanted to post. I am really sorry you lost your horse.

I am a horribly jealous person, I used to read horse forums a lot, but have been getting less frequent as I can only afford to have a lesson once a week, and reading other peoples posts about their horses, their relationships with them, making progress together .... made me very bitter.

I have no aspirations to be a competition rider - I am not naturally talented, I just want to ride because it is my favorite thing to do.

I would do anything to change my circumstances to even just be able to loan a horse once a week, but at the moment that is impossible. I am about to loose my job and will have have less frequent lessons, perhaps stop them altogether until I can find another one. I will ask if my family can buy me some lessons for christmas.

However, I have to be realistic, I have my dog, I have somewhere to live, if I cant afford the mortgage while I am out of work, my family may be able to help out. It is a lot more than many other people in the world.

It used to drive me mad having people tell me "there are people worse off than you" well, it still does, but I am trying my best to be content by telling myself that I have to appreciate what I have, it is not easy at all, especially when I see other people who happen to have been born into different circumstances or have the luck / ability to get well paid jobs, friends, relationships etc...

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Helena29, keep at it, it may come right. I do have horses and associated stuff nowadays but for 25 years I had no contact with horses whatsoever, a lesson once a week would have been utterly unaffordable.

Keep on with the horse forums, you may find your horsey fix attainable after all. There are people out there like me who would be happy to have someone come and ride with no need for financial contribution but in exchange for a hand with some of the horse-related chores. In fact if you're anywhere near North Cambs PM me and we'll see what we can do!

cyberhorse

Visit site
Helena29 it is worth contacting local yards and chatting to people at tack shops. There are many people who will swap riding for chores. I did this for years when I could not afford to pay for lessons. You also can end up getting offered a FT job at a yard if they need someone and you have proven to be reliable.

helena29

Visit site
It may be an option, I am in the process of swapping rs for a number of reasons, my previous one allowed me to stay and help out, but not in return for anything.

I will start looking round when my job finishes, unfortunately, I do not live in a very horsey area and do not drive.

I am also 31 and 13 stone so that will put a lot of people off. I have aspergers which affects my coordination and balance a bit,. Although not enough to be restricting to normal, every day life, I do find it very difficult to keep my balance walking over muddy fields, especially leading horses - fallen over more than once doing that!

I will continue to look out for something though - there may be someone who wants help and even if there was no riding involved, it would keep me busy while I am not working.

tinap

Visit site
Yes this sport costs money. My daughter has long since realised that she must work hard & get a decent job to get anywhere.

It is frustrating when you scrimp & save to keep 1 pony & to get to a show once a month. When my daughter was younger she used to get really upset & peed off when others she has competed against for years always seemed to do better & get to the massive shows. I sat her down & actually showed her that she was as good - she has 1 pony & say she got 4 flts in a class, she would then see that the one that won actually got 4/8/eliminated on the 3 other ponies they brought along, but yes they won on their 4th ride. We can only afford to keep one pony & can't go to shows every weekend, so it makes sense that others do better when they can afford to get out there & actually do more. I could remortgage my house like some have done to buy her a top pony but there is no way I would!!

She has started to see things in a different light now & has been offered rides to bring on young ponies. She enjoys competing much more now & is proud of the fact that she can get a double clear in a British novice class on a 5yr old she has brought on herself. The envy she used to have is gone & she is seeing that hard work is getting her results. No, she's not competing at HOYS like her peers are but she knows she has the talent for bringing on youngsters which hopefully one day may fund her to get higher up.

Hard work & determination are much better qualities to have than envy xx

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
It may be an option, I am in the process of swapping rs for a number of reasons, my previous one allowed me to stay and help out, but not in return for anything.

I will start looking round when my job finishes, unfortunately, I do not live in a very horsey area and do not drive.

I am also 31 and 13 stone so that will put a lot of people off. I have aspergers which affects my coordination and balance a bit,. Although not enough to be restricting to normal, every day life, I do find it very difficult to keep my balance walking over muddy fields, especially leading horses - fallen over more than once doing that!

I will continue to look out for something though - there may be someone who wants help and even if there was no riding involved, it would keep me busy while I am not working.

Well, check to see if you're near me. Three of mine would easily take your weight and are used to me leaning on them to keep my balance:)

Spiritedly

Visit site
I have to admit when I was younger....still at school....I got upset/jealous that I was working every minute I could at the local stables in return for lessons and the chance to take the ponies that weren't being hired out to shows, and at every show there would be the crowd whose parents could buy them an expensive pony that they never had to muck out, or groom etc and they'd win all classes,not through their talent but through the ponies. As I got older I started to realise that I had something they didn't, a bond with the pony I rode and we enjoyed what we were doing whether we won or not. I'll always remember at one a show a young girl got beaten in the jump off and her mother started ranting that 'they hadn't paid all that money for a pony that didn't win' and I was sitting there over joyed that I'd come 6th on a pony that usually wouldn't jump.
I think most of us have probably been jealous at some point of someone who appears to have more than us, thought 'well I'd be jumping as well as he Whitakers or competing against Charlotte if my parents could have brought me the type of ponies they had when I was younger', but there comes a point when no matter how much the horse cost if you can't ride it won't win.

showpony

Visit site
Op sorry to hear about your horse.
Unfortunatly money does talk these days but not everyone is a " Monster" - Your friend through is a bit of a pratt for bragging so much but we all come across these type of people on a daily basis!

I work bloody hard to afford our 2 & to the outside world people think we are loaded which couldnt be further than the truth:) I did get a bit of inheritance money which I bought my mare with but everything else, tack, livery ,shoes etc are afforded through pure slog!
I do know how lucky I am to be in the position I am & a good friend who rides my mare once/twice a week , she can't afford her own - I could get the yard to exercise her but my friend gets so much joy out of riding her I am happy to let her. Also happy to let the younger kids fuss about her & answer any questions they may have as I had horrid experiences with horse owners when I was younger , god forbit if I went within 10 feet of one horse in particular who was " bred to compete & she didnt want the horse messed up:rolleyes:

Edited to Say if I COULD Afford it would of course be happy to have shiny trailer , showjumping coach etc... !

Last edited:

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Oooh I spot a greeneyed monster!

Go on - "It's not fair"

And no, at the top levels there is no subsitute for talent and graft, you simply cannot buy your way to the top without lifting a finger.

btw I've been on both sides of the divide, my daughter's first pony was bought for meat money and was cheaper to run than a Sky subscription and we had an ancient old transit because it was cheaper than buying a trailer and car, our car wouldn't pull a trailer. She and I both had loads of fun and loads of rosettes with him, her lessons came via Pony Club. Due to change in circumstances - I'm sure you'd call it "luck" but actually it's down to hard graft and making major economies- we now have all the things you are so envious of, and we still don't have Sky!

So get your nose to the grindstone and earn yourself the things you want but I'm afraid without talent you still won't get to the top.

^^^ This!! Very well said!

Why should the OP care, unless...the green-eyed monster.

BBH

Visit site
There is no doubt money helps, its not just about talent its about opening doors and connections and everyone knows how much SJers love people with money. Money buys you good horses, top and frequent training and costs to get to shows etc etc to gain experience.

However to really be successful you need hard work and determination and a good business brain. Its not enough these days to just ride well. There are those who have made it without money but they are the few. I can only think of Anna RD who has been mentioned but even she only rose to prominence when bought top horses by wealthy owners. So whether its your own money or not you need to attach yourself to someone who does have it.

Having said that I'd hate to be someone like Scott Brash who now seems to be ' owned' by the Harris' and co. Yes he's got the top horses but I'd hate to have no control over my own destiny.

If I wanted to earn a living from horses I'd definitely want money as your progress up the ladder would be so much quicker.

I think the OP sounds very young and is just suffering a bit of money envy.

Last edited: