People who use draw reins...

Llanali

Visit site

Tnavas

Visit site
Rather than draw reins go for a Market Harborough - they work in a similar fashion to draw reins but have a limiting factor on them - so you can never overbend the horse.

Draw reins can be difficult to work with especially if you're not used to riding with two reins. It is very easy to over shorten them and cause the horse to overbend.

If you HAVE to use them then only ride in them when you are under instruction.

Also look at other reasons for the horse not wanting to soften to the contact - such as back and neck problems - often the poll being out of alignment will prevent a horse flexing there as it is painful. Check saddle fit, teeth and also the quality of the contact you are offering the horse. Intermittent contact will not help. Often working on maintaining a contact without worrying about outline will help.

hayley.t

Visit site
With all respect I would rather follow my instructors advice as she knows the horse and the situation. I can understand if I said that I had just decided to use them but I am following my instructors advice. There is no physical problem with the horse as he is fine and working well, it is just for a specific situation and I will most certainly not be using them to pull his head in. I will not be using them to achieve a false outline or looking for a quick fix, I have never used any other gadgets on him and believe in schooling and work for progression.

Edit- also want to say thank you to everyone who has answered my original question.

GlamourDol

Visit site
Hayley, sounds silly but how big are your hands? I find the webbing ones far to chunky and much prefer a leather one that just feels like a second rein.
What does your trainer have? Perhaps have a feel of some in a tack shop and see which ones feel more comfortable.

hayley.t

Visit site
I think I will get leather, I am used to riding with 2 leather reins and find that ok. My instructors were leather. I was just trying to be cheap as i'd seen webbing ones on ebay for 99p!! lol. I am going for a trip to the tack shop on Saturday (if I have time in my busy kitten microwaving schedule... :p) so will have a feel.

Tnavas

Visit site
With all respect I would rather follow my instructors advice as she knows the horse and the situation. I can understand if I said that I had just decided to use them but I am following my instructors advice. There is no physical problem with the horse as he is fine and working well, it is just for a specific situation and I will most certainly not be using them to pull his head in. I will not be using them to achieve a false outline or looking for a quick fix, I have never used any other gadgets on him and believe in schooling and work for progression.

Edit- also want to say thank you to everyone who has answered my original question.

So what are you using them for then?

The general use for draw reins is to place the horses head in an outline, then the rider hopefully rides the horse forward so that the back end is working correctly.

Instructors that advise the use of draw reins are usually after a quick fix.

I will be honest as say that if any instructor advised me to use draw reins they would no longer be my instructor.

They are very easy to misuse, which is whhy if you are after a gadget that does the same job but better a MArket Harborough is ideal.

MandyMoo

Visit site
I have to laugh at this place if the OP was saying she was going to use an equiami, a Pessoa, side reins or even a martingale she would just get a reply to her reply....but because she mentioned...dun...dun...dun..[gasp] draw reins there is a reply akin to her suggesting that she is going to beat up her horse & suggestions that she should only ever use them under supervision.

A training aid is a training aid. None are worse than another provided they are used correctly However used incorrectly they all can cause damage. I hate Pessoas with an absolute passion, I think they clunk at a horses mouth & I've seen side reins used to the point of cruelty they were so tight!
Just because draw reins can be used to tie a horse in don't assume all users of them do!

Anyway OP I have used webbing ones but I much leather ones.

ditto this! a training aid is a training aid...all can be very useful if used correctly and for the right reason. If used incorrectly or for the wrong reasons ANY training aid can cause problems.

OP I have used leather and webbing, and prefer leather- but if you're only using them a couple of times for an odd lesson, I'd go for webbing as they're cheaper, or borrow your instructors ones! :smile3:

TarrSteps

Visit site
So what are you using them for then?

The general use for draw reins is to place the horses head in an outline, then the rider hopefully rides the horse forward so that the back end is working correctly.

Instructors that advise the use of draw reins are usually after a quick fix.

I will be honest as say that if any instructor advised me to use draw reins they would no longer be my instructor.

They are very easy to misuse, which is whhy if you are after a gadget that does the same job but better a MArket Harborough is ideal.

The advantage to draw reins over a Market Harborough is in finesse and adjustability. While you do not have the option of being completely neutral with draw reins - the weight of the rein and the leverage will always exert force, even if the reins are just tied on the neck - you can immediately and almost infinitely adjust the relative strength of the two reins. With a MH you are locked into whatever adjustment you've set up within a movement and limited to only a very small number of adjustments.

There are lots of situations where draw reins are abused, of course. They produce a huge amount of leverage and people have to be aware of the significant force they are exerting particularly on the delicate structures of the jaw and neck. That said, there are instances where judicious application can make a request very clear to a horse, particularly in retraining situations, and save hours of drill and wrong work. It's a calculated risk, to be sure. (It seems to be a bit of a running joke that most trainers use them less and less as they get older and would presumably be more schooled in using them.)

I think it's a bit dangerous to start talking about this or that piece of tack being "dangerous" and suggesting it should be forbidden. It implies if someone is actively against that piece of equipment then their training must, by default, be correct and humane. The fact is, it's all in the using and that goes for EVERYTHING. You can wreck a horse in a snaffle if you try hard enough and I know horses that have gone regularly in draw reins that have gone on to have long, healthy careers. If it were as easy as do this or do that, there would be far fewer broken/badly trained horses in the world!

Goldenstar

Visit site
You can't 'give ' using a market harborough with giving away all the contact but with a with a draw rien you can choose it it's acting are not .
The market harborough is a far cruder tool.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I like the Shires continental ones as they're not too big for my hands (squashable) and they have a weight to them. Also, I just like continental reins :)

samlg

Visit site
PLEASE don't use them at all. Full stop.

I've just seen a lovely young horse with a neck like a buffalo...... he'd been ridden in draw reins and has had to have physio plus looks absolutely over-developed in his front end, whilst lacking condition behind.

IMO anybody thinking of using draw reins should put them on themselves first, and see how they like it. Awful things :(

This is so typical, why do people hear the word draw reins like others have said and think its the worst thing in the world to use!! They are saving my backside at the minute with a rather fresh young one out hacking that think its fun to launch himself into the air when my dog bolts past, at 18hh that's not fun!! The draw reins help me to contain his exuberance! Anything at all when used incorrectly whilst riding can be dangerous, like the people with bad hands that feel the need to use huge strong bits, no worse than using draw reins incorrectly. As others have said they are VERY useful when used correctly as you can set the length yourself and drop the contact on the draw rein if no longer needed and then take it back up again if it is needed, its not rocket science to ride with 2 reins either so I rather these to Market Harborough but each to their own. Another vote for the Mark Todd half cord half leather, nice soft leather and not too thick. Hope you get on well with them.