People who work all day but have a dog?

Jingleballs

Visit site
How many of you do this? How long is your dog left alone in the house for?

At the moment I have a 10 year old cross breed – I’ve had him since a puppy and I love him to bits – he’s part of the family!

When I moved out of my parents house he came with me but because me and my partner work all day and my parents are retired I drop the dog off at their house every morning and then pick him up after work so he’s got company most of the day.

My parents say that once he goes they won’t be looking after any future dogs I buy so I’d resigned myself to either having no pets when Bailey goes or getting cats but OH says no to cats! I’m just sitting watching the BBC feature on unwanted pets and I don’t know if I ever could not have a dog and would love to one day give a home to one or ideally 2 rescue dogs but would that then be unfair to leave them alone in the house from 8 am til 5pm each day? Even if they were walked for say 30 minutes in the morning and then taken up to the yard with me at night? I know quite a few people who seem to do this successfully but is this really fair to the dog?

Hopefully this is all way in the future as Bailey’s only 10 and god willing has many good years ahead of him yet but I just wondered what others do?

Bug2007

Visit site
I have a rescue Greyhound and he is left five days a week at home during the day while i'm at work. 8 Hours. he does sometimes come into work with me when he wants to but most of the time he stays on the bed and refuses to get up.....clearly happy at home.
Not sure i'd do it with a working type dog, but being a Grey he likes his sleep.

posie_honey

Visit site
mine are home alone all day - that's a 2 yr old cocker - a 5 yr old lab and an aged springer spangle - they are fine - its their routine :)

they get a 40min cycle ride run in the morning at 6.30 - and a walk at night usually about 6.30 again -which about 30mins or more depending on route taken, my time and weather etc

so they are alone from 7.45 ish until about 6ish at night - they just sleep happy as larry

ETA - all mine we've has from the age of 1 as rescues - i'd not get a pup for those hours = i think that would be a bit unfair

Scoutie

Visit site
I used to have a dog, she used to go to work with my husband, when he changed his job we had a dog walker during the day. At one point we even had a live in aupair for her! When she died I looked at having a rescue dog but because I work full time even if the dog was put into 'nursery' i.e. a bit like sending a child to a child minder, they would not let me have one. It seems ridiculous that I could buy a puppy but not have a rescue dog and give it a good home.

I contacted more than one rescue centre and had the same answer from all of them.

cobgirlie

Visit site
I work full time, have 6 rescue dogs of my own and foster for a rescue I help run so currently have 4 foster dogs too. They are all left at home and I have no problems. They do however get more than enough exercise and my constant attention when I am at home. I believe that if the dog has company and suffiencent (sp) exercise it will be perfectly happy home for certain periods.

I wouldn't allow a puppy to be rehomed to a full time working home but we can and do rehome adult dogs that are happy to be left all the time. We do assess each home on it's merits and not on a blanket list.

BBH

Visit site
I think if you have two dogs of a similar nature it works fine. I have two couch potato bull breeds who love nothing more than a cosy place to sleep. If I am working they have a good run in the morning at the park and a dog walker comes at lunchtime. Then they come onto the yard in the evenings about 5pm.

I think any home is better than a rescue kennel tbh and I wish rescue homes would relax their dislike of full time workers. Its also about quality of time spent aswell , someone who is at home all day or takes the dog to work could just leave them in the background whereas someone who works FT makes time out their day to spend with the dog.

Nothing is black and white and I think you'd be fine to have dogs. I have always had dogs and couldn't imagine a home without them but I also make allowances to ensure they live a quality life.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I work full time, have two dogs, walk them AM, PM or both, in rolling hills and forests and go training at least once a week.
I have been to some of the local rescues/sanctuaries. IMO, my dogs are very lucky.
It's not ideal for a baby puppy but it would not stop me taking on a stable youngster or anything older.

gothdolly

Visit site
my greyhound was fine all day when I was at work (lay on the bed and I dont think he moved all day!) but I have a dog walker for my retriever...

I think it depends on the dog and the age and temperement. I can highly recommend a greyhound if you want a lazy couch potatoe!

Rana

Visit site
I work full time and have a puppy. I'm lucky and work close to home, so I don't have much of a commute (5 minutes) and I can pop home at lunchtime. When she was younger, she came to work with me every afternoon. We're now getting a rescue dog (on Saturday), so they will be left alone all day, but I'll be home at lunchtime to give them a leg stretch and some company.

As above, when we're home, our dog(s) get our full attention. Ditto on walks - I don't just leave them, I'm always interacting with them, letting them run ahead, calling back, playing ball etc. We also do training classes and the associated homework and follow up, and hoping to start agility and flyball in the new year.

PerdixPerdix

Visit site
i wouldnt resign yourself to not having any dogs in the future at all.

you just have to think about the breed, e.g there is no point getting a working springer puppy, it will probably go mad alone or tear your house up. saying that all the working cockers ive had are queens of the sofa until theres a pheasant in veiw.

Alot of people have extremely happy canines and still hold down a full time job. as long as you get a dog used to being alone, by introducing it to its own company slowly instead of just leaving it one day and expecting it to cope, and provide it with the exersize and stimulation it needs then you should be okay..

or, simplest of all, get two!!!

echodomino

Visit site
OH and I work full time at the same place. We've just smuggled Millie in (rented house/naughty me) and the worse she gets is 5 and a half hours alone, an hours company and 4 hours alone again. She has the radio on and gets a good run either before or after work and a potter down to work if I go to get OH - we're lucky in that we live within walking distance of work. When we get our own house there'll be 4 dogs and if we're not close enough to home we'll have a dog flap.

We're hopefully having a JRT pup next year.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments.

Of course the individual temperament of the dog(s) would be a huge factor -I wouldn't take on a working dog or a dog who was unhappy being left alone.

A dog walker is another option although I'd have to consider the costs!

Dogs would have the run of the house - I don't limit my dog to where he can go and Bailey spends most of his time lying asleep on our bed!

RobinHood

Visit site
It's certainly possible it just depends on the individual dog.

My 3 family dogs have always been on their own 8 til 4 with permanent access to a large garden. They are coach potatoes and spend the day sunbathing on the patio, dozing on the lawn, resting in their beds etc. They are 11, 7 and 2 (yorkie, lab and lurcher) and we've had each of them from a puppy so they've grown up with the routine. Whenever we've got a new dog we've always timed it so that someone will be at home for the first 6 weeks or so. With the youngest one my grandmother came to stay with us for 2 weeks to puppysit bless her.

On the other hand my own dog is another lurcher and he's really not a house dog. I was living at home when I got him at 8 weeks old and right from the beginning I took him to work with me on a yard during the day time. He now lives with me on the yard and spends his days running along behind the tractor, sleeping in the haybarn and terrorising the local rabbit population. I do leave him at my parents house with our other dogs if I'm going out for the day but he can only manage one day before he starts bouncing off the walls. The other dogs look so relieved when I pick him up and the peace and quiet is restored :rolleyes:.

That ended up rather long, sorry. In short I think it just depends on the individual dog and what they're used to.

zandp

Visit site
We had dog walkers when Patch was younger (JRT/Staffie/probably Corgi). As he's got older he's happy to stay asleep at home with a walk before and after work and a longer walk each day at the weekend.

shadowboy

Visit site
I work 38 weeks of the year (college teacher) from 9-4.30pm I walk dog at 7.30 to 8am then OH gets home at half 4pm and walks her from 4.30-5.30pm she is alone. However I only work a half day on a wed and the Oh doesn't work every other friday (flexi time) so hes only alone 4.5 days a week 38 weeks of the year max. She's a very happy dog too. :)

reddie

Visit site
I work full-tme and my OH works shifts on a 7 day basis so is off between 1 and 4 days during the week. When we are both at work, they are on their own from 8.30 to 12.30, i come home and spend an hour with them and take them for a walk. I get back from work about 4.30 and take them for a 30 min walk. When its light nights they go for about hour run down the fields.

prosefullstop

Visit site
I'm freelance, so my schedule varies, but on days when I'm gone between 9 and 6, I walk the dogs for twenty minutes before I leave, then our dog walker takes them to the park for a good hour's run about late morning; as soon as I get home, I either take them for an hour's walk on leash (winter) or to the dog park (summer).

I aim for 2-3 hours of exercise per day and more at weekends, when we usually depart the city to do some hiking in the woods or walks on the beach.

I think dogs can adjust just fine to being left all day, but I already have the guilt trip for living with dogs in an apartment and like to provide them with as much exercise as possible.

Jennypenny

Visit site
I work full time and have three dogs. They get a good walk in the morining. I go home in my lunch break and let them out and check them etc. You could either as everyone says get a dog walker or get a dog flap. My mum has a dog flap for her collie and he prefers to spend most his time in the garden, but comes in if the weather is bad or cold.

Dog Ears

Visit site
I am currently in the process of setting up a dog walking service in the Southampton/ New Forest area of Hampshire and want to provide the best possible service. Therefore, I would really appreciate help with some basic market research from Horse & Hound members, who know about dogs.

There are only 10 questions!

Your contribution will help me to plan my service. Thank you in advance.

Thank you also to the admins for allowing me to post.

JillA

Visit site
I had dogs (always more than one) when I was working full time, and I had an average sized garden with a good open fronted barn and a covered yard with access to a shed. My dogs spent the days outdoors (took a while to proof the garden against escapes by a JRT :) ) and kind neighbours used to come and give them the odd dog biscuit or three during the day. Dogs were fine, neighbours effectively had foster dogs to interact with and then the dogs came to the yard with me in the evenings and weekends. Worked fine, you just have to set it up right.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I am currently in the process of setting up a dog walking service in the Southampton/ New Forest area of Hampshire and want to provide the best possible service. Therefore, I would really appreciate help with some basic market research from Horse & Hound members, who know about dogs.

There are only 10 questions!

Your contribution will help me to plan my service. Thank you in advance.

Thank you also to the admins for allowing me to post.

Dog Ears....I had a look at your survey. In the question 'what is important to you in selecting a dog walking service' I notice that you didn't mention insurance! Maybe you assumed, but maybe food for thought. I would never entrust any of my dogs to anyone without insurance.

Dog Ears

Visit site
Thank you gunnerdog. Following your comment (which others have made similarly elsewhere), I have added another 'Other' where you can specify by writing it in a box. These other comments do show up on the analysis.

Initially, I tried to think of the most important points, without making the questionnnaire too big or complex. But, I have rewritten it once already and I may have to make ongoing adjustments.

= = = = =

Thank you to those that have taken the time to complete the survey, it is much appreciated.

hihosilver

Visit site
I am getting a puppy in 2 weeks and she will be alone from 7-30-430. I will be with her for the first week and then I am having my neighbour come in about 12 till 130 and take her out in the garden. When she is bigger I will employ a dog walker. I have a crate and a bed and eventually she will be in the kitchen.

MileAMinute

Visit site
I'm currently still at home (in process of moving out). I work nights and my mother works during the day, so it works out brilliantly.
I walk him when I get in, he snoozes with me and then when I set off for work, my mother is shortly home and she takes him out.

When I move out the dog is hopefully coming with but I will be at home a lot more. On days that I won't, we will arrange for doggy day care with a lovely company who take pride in what they do and I'm confident in.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think it is OK for an older dog but it must be a bit dull for just one or a pup. I would get two in your situation, OP, and get them as adults.

Vindaloo

Visit site
I won't leave my dogs for more than 4 hours. Any longer and I get a walker or sitter in. I've completed the survey also.

Despite having three dogs and not leaving them for long, one of mine is a house destroyer. i absolutely could not contemplate leaving them alone all day.

Meems

Visit site
I won't leave my dogs for more than 4 hours. Any longer and I get a walker or sitter in. I've completed the survey also.

Despite having three dogs and not leaving them for long, one of mine is a house destroyer. i absolutely could not contemplate leaving them alone all day.

Me neither, I wouldn't regularly leave a dog alone all day, 4 hours would be my maximum too.