People who work all day but have a dog?

BSL

Visit site
My husband works from home. I work 3 x 4 hour shifts. Only now have we got two pups. Old fashioned in todays eyes, but I was brought up to believe a dog/dogs should not be alone all day. They need interaction with their owners, exercise, toileting etc. Its like having a child. If you can afford the equivalent of a "Nanny", then fine.

{97702}

Visit site
Didn't realise... Nevertheless, relevant today every bit as much as back then don't you think?

I guess so.....I have been on here far too long and seen this topic discussed on many, many occasions :) For me it is like any debate, everyone is convinced that their view is the correct one and very few people will change their mind. I am quite happy that my dogs are left all day (albeit that they are let out at lunchtime) and I know the dogs are quite happy with it too :) :)

Vindaloo

Visit site
Oh god, me too. Long time on here but more lurker than poster. I'd be happy to leave all day with a lunch time pee break and cuddles. Just not longer than that without a toilet break is all. Couldn't bear to think of them busting for the loo all day.

Had a terrible time with a so called walker years back. She didn't even turn up to let the dog out, let alone give him a pee break. I only found out when I was off sick!

{97702}

Visit site
OMG I have just seen your join date - I go back to 2006 (under various user names) so you have seen more than me :D :D

I am so happy that I have hit gold with my dog-letter-outer, she is absolutely fabulous - phew!!!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have a working bred whippet and a whippety lurcher. My OH works shifts which means one week its 2 hours alone and the next week its 7 hours. We used to have a dog walker, but my whippet got so distressed by it we had to stop. He was apparently fine when being picked up and out on walks etc, but when I came in he was totally hysterical. I'm not completely sure why, but he IS an absolute drama queen to the point he throws up if my OH drops me off somewhere in the car and I dont come back :lol:

Both dogs sleep all day, even when we are home. When they are going to be left they are literally dragged out of bed for a wee, then gallop back upstairs to bed. Their preferred routine is sleep until 11am, have a quick wee, charge back to bed and burrow under the duvet, and get up for the day at 3pm. This fits in with our routine, although they get dragged out for a wee at 8 am every other week.

If anyone was looking for a dog that was happy to be left then the right sight hound would work. One of mine had the most horrific separation anxiety as a puppy, but we worked through that, and now as an adult he couldnt care less, other than he'd like a body in our bed to snuggle up to. My OH is changing shifts to work nights very shortly, and their life will be complete as they will literally never have to get out of bed, and there will always be a body in there with them :lol:

Starzaan

Visit site
I won't leave myogs for more than 4 hours. Any longer and I get a walker or sitter in. I've completed the survey also.

Despite having three dogs and not leaving them for long, one of mine is a house destroyer. i absolutely could not contemplate leaving them alone all day.

I have two dogs - a great Dane and a dane cross Doberman. When u got them I had my own livery yard and they were out on the yard or asleep in the tack room from 5am Til 6pm. Unfortunately now our circumstances have changed and I now live alone, and work 9 to 3 managing a therapeutic riding centre. They can't come with me because they would frighten our clients. I wouldn't dream of leaving them for that time. I have a dog walker who picks them up at 10, takes them for a stonking walk, and drops them home at 2. If I'm going to finish work late (say 5) she will take them for another walk (not quite so long) at 4ish. I walk them for an hour before work, and then they get at least a half an hour run around in the fields when I get home.

I wouldn't dream of having dogs and leaving them alone all day. It just isn't fair in my opinion. I feel bad for leaving them as much as I do. I couldn't cope with leaving them any longer!

I do think it's slightly different if they are smaller dogs with a dog flap. That works well, but I still wouldn't dream of leaving a dog alone from 9 to 5.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Me neither, I wouldn't regularly leave a dog alone all day, 4 hours would be my maximum too.

Same. OH works shifts and the two or three days a week he is out the same days as me, the neighbour comes in three times and spends time with them. She used to take them to her house, but they can be naughty and she finds it hard now she's older. I certainly wouldn't lock my dogs alone up for hours, despite there being three of them.

Annette4

Visit site
Mine are home together with either a dog walker coming in at least once. If we are having a really long day or going out after work then they go to the dog walkers for the day.

I do film them regularly while we're out and all they do is sleep! If me or OH are off we get grumped at for interrupting their routine.

I am moving back in with mum and dad soon (retired and semi retired) so they're going to have a shock having Company all day.

CrazyMare

Visit site
We have a greyhound, a known couch potato breed!!!

She is with OH until hr goes to work ag 2pm, I get home at 4.15pm, let her out fot a wee then either leave her snuggling back down on the sofa or she comes with me to the yard depending on the temperature. She hates the cold!!!

CrazyMare

Visit site
They don't, they really don't!!!

The Retired Greyhound Trust sugfest 2x20 min walks a day.

Mine us happy with that and garden play time, equally shes happy to come out for hours then sleeps hard when we get home!!!

millikins

Visit site
Previous dog was happier at home alone than left at my parents. On one occasion my car broke down and she was alone for at least 16 hrs, thought there'd at least be a puddle when I returned but she barely bothered to come down and greet me. Current dog can't bear to be left, now 9, he's not likely to change. He cries all day and rampages round the house, not destructive but cushions, paperwork etc everywhere so he has doggy day care. Even that took two goes to find someone he liked, he's a sensitive soul :)

{97702}

Visit site
They don't, they really don't!!!

The Retired Greyhound Trust sugfest 2x20 min walks a day.

Mine us happy with that and garden play time, equally shes happy to come out for hours then sleeps hard when we get home!!!

LOL Greyhound Rescue West of England suggest that too - I must admit my four tend to go a bit stir crazy if that is all they get, they are used to double that time running themselves ragged around the woods :) Except for my old girl Islay, who potters along doing her own thing and ignoring everyone else :)

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Our spaniel goes to daycare so he has company all day. When we had two they stayed at home and had a dog walker come in at lunchtime. Because they had company we didn't mind leaving them for longer periods though.