People with geldings...the Bean?

Irishcobs

Visit site
I'm not sure if this is what you mean but we had a gelding who had a smegma build up in his sheath and he had a hard 'bean' of it under the flap of skin by his ureter tube (sorry that's hard to explain where I mean). It was very difficult to remove and was making him sore so they vet had to do it. The vet called it a 'Bean'.

Polos Mum

Visit site
In a couple of decades of gelding ownership I've never fiddled about with any of their 'bits' and never had any problems. IMHO 'bits' fall definitely into the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' list!

Brightbay

Visit site
I've only found a bean once. It must have been uncomfortable, and I can't see how he could have peed it out - it was about the size of a butterbean, and looked a bit like well chewed chewing gum :eek:

You find it just inside the urethra. The urethra in horses is quite large and you can get a little finger in there and check for bean without horse being in the least bit bothered (although it is a good idea to have built up a bit of a relationship with the horse whereby they recognise that you poking around their bits is boring rather than scary, and that it will often mean they feel less itchy/crusty as a result ;)). Most horses won't dangle out for you to investigate the urethra, so your hand has to go a fair way into the sheath to find the willy :p

If you google "sheath cleaning" and "Mr Hand" you will find comprehensive and entertaining instructions.

Bertolie

Visit site
Reason for asking is that my gelding has what I think may be a bean, and if it is its huge! L is very good at dangling it out to let you clean his bits (infact he will do it on command!) but I haven't really checked him over the winter. Got back to the yard yesterday after a short hack and he dropped it out so I took the opportunity to give it a check over. Just underneath the tip of the urethra he had what I thought was smegma but I couldn't remove it. Tried to have a better look but he decided enough was enough and it was gone! Had a look this morning and it appears to be a very hard, very large lump in the flap of skin beneath the urethra. The problem is that there is no way it will come out of the opening of the flap of skin, and it is obviously causing him some discomfort when I touch it.

Does this sound like a vet job? Was going to ring for advice but it seemed a bit trivial to warrant a call to the out of hours service.

NaeNae87

Visit site
Here is a link to the Mr Hand thing..

http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthSheathCleaning.shtml

Oh and there's a couple of songs about it :)
if it's hanging and you see it lube your hands
If it's hanging and you see it lube your hands
If it's hanging and you see it
Grab it quick it's time to clean it
If it's hanging and you see it lube your hands.

If it's peely and it's crusty pick it off
If it's peely and it's crusty pick it off
If it's peely and it's crusty
and the smell is kind of musty
If it's peely and it's crusy pick it off

If his weenie has a beanie dig it out
If his weeny has a beanie dig it out
If his weiner has a beaner
Pull it out and he'll be cleaner
If his weenie has a beenie dig it out

Now he's happy and you know it wash your hands
Now he's happy and you know it wash your hands
It's a job that's kind of kinky
And now your hands are really stinky
But he's happy and you know it wash your hands.

œTHE SHEATH CLEANING SONG”
Sing it to the tune of "Hello Mother, Hello Father" from camp song

How's it hangin'?
So much cleaner.
Aren't you glad I
washed your wiener?
I'll admit it's
kinda creepy
that I had to stick my arm up in your pee-pee.

It was sticky.
It was gunky.
It felt icky.
It smelled funky.
It was cruddy,
it was crusty--
when you stuck it out, it creaked like it was rusty.

After half an
hour of toilin'
and of squirtin'
baby oil in,
you're as fresh there
as a daisy.
Either this means I love you or else I'm crazy!!!

Perissa

Visit site
I removed my geldings bean yesterday while it was the size of a lentil. I prefer to do it more often, by that it is probably 3 to 4 times a year. The first time removed it I was shocked to find it the size of a baked bean and was obviously uncomfortable when I removed it, it doesn't bat an eyelid removing while it is small.

I have never found a bean on my stallion.

People who say that they do not clean their geldings man parts should remember that there is no such thing as a gelding in nature so nature will not keep it how nature intended...

wipeout

Visit site
My horse had one the size of a walnut (without the shell!) it didn't feel like I'd be able to get it out but with a good dollop of sheath cleaner and some easing and squashing manoeuvres I managed to get it out with my little finger, he was a bit grumpy right at the beginning but he seemed to settle, maybe he realised I wasn't going to give up!

Bertolie

Visit site
This lump is probably the size of a walnut with the shell! I really can't see any way of getting it out and not sure how the vet would either. I will ring vet tomorrow and get them out. Feeling like a really bad owner now :-(

Archiepoo

Visit site
my new horse had one the size of a peach stone when i first had him,
my old tb had one so huge it tore through the side of the shaft and was the size of the palm of my hand!!!:eek::eek::eek: i rang the vet very concerned and he said its very common dont worry it will heal itself-ive never heard of anyone else having one so big before or since
have to add i do clean my horses sheaths -these happened when they were both new to me

cptrayes

Visit site
People who say that they do not clean their geldings man parts should remember that there is no such thing as a gelding in nature so nature will not keep it how nature intended...

The majority of males will never mate. A stallion runs a harem, and assuming that roughly equal males and females are born, only one stallion will get to mate for a number of mares (around 6 I think is normal).

I'm another who has never touched a geldings bits in over 30 years and I'm not starting now :)

Coblover63

Visit site
This is the one that came out of the end of my boy's sheath. I'd always assumed it was tucked up in the skin when they retract their sheath but he was already sedated for the vet to do his teeth so as he was relaxed and letting it all hang out, she gave it a quick squeeze and showed me how to eject the offending article! :eek:

Bertolie

Visit site
Whatever this lump is it is much bigger than the one in the photo. When his penis is out and I can see the opening of the urethra, just below it it looks like a small circular opening. Inside this 'opening' is a very hard, large lump. The bit that is visable through the opening looks like black smagma but is quite hard. If I manoeuvre the opening a bit the rest of this lump looks yellowy white. If I gently feel the lump it extends the full width of tip of his penis - does this sound like a bean or something else. When I try and gently feel the lump he is obviously uncomfortable. I haven't been able to see him have a wee so don't know if its causing any problems in that department. Will get the vet out tomorrow as I can't see this coming out of its own accord.

wipeout

Visit site
Whatever this lump is it is much bigger than the one in the photo. When his penis is out and I can see the opening of the urethra, just below it it looks like a small circular opening. Inside this 'opening' is a very hard, large lump. The bit that is visable through the opening looks like black smagma but is quite hard. If I manoeuvre the opening a bit the rest of this lump looks yellowy white. If I gently feel the lump it extends the full width of tip of his penis - does this sound like a bean or something else. When I try and gently feel the lump he is obviously uncomfortable. I haven't been able to see him have a wee so don't know if its causing any problems in that department. Will get the vet out tomorrow as I can't see this coming out of its own accord.

Defo sounds like a bean to me. Good luck with the vet. Take photos and report back after the event!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The tip exposed to the air may turn black like a blackhead on a human which oxidises on exposure to air.

I'd say get the vet if you're to happy to play around yourself. How is he with Sedalin/relaquin? You could maybe try that before calling out the vet and see if you can gently manoeuvre the skin backwards and the bean out.

doriangrey

Visit site
I really don't know what to think about sheath washing. I understand that it's totally unnatural and I've never done it to mine in the past. If they had beans then they weren't causing any problems with urination. I'm not sure I agree with the stallion theory either as my stallion wasn't getting 'it' that often despite running with his mare. If I had to put forward my own theory, I'd think that washing the smegma away (which is a natural lubricant after all) could possibly cause irritation and maybe thrush which could in turn produce lots of nasty, yeasty infections resulting in a bean. Think female douches (sorry everyone for the mental image), but that causes a whole host of problems as you are washing away the very natural secretions that keeps one healthy. I remember at one point they were very popular (many years ago) and then the balance had to be restored by relubricating with yoghurt, sorry again and not from personal experience :p

I do believe that if you wash a sheath then it gets out of kilter and more is produced and then you wash it more and it's a vicious circle. Only my theory though ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
For those who have said they never go near their geldings bits I would strongly advise you do. If I didn't or know what it usually looked like I wouldn't have spotted the very early stages of carcinoma on the end of Frank's- smegma is carcinogenic unfortunately. I have to the attainment of spotting it before the vet did on his old gelding (who had a partial amputation but it had already spread).
Fwiw he has never had a bean - though has sometimes had smegma on his back legs which is when he has been cleaned.

doriangrey

Visit site
I'm an ancient hag now (50 this year ;)) and I just don't remember when washing the sheath became de rigueur? I do remember the first time I saw it and I was like :eek: It just wasn't done when I was younger and tbh in all that time I've never seen a horse with an infection. I'm not saying infections don't happen, but I do wonder if washing it can contribute.

ester

Visit site
We never did it on any of the RS ponies when I was younger either- an none ever got any smegma down their legs so I wonder if some produce more than others/get it dirtier- F has always been good at sucking up straw for example.

Currently I'm just pleased I was familiar with it as I have saved an old man an amputation for the time being at least.

HBM1

Visit site
Dorian..my understanding of why stallions rarely if ever get them.. Even if not covering, is that they .. How to say - pleasure themselves quite a bit - I know my boy does and he has not been used in breeding yet. He would beat hell out of any developing beans.

indie999

Visit site
If you slap on some ie udder cream it will dislodge it ie soften it, sudocreme can smart. Hydromol etc is fine as well.

doriangrey

Visit site
For those who have said they never go near their geldings bits I would strongly advise you do. If I didn't or know what it usually looked like I wouldn't have spotted the very early stages of carcinoma on the end of Frank's- smegma is carcinogenic unfortunately. I have to the attainment of spotting it before the vet did on his old gelding (who had a partial amputation but it had already spread).
Fwiw he has never had a bean - though has sometimes had smegma on his back legs which is when he has been cleaned.

I don't think that this has been proved? But I'm happy to be told otherwise. I've always checked for lumps and bumps especially as my stallion was grey. What I think is that washing promotes more production of smegma/or removes a protective barrier and that could be a significant factor in infection. Obviously any anomoly should be be checked by a vet and if the OP's horse has a painful blockage then I'd be calling a vet.

ester

Visit site
Ah perhaps not, for some reason I have always taken it is a given.

I don't think everyone should necessarily clean, but that its not a bad idea to get a bit up close and personal with it ;) mine was only identified by the depigmentation of 2 small areas (and one that seemed to produce more smegma/dead skin mix that 'normal' - lifting this dead skin revealed the carcinoma area underneath)

cptrayes

Visit site

I look when it's available :) I always watch them when they pee when I'm around, too, to make sure we've got a proper torrent coming through.

I just don't go shoving my hand up where it's not designed to go :D

I've been around horses, sometimes in huge yards, for well over 30 years now and I've never, ever, known one to have an infection or any disease. I'd never seen one washed out, either, it's a relatively very new thing to think that it should be done at all, never mind routinely.