people wont pay for my horse

skint1

Visit site
I've paid cash for 2 horses in my life, both times I offered BACS payments or Bankers Drafts and both times the sellers refused and insisted on cash so I had to go and withdraw a big wodge of cash and carry it around with me which upset me. I would never have dreamed of asking them to come down with the horse and collect the money. The cheek of some people tbh

honetpot

Visit site
I always buy and sell with cash, its quick and clean and everyone knows when the transfer of ownership takes place, when the money hits the hand.
I have only had one funny buyer. Mum bought daughter pony but when they arrived to collect I found out when we went in the house to do the paperwork that grandma was actually paying. The b***h started haggleing about the price as her granddaughter was outside putting the travel boots on saying she hadn't agreed the price!
When I buy a pony I take the cash and collect it.

Clippy

Visit site
I'd try a bit of reverse psycology...

Just don't contact them. When they contact you, be a bit cagey and say you're going away for a couple of weeks...

jeeve

Visit site
when I organised a horse to be collected - I sent truck down, but arranged a cash deposit into their bank account prior.

I discussed with him that the if the horse was injured prior to truck collection his rsik, if injured on truck my risk. If horse could not be loaded safely (some doubts on this as had not floated for some time), then no sale. As long as you are clear, then limits possible dispute.

No way would expect seller to travel up to collect cash - and what if they don't have it - do you transport the horse back home again?

hairycob

Visit site
Sounds dead suspicious to me. What are the chances that the money wouldn't be there when you got there. I wouldn't take a bankers draft either. I know someone who's rather dodgy boyfriend bought her a horse from a (reputable) dealer. Couple of weeeks later the dealer turned up with a lorry & a couple of heavies - the draft had been fake. Her Dad ended up funding the purchase!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
They are totally unralistic.
They are buying the horse.
They have to pay for it.
Thye have to insure you get the money no you go chashing it.

Tell them if you havent got the money the horse wont leave the yard.
Simple as that.

vroutledge

Visit site
It all sounds way too suspicious to me, why are they being so awkward?? i would want to drive up and finalise everything with you if i had bought the horse no matter how far away, also i would want to make sure i had all paperwork, passport etc and have the horse signed over into my name. people travel to different countries to buy horses so why is it hard for then to make a 2+ hour journey if its a horse they really want it would be worth it. i definitely wouldnt let the horse leave without the money first unless you travelled down with the horse and they wired the money into your account there and then.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
My horse was paid for in full a week before she arrived, i would never expect a seller to deliver a horse and not have had the cash before the horse enters the lorry...after all..what happens if the horse hurts itself - and they decide they dont want it??

The horse would only be in that lorry because it was purchased so it should not be let out of your sight without full payment.

Twonks

ISHmad

Visit site
Either the transporter comes with cash or the buyers make a bank transfer into your account BEFORE the horse leaves. Do not let it get on that transporter without cash or confirmation from your bank that a transfer has gone through.

If they decide to back out because of this then make sure you do not give them their deposit back.

Also, make the buyers aware of all this before they set off.

^^^ This.

All sounds very odd to me.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
This all sounds a bit dodgy to me. Be carefull and DO NOT hand horse over until you have been paid in full.
Sometimes the sellers do bring horse to buyer,as in my case,I dont drive and they bought my cobby to me,then I was given the bill of sale and his passport.Handed the cash over and they came into my house for a cuppa.

Please be carefull as it all sounds a bit like a scam.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
some people these days just expect everything for nothing and for everyone else to do the running around:mad: if they want the horse then they'll have to pull their finger out and sort the money so it's with you before horse leaves yard. if they've had a bad experience before then they should appreciate it from your point of view too!!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Ring them and say "You have X amount of days to collect the horse, bringing the cash with you, or the horse will be re-advertised and I will be keeping your deposit to pay for livery/advertising costs."

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Bank draft is perfectly safe BUT you MUST check it is genuine not forged or stolen. Although uncleared funds it CANNOT be stopped once issued and WILL clear, provided it is not forged or stolen ie only the bank can stop it and only for those reasons. The horse buyer cannot stop it because they changed their mind etc and it wont be returned for lack of funds.

So a draft is fine to be sent by the purchaser with their transporter PROVIDED you get the draft details (everything on it) and ring the bank it is issued on (it is effectively a cheque drawn on the bank's own account, and the horse buyer is debited from their account when they 'buy' that cheque off the bank hence why it cant 'bounce' for lack of funds).

They will confirm if it is genuine and not stolen by the serial number and their records of having issued the draft. Get the name of the person you speak to and time/date and dont release the horse until that happens. Also check that the amount is correct and it has 2 signatures of the bank officials and that diagonally across it it has the right figure in the 'Not exceeding' line (which should be just over the amount the draft is made out for - helps to stop it being altered. Check that words and figures match and no sign of alteration - tho bank will confirm the amount it was issued for anyway).

Worked for a major bank for 15 years and issued oodles of them, hence the above. Also bought my horse with one!

Groom42

Visit site
It certainly sounds quite bizarre to me, and I would be loathe to let the horse go anywhere without cold hard guaranteed cash in my account.
Having said that, with the last horse we bought, honesty and trust were seriously bought into play! We viewed him, had him vetted and agreed sale and collection in the space of a week. On the day we collected him we drove 90% of the 2hr journey and then realised the envelope containing the cash was still in the car, well over 100 miles away! We had two or three suggestions, including leaving watches etc as deposits, but all of them relied upon the seller allowing us to leave with the horse! Fortunately, the seller fell about laughing, gave us bank details, and said "Pop it into the local branch in the morning!" Soooo embarrassing :eek: However, we were "known of" and infinitely traceable, so a bit different from Joe Anonymous answering an advertisement.

jrp204

Visit site
No cash, no horse........simples. The horse becomes the new owners property when the money clears and it is up to them to have it insured whether it is still on my property or being transported to new home.

montysmum1

Visit site
Ring them and say "You have X amount of days to collect the horse, bringing the cash with you, or the horse will be re-advertised and I will be keeping your deposit to pay for livery/advertising costs."

Very good idea! Absolutely do not let the horse leave your yard with out cash. I have bought and sold a few horses over the years and have ALWAYS dealt in cash - then everyone knows where they stand! These buyers are either totally ignorant or very suspicious. Don't be bullied into anything.

Let us know the outcome and good luck :)

janeprince

Visit site
Could they not arrange to send you the cash through royal mail special delivery guaranteed by 9am, then also have the transporter arranged to pick up said horse at 9am basically you get money securely through post and transporter takes pony?

If no cash no pony goes I did this when buying my horse as I lived 400 miles away it worked well.

Kirwil

Visit site
We paid cash on delivery for our pony, we went out to see him, left a deposit and then arranged for them to bring the pony to us as we don't have our own horsebox, we paid cash for the transport too. I don't think it's dodgy to do it that way, the seller preferred cash and it seemed silly to drive out to meet them at their yard then follow them home. I guess it was different though because it was the old owner driving the trailer, not a third party service.

imr

Visit site
Agree with everyone else.

What a cheek !

I have just bought one and guess what - I paid for her by bank transfer and she is now going to be picked up at my cost. Friend of mine who produces and buys and sells wont let anything off her yard unless she has the cash or has received a bank transfer or had a cheque or bankers draft cleared. Tell them to send you a transfer or to come with the money or send the transporter with it or the horse is going nowhere.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Seriously? it is like ebay- PAY upfront and i will send you the pony OR it is cash on collection BY YOU- not cash on delivery by me......

I would personally look for another buyer

Damnation

Visit site
When I bought my mare I went with a cheque to give the owner. Unfortunately the bank wouldn't take it because it was different handwiting?? (We didn't know the l ady's full name so mum wrote the cheque and left the name blank and I filled it in.)
On route home the lady rang to say the bank wouldn't take the cheque so I rang my parents who did a bank transfer and got the bank to fax the lady a confirmation that the transfer was taking place.
Otherwise she was well within her rights to come up and take the horse back - which she was prepared to do without any payment conformation and I wouldn't of blamed her if she had.
Your buyer sounds very unreasonible. They want the horse, they give you cash/cheque or a bank transfer before the horse leaves the yard and at 120miles away its a long way to go and get a horse back!

fatpiggy

Visit site
They sound like right idiots. Who goes horse-shopping when they then don't have time to collect it? For Gods sake don't be driving over with the animal. Supposing they then say they haven't had time to go to the bank and withdraw the cash and it will have to be a cheque? Bounce bounce. And even cash could be fake £50s - hardly anyone will accept anything larger than £20s now for very good reason! And as someone else has said, there are plenty of fake bankers draft in the system so I wouldn't trust that either. They pay, it clears or no horse, end of and the deposit is just that, a deposit and they are not entitled to its return.

noodle_

Visit site
no way - i paid for my horse with cash - the seller didnt want a bankers draft (fair enough)

seller was very trusting and took £100 deposit, delivered the horse to the next day @ the yard (well her friends did) and he took the money (he was an uncle i think...!)

So no OP - tell them to get up here - cash - then take horse - and give them 7 days to do it in else you are re-advertising the horse!!!

pedilia

Visit site
As most others have said they are being totally unreasonable.
Can they not give the money to the transporter? Or pay by bank transfer? Or drop th cash off? Pay you by cheque and you wait for cheque to clear?

Definetly, no cash, no horse!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I know quite a few people like this, who think that their lives are more important than mine!

I would point out that you are getting a bit fed up - that you have already held the horse for them at your cost for a week, and now you feel that you are being messed around. I agree with the others that you tell them that they need to come and pay for the horse by next weekend or you will put them down as time wasters and re advertise the horse. Let them work it out if they want the horse!