Peoples Advice on Horse For Sale On Trial

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Looking for peoples thoughts/experiences on giving option on my Connie for sale going for a trial period.
I know decades ago most ponies were sold with this option - now I dont think so.
The Connie Ive had up for sale & is very marmite taste, had his first viewing as Ive been extremely selective, they clicked riding in open field, sloshing around in mud, blown to bits.
Now though what with lockdown I assume everything is on hold.
However, she wants to jump him which we need to hire local arena for & hack him.
And she has asked if Id consider trial period!
Tbh Im torn - I so want the match to be right this time around, Ive been totally honest about his previous ulcers & requiring a firm hand if loading on a lorry, so am thinking if its right its right why not let her trial - obviously bit worried about the ulcers & stress of moving homes.
The other part of me thinks no as he will be unsettled & it could all unravel & we've worked tirelessly over 4 years to get to this point.
Interested to hear your thoughts please.

cauda equina

Visit site
Do you need to sell him quickly?
If not, I would wait until things open up again; there's a lot that can go wrong with any loan/trial, even more so if the pony is quirky to start with

AUB

Visit site
I’d be careful regarding trial. Is the pony put in a new herd and in risk of injury? What if they ride or handle it in a very wrong manner and then give it back? You’d have a lot of work fixing that. And so on. There are many risks you need to consider and put in the contract.

If the live near you, I’d consider offer them a trial period where the pony is not moved to a new yard. This will also let them get to know the pony without it being stressed from the move.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Do you need to sell him quickly?
If not, I would wait until things open up again; there's a lot that can go wrong with any loan/trial, even more so if the pony is quirky to start with
No I dont need to sell him quickly & if she wasnt interested was going to hold off until Spring as so hampered by lack of facilities at home with his type.
Now I think we dont have an option with the new lockdown other than to hold off anyway.
Yes he can be quirky.
Yes youre right a lot to go wrong & unravel!
Thank you

ihatework

Visit site
You will get 99% of people reply, no don’t do it! And for good reason, it comes with quite a lot of risk.

Me, I’m more open to the idea. I don’t want to sell a horse and have it bouncing around in a downward spiral, and if I feel there is a chance of that then I’d rather have the horse back.

That said I’d be very particular about where they went and put something quite comprehensive in writing.

Over the years I’ve done it a handful of times.

The first was a 6 month loan of a wry tricky TB with the option to buy at 6 months. They bought and he stayed in that home for life.

The next was a little project cob type, who I found super easy, but when people (novicy/nervous) tried him he became quite worried and reactive. So when a teenager came and got on brilliantly with him I could see they were a match - I offered a weekends trial. He sold to them and again was with them for years.

I then had a smart sport horse who was a bit of a beggar. Huge buck in him and had a medical declaration. I wasn’t getting on with him so offered him LWVTB. The first one was overhorsed, got bucked off, and he came back within6 weeks. The next attempt went well, he went off hunting - showed them his worst but they bought him and he did a good job in hunt service.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I’d be careful regarding trial. Is the pony put in a new herd and in risk of injury? What if they ride or handle it in a very wrong manner and then give it back? You’d have a lot of work fixing that. And so on. There are many risks you need to consider and put in the contract.

If the live near you, I’d consider offer them a trial period where the pony is not moved to a new yard. This will also let them get to know the pony without it being stressed from the move.
Shes offered seperate field for a trial, I understand your point about mis handling etc.
Unfortunately shes about 1.5 hours away - Ive already said Im happy for her to try him as many times as she likes - I really like her as shes a capable young adult just what he needs rather than all these youngsters inquiring.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
You will get 99% of people reply, no don’t do it! And for good reason, it comes with quite a lot of risk.

Me, I’m more open to the idea. I don’t want to sell a horse and have it bouncing around in a downward spiral, and if I feel there is a chance of that then I’d rather have the horse back.

That said I’d be very particular about where they went and put something quite comprehensive in writing.

Over the years I’ve done it a handful of times.

The first was a 6 month loan of a wry tricky TB with the option to buy at 6 months. They bought and he stayed in that home for life.

The next was a little project cob type, who I found super easy, but when people (novicy/nervous) tried him he became quite worried and reactive. So when a teenager came and got on brilliantly with him I could see they were a match - I offered a weekends trial. He sold to them and again was with them for years.

I then had a smart sport horse who was a bit of a beggar. Huge buck in him and had a medical declaration. I wasn’t getting on with him so offered him LWVTB. The first one was overhorsed, got bucked off, and he came back within6 weeks. The next attempt went well, he went off hunting - showed them his worst but they bought him and he did a good job in hunt service.
Yes thats the thing isnt it - I know all the reasons not to, but he needs such a certain type of rider/owner & if he doesnt get that person then yes it will all go severely wrong for him & Im trying to stop that happening - I know Ive got to let him go but want to try to do the very best by him, hence the honest disclosure which I truly think is important to pass on with him.
Its good to hear your positive experiences thank you

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Friend of mine let her mare go on trial. Very easy animal to handle and about as near bombproof as could be. She bred her and did a lot with her zero problems. The woman who had her on trial was hacking her out and met a combine, not sure exactly what happened but the mare was returned as bad in traffic and was from then on. Eventually went a local RS where she was a great favourite but stayed bad in big traffic for the rest of her life. Such a shame.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Friend of mine let her mare go on trial. Very easy animal to handle and about as near bombproof as could be. She bred her and did a lot with her zero problems. The woman who had her on trial was hacking her out and met a combine, not sure exactly what happened but the mare was returned as bad in traffic and was from then on. Eventually went a local RS where she was a great favourite but stayed bad in big traffic for the rest of her life. Such a shame.
Oh that is a shame - heart says yes head says no, I think its going to be a no although goodness only knows when you will be able to view a horse again but I assume you can transport a horse - so he could have been on trial & back again or sold again before he can ever be viewed again! Such a dilemma, I know the least of all the ghastly worries at the minute - would hate to be under pressure to sell a horse in todays state!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Take full payment up front and write an ironclad LWVTB agreement for a few weeks. A LOT of chancers come with the 'looking to buy' but just dont have the funds so try it on by asking for a trial period. If they are serious buyers they'll have the money and you can always give it back minus any fees you deem fit.

I have recently found a horse from a dealer and i have him on trial until .. oh until now actually, i need to pay for him, lol! But thats only because a close friend knows the dealer well and vouched for me and with winter, lack of riding time (weekends only) and lack of facilities i really either needed to trial something or wait till spring to buy. As it is he's pretty awesome but with a shattered confidence i needed to be doubly sure so the trial is perfect for me and the dealer is assured he's in capable hands (if he went back he'd go back better than i got him) and also its saved the dealer some money keeping him and feeding him!

Equi

Visit site
The problem you enter taking the money up front is that as soon as the money crossed into your account they have legally bought the horse and don't have any rights to send it back if you decide you won't want him back, and they also have no obligation to send him back if you deem them unworthy owners and want him again. The only way to do it is a solid written contract of trial loan with payment due on X date and made clear that it must be the full amount on X date or the horse must be returned in the same condition as it left on X date - any vet fees required as a result of poor care during the trial will be forwarded to the loanee etc.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Thanks for your comments - I dont think Ive got the trust to send him to anybody on a trial given his track record so I will just say no & state if shes interested to come back & 2nd view to jump & hack whenever lockdown is lifted - after all she cant buy & I cant sell whilst we're in lockdown anyway so whats a few more weeks!

doodle

Visit site
Definitely see both sides here. We had one that I had schooled for owner and new buyer wanted a months trial. We agreed. They decided horse was not suitable and sent her back because she had got strong one time riding her and was difficult to handle. I have no idea what they did in those 4 weeks but she had gone backwards so much in everything. Her ridden work had taken a huge dent (she was still young but had always been sensible and easy) and handling her was affected too. Initially I was really annoyed. It took a couple of months before we felt comfortable that we could readvertise her. That was a pain. But actually I was glad she came back and those people couldn’t do more damage to her then pass her on.

Winters100

Visit site
It is a tough one. When I bought my schoolmistress we had written into the contract that I could return within 6 weeks if for any reason I was not happy, but then I knew the seller, having previously sold a horse to him, that horse actually being in my care at the time I bought my mare. I paid full purchase price and transportation, and the agreement was that I would return her at my cost if I did not want her.

In our case it worked really well, but it was a 'special' situation, not only because we knew each other, but also because he was not really looking to sell, it was just that she was getting a bit too old for the high level that he competed at.

Much as I want to say 'yes' to your question I really think that too many things could go wrong, and whatever contract you write it will still be a huge headache if you have a dispute. Personally I would look towards some way that she can try her for a longer period at the current yard (post lockdown of course), maybe you have a spare room that you could offer her for a long weekend, or find a reasonably priced BnB where she could stay? it is worth going the extra mile for the right home, having sold a horse to a great home for considerably less than I was offered from people who wanted him but would not have ridden half of the horse, I know that you have peace of mind when you wave them off to someone with whom you know they will be a good fit.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Thanks for your comments - I dont think Ive got the trust to send him to anybody on a trial given his track record so I will just say no & state if shes interested to come back & 2nd view to jump & hack whenever lockdown is lifted - after all she cant buy & I cant sell whilst we're in lockdown anyway so whats a few more weeks!

Plenty of people are buying and selling during lockdown regardless of the rules. I think good decision though.

Bernster

Visit site
Trial to stay on current yard perhaps. I did that when I was 1.5 hours away so could only ride at weekends. Worked for me though. too much risk don’t anything else. Most sales don’t even have that, it’s view (multiple times if needed) and buy.

MissMay

Visit site
I did a trial and it went perfect.
home bred who never grew :rolleyes: so was a childs riding pony...... only problem was we only had a lightweight teen. pony was born bombproof and loved kids.

Through connections found a young girl from a non horsey family (parents very cautious) we let them loan for the summer but he remained at the pony club DC house with her very capable kids and it allowed them to help out and is to get unequalled experience as a summer pony with 7 pony club kids. lucky they all fell in love happy ever after. However, if it hadn't worked out the stuff he was exposed to (novice kids, pony games etc) worth their weight in gold

oldie48

Visit site
Tricky because I'd also say NO but I had a horse on trial and bought him, keeping him until he was pts at 28 and also let a pony go out on trial for several months WVTB and that also turned out well. It requires a lot of trust but in both cases there was an intermediary prepared to vouch for the person taking the trial and both sellers were very keen for the horse to go to the right home. sometimes it's a case of following your gut!

scruffyponies

Visit site
I wouldn't. The one time I did, I was messed around something shocking, and so was a rather sweet horse.

I have also spent months undoing damage done (inadvertently) by a loaner. Not worth confusing your horse.

Evie91

Visit site
Heres my tuppence worth... what if the horse gets injured during this trial, and they then refuse to buy ? BIG NO from me ?
This. Once knew a beautiful horse, the very first day it went on trial, turned out in the field with others, was kicked with catastrophic consequences.
Dispute as to who paid vet bills/ value of horse. Don’t know how it got resolved.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I feel that you are doing your bit, bubsqueaks, by giving the potential buyer the opportunity to purchase your horse without rushing. She'll be doing her bit by travelling to you to try the horse as often as she likes, and in whatever way she likes. (IOW, it isn't your problem that she is 1.5 hours drive away.)

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Thanks everyone - Im still mulling it all over but I think Lois Lame youve summed it up.
I know 100% if Id been able to trial both mine they would have gone straight back but didnt have that fall back so have perservered through some quite tough times.
On one hand I want the match to be right but on the other know if its going to go wrong with any horse its with him - I think thats my answer isnt it!
Blooming horses!!