Peoples experience of youngstock herds?

Mb02

Visit site
Hi, we have a yearling who is starting to get a bit bolshy when being lead. He likes to use his head to push people. He has been fine to put his rug but today tried to kick us when we went to do his circingles. We are wondering if this is all too much for him as he has had a bad past and not ever be allowed to be a baby.
do youngstock herds benefit them? Do they come back more mature or do they return with the same handling issues just bigger horses?
how do they work in regards to rugging, feed and farrier visits? As our boy is rather poor at the minute and we are trying to get weight on him. ( he was a rescue)
TIA.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Young horses always benefit from being out in similar age herds - or even better, mixed age herds, especially colts. They need a bit of rough and tumble to learn their place in the world. When I had a largish stud farm we kept everything out in herds and after initial handling only really caught youngsters up for routine worming, vaccs, and farrier until they were rising three year olds.

ihatework

Visit site
I couldn’t keep a young horse any other way I’m afraid. My first youngster I had I bought at 18 months as a companion to my older horse and it was completely the wrong thing to do. It wasn’t disastrous, but it was the wrong thing for the horse and could have been done better. This is why I wince at all these posts (which seem to be increasing in volume).

The big studs generally keep them in age groups and sex groups. Smaller set ups might have them in a mixed group. My preference is mixed group where possible so they learn some hierarchy and it’s not just a toddler free for all. You do however have to keep an eye on the lower ranking ones and make sure they are ok, and intervene if needed.

For me, you need to handle them very well as a foal, make sure you can catch, touch everywhere, pick up feet and they have the general idea about leading. THEN LEAVE THEM ALONE, unless you really have no other choice but to intervene due to injury/illness etc.

Handling them yearlings-3yo isn’t the same as adult horses, and can be a bit rustic for sure, depends a bit on the horse. But they come on very quickly once in for breaking.

Littlebear

Visit site
I have done it both ways and would strongly recommend finding a youngstock herd, my current youngster has just come back from his, he was there from the start and came back just after his 3rd birthday, other than the usual trims, vaccinations etc he wasn't handled that much and has come back like a dream, very well mannered and polite, has been a total angel to get started as have the others the same age that left at the same time, they are all well bred warmbloods so you would expect a bit of sharpness but i haven't experienced any. Just a very well mannered young horse that's taken to stable life and training like a pro so far.

MissTyc

Visit site
I love a mixed herd where possible. I was lucky to be able to keep my weanling in a gelding herd until he was castrated at 18 months. Then he moved into a mixed herd. He was quite sick over his second winter and had to be separated for management purposes. It was really difficult and he became quite rude. Thankfully my mare soon sorted him out after he recovered, and then he was able to move back into a larger herd again. My gelding, however, seems to let the little tyke get away with murder. Both of their necks are ripped to shreds from playing. I don't mean neck rugs; I mean their actual necks! It's play play play play all day long with brief intervals for eating and sleeping. BUT I have to say, the now almost 3yo is now very docile and respectful.

daffy44

Visit site
I tend to buy foals, and as soon as they are weaned I put them into youngstock livery (I've done this both in Germany and the UK) where they live in a same age, same gender herd, mine are handled as foals, enough so you can catch them, lead, pick up feet and be touched all over, after that they are pretty much left alone bar routine farrier, vaccs and worming. They become polite easy three yr olds having had a happy time growing up, unless a major health issue made this impossible its the only way I would ever keep youngsters.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I've always been one to say babies need to be babies and should be with others of a similar age. I've gone completely against my own advice and bought a 6month old colt foal to keep my older cob company. So far it is working, he is being put in his place by the older cob, but he is also keeping the old boy young. My plan is to show him next year in hand. at the end of the summer I will reassess things and possibly turn him away on youngstock livery for the winter. My plans for him are very fluid and we will just play it by 'ere. But, definitely at some point in his 'childhood' years he will be turned away with other babies.

J&S

Visit site
My mare's foal was born on a farm, two other mares foaled the same summer. They lived togther, mares and foals, and when it was time to wean the foals stayed in a barn for a few days and then they were turned out together for the winter, they were bucket fed and halter broken. Come the next spring the foals went back into the larger herd of mares, youngstock and the "granny" horse. We were able to take her out of the herd at any time and even taught her to load and travelled to a local show where she behaved very well. I broke her in very gently when she was in her third summer and my vet bought her for his wife! For the foal/filly having the herd and space was a most important part of her upbringing.

4faults

Visit site
I keep mine in mixed age herds with the broodmares. The girls do a fabulous job of teaching them manners and they get to play with the other youngsters and have a great time