Pepsi’s First “Event” Report!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Today we toodled over to Epworth for a non-competitive 80cm ODE. Don’t think he’s ever seen a dressage arena before, and after last weeks air jacket fiasco here it was all about experience and confidence.

Dressage was… a car crash. Not helped by the arena being smack between the SJ and the XC. I (for once) managed to retain my brain and remember the test, but Pepsi’s left the venue entirely. Apparently BE92 isn’t interesting enough so he decided to add a few moves of his own. Additional moves included: sideways centre lines, flying changes, jumping the white boards and letter markers, working gallop, walk-canter transitions… Came out with a shocking, but very fair, 45%. Honestly was something out of a comedy sketch. If there was footage it would be all over shiteventersuntite ? he can do lovely work at times, but we knew dressage was going to be a work in progress.

Onto SJ. Not the fastest round, but we had brakes! And steering! Now to work on it so we don’t need to come back to trot to regain balance/steering capacity. But I was so pleased with him, made it feel super easy for a clear round. Got a few compliments on him too which is always nice!

XC I was bricking it after last weekend. Wasn’t sure how he’d be. Bearing in mind as far as we know he’s only xc schooled 3 times, and we didn’t get very far last week before air jacket gate ??‍♀️ He only went and flew round for another foot-perfect clear! Didn’t rush it and came back to trot a few times to set him up, but he was well up for it. I’ve not enjoyed an XC round so much since I lost Rosie!

Although it seems I might need to sack off the winter BS membership in favour of some very boring dressage outings, to convince him that not every party is a spicy jumping party, my heart could just explode with pride for this little horse! He gives me so much confidence, it’s hard not to be confident when they make it feel so effortless! Plus he was so much more relaxed standing around between phases tied to the trailer, so hopefully that continues too!

Sadly no action photos or footage today I don’t think. That’s one disadvantage of competing alone! But we’ll pretend the photos from last week are today, because the course was the same and he was still flying ❤️

planning all the extra moves he’s going to add to the dressage test ?
A7F0BE66-CF08-441A-946D-DC3AF10047CF.jpeg

Flying ?
84D1DE9D-020D-4FF6-BDEA-358E8BFCFD03.jpeg
4CF81553-A61D-46BA-B6D0-4477DF606351.jpeg
Some post-XC snacks for the little legend
75D9C427-756F-4616-A74A-22F4E7309423.jpeg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’m just thrilled about the jumping! We knew dressage would be the biggest hurdle. I’m pretty confident working on that, and with some time and lots of practice we can crack it. When buying him it was the jumping I was most interested in, because that’s what I need a bit of a boost in.

I was surprised how game he was for the XC! He’s not always been straightforward XC schooling, but he was super over a course. He gets a bit hot in the warm up, but I can cope with that!