Peraonal security cameras on a yard.

EBAH1971

New User
Visit site
So one of the liveries on our yard has installed her own security camera near her horses stable. It covers her horse and her friends horse and a bit of the walkway outside our barn. (Thd yard already has security cameras installed by yard owner just not in our little barn section, howeverall of the entrances/ exits etc are covered fully)
She did not inform us that she'd put a camera up until the next day and I have just found out that it records sound. She and her friend also take great pleasure going through the footage at home and letting people know they're doing so.
Now as much as I have nothing to hide and I'm not particularly fussed about the camera itself (extra security and whatnot), I feel slightly uncomfortable that I have to watch what I'm saying whilst I'm there. For example I was talking to my partner about my personal health the other day (we were the only two in the barn so it was essentially private) and I had no idea they were recording the conversation. So I now cannot have any private/ personal conversations with my partner at the stables even if we're the only two there?
That and they can have images of myself and my partner stored on their computer at home I'm not sure where I stand in terms of breaches of privacy?
Can I have people opinions on whether this is ok/ acceptable and whether you'd feel comfortable in a similar situation?

Green Bean

Visit site
I would not be comfortable with that. You need to speak to the yard owner about it as I assume they approved its installation and they will therefore be responsible legally for its invasion of privacy. Video is one thing, and anyone walking within range of the camera should have been consulted prior to installation, but there is zero requirement for audio so this should not have been allowed.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’m not sure what the law is on this subject tbh, however, as a YO myself, this is something I just wouldn’t allow on my yard for lots of reasons. We have cctv on the yard anyway for security reasons, but that’s because we’re in a very rural area where crime is high. Our cameras don’t record sound only picture footage ? what’s your YO’s take on this?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
As someone who occasionally changes into jodphurs when no one is around, I wouldn't be happy about this.
No problem with YO installing cameras on entrances or in foaling boxes but personal cameras are a bit creepy.
I do know a lady who used secret cameras to catch people stealing her hay and feed, but she gave up when she discovered no one was actually stealing her stuff.

Dreamer515

Visit site
When my horse was recovering from colic surgery I had a camera in his stable. I asked YO's permission and put up camera signs on his door. it was in the front corner of his stable so couldn't see outside his stable. it did have sound but only if you turned it on.

If I could see on camera that my horse was distressed I would message someone at the yard to ask them to check on him and let them know I had turned sound on so I could hear if he was snorting/breathing heavy which was a bad sign for him. I would turn it off immediately afterwards but everyone on the yard know it was there and had sound. I never listened in to conversations and to be honest, even if I wanted to I wouldn't have heard anything unless they were right outside my stable.

I have now removed the camera as my horse has fully recovered but would always ask again if needed to be put back up.

My 2 stables were out of the way ands no one really went near them unless checking my horses for me.

I would not be happy if I knew someone was listening in to personal conversations. I would be having words with your YO and make it clear you aren't happy with it.

shamrock2021

Visit site
In my opinion people who do that type of stuff don’t trust the yard .Obviously something is going on when they are calling people out on stuff . I had been on a yard in the past where the yard owner put hidden cameras on a yard without telling anyone.

Last edited:

MissMay

Visit site
We had cameras with sound installee in work and we all had to be informed and sign forms as it's a massive gdpr issue. also visible signs had to be mounted stating this area is under camera

Auslander

Visit site
Go to the yard owner - they need to know you aren't happy.
I've got a camera, which points straight down the yard, and everyone knows the area it covers, so if they want to strip off/have a dance/have a cuddle with someone they shouldnt, they know where it's safe to do so! Mine has 2 way audio, but I never use that function.

LegOn

Visit site
You actually have the right to request any copies of your image - so if wanted to be awkward, you are entitled to request copies of everything they record! :p I'm kinda being tongue in cheek but depends on the outcome of talking to your yard owner though - I would be surprised a yard allowing additional cameras to their own cameras, seems very untrustworthy and odd. Unless you had a situation like Dreamer515 mentioned with a very sick horse and it was full discussed and agreed with the yard.

Would you have little else to be doing watching back hours of footage of people at your yard though - how sad!!!!! :rolleyes:

Nasicus

Visit site
That's totally not on. One thing to have a camera set up to look at your stables and your stables alone with prior permission (Some people just enjoying watching what their horses get up to), but to have sound enabled too in a location where you can pick up peoples private conversations, and then to take glee in informing them you're doing as such?!

You need to go straight to the yard owner about this, as it is unacceptable.

Tash88

Visit site
I would be fine with people having cameras to check on their horses, but not to record. I have one that you can just see into my horse's stable with and a tiny bit of the outside. It does have sound but really the signal isn't good enough to hear much and I doubt I'd be able to hear conversations. I don't have an SD card so it can't record anything, I just use it to check on my horse through the night from the phone app, and it was put up with the YO's permission. There are separate cameras for the communal areas of the yard, tack room etc. that are monitored by the YO.

I think that listening in to people's conversations is unacceptable and the YO needs to put a stop to that. Cameras are for checking on horses only.

indie1282

Visit site
So one of the liveries on our yard has installed her own security camera near her horses stable. It covers her horse and her friends horse and a bit of the walkway outside our barn. (Thd yard already has security cameras installed by yard owner just not in our little barn section, howeverall of the entrances/ exits etc are covered fully)
She did not inform us that she'd put a camera up until the next day and I have just found out that it records sound. She and her friend also take great pleasure going through the footage at home and letting people know they're doing so.
Now as much as I have nothing to hide and I'm not particularly fussed about the camera itself (extra security and whatnot), I feel slightly uncomfortable that I have to watch what I'm saying whilst I'm there. For example I was talking to my partner about my personal health the other day (we were the only two in the barn so it was essentially private) and I had no idea they were recording the conversation. So I now cannot have any private/ personal conversations with my partner at the stables even if we're the only two there?
That and they can have images of myself and my partner stored on their computer at home I'm not sure where I stand in terms of breaches of privacy?
Can I have people opinions on whether this is ok/ acceptable and whether you'd feel comfortable in a similar situation?

Surely your first point of call is the YO?? Speak to them and tell them your concerns.

meleeka

Visit site
A friend has wildlife cameras in her field which records sound. When she had my horse on loan I’m pretty sure she heard a full on rant from me about her care of the horse. I felt awful as i was just venting and didn’t really mean most of it. Nothing was said but the friendship soured. She watches her camera back every morning to see what her horses have been doing overnight which must be incredibly boring! She solely rents her field so up to her, but I wouldn’t expect it to be allowed on a livery yard. I’d be speaking to the YO about it if it were me.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
The whole thing strikes me as very odd!

My first guess would be that they have far too little going on in their lives if they can afford to spend time reviewing the days recordings!!

I'm guessing that this is a DIY yard? How old are the two friends? Did they give a reason why they had installed the camera? Have they referred in conversation to anything that they watched heard via the camera? What is the YO's take on this??

welshpony216

Visit site
I would feel like it would be an invasion of privacy. I sometimes change my clothes in what I think is a private area, but if there are cameras and I don't know...:eek::mad: My friend has wildlife cameras in the woods surrounding the yard, as there has been an strange animal around. I would only except cameras...
-The areas that the camera can 'see' are clearly labeled, and everyone who visits the yard is informed
-If there has been robberies or something that might put the horses in danger near me
-The stuff that the camera can 'see' is kept private, and not shared with anyone except the yard owner and the riders and owners of the horse, or anyone who must see it
-no microphones, if people watching me is bad enough, never mind hearing my private conversations!!!!!
-everything else is totally unexpectable, and if it is abused, it needs to be reported

dogatemysalad

Visit site
A friend has wildlife cameras in her field which records sound. When she had my horse on loan I’m pretty sure she heard a full on rant from me about her care of the horse. I felt awful as i was just venting and didn’t really mean most of it. Nothing was said but the friendship soured. She watches her camera back every morning to see what her horses have been doing overnight which must be incredibly boring! She solely rents her field so up to her, but I wouldn’t expect it to be allowed on a livery yard. I’d be speaking to the YO about it if it were me.

We've come across a few of these hidden wildlife cameras in the woods where we walk the dogs. As far as I know, birds and mammals can't read, so why can't they put a sign up ?

Winters100

Visit site
I also have nothing to hide, but still would have a massive problem with this. I occasionally have private phone calls when I am alone in the barn and I would not like to have to watch what I say in case someone is listening. In my opinion if they want to have cameras on only their stables and without any possibility to hear anything then fine, otherwise YO should put a stop to it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
As long as I knew it was there, this would not bother me. I think I can restrict private conversations with my OH to when we are at home.

However, the first time they said anything that had been recorded, I would be rather cutting to them.