Perelli

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Perelli

Or however you spell it….I was quite shocked yesterday to see two of these enthustasts hacking down the road in what is, effectively, a bit of rope…is this not dangerous? Say if the horse takes fright?

I really don’t understand…

riotgirl

Visit site
Did they have wands that they were waving?
tongue.gif

metalmare

Visit site
Some endurance bridles do look just like ropes now but from a distance. I have heard people advised to have a go at riding their horse in just a head collar in order to see how much control they have with their legs and to lighten their hands - but never on the road! Is it not against the highway code or some other authority to ride a horse bareback or without a bridle?

Gingernags

Visit site
They do hack out bareback or with a bareback pad and a halter, yes.

And yes I think its dangerous. Can't see your insurance paying out if you do something so reckless.

I know its down to common sense but I think really it should be law when riding on the roads to have saddle/bridle/hat/reflectives to encourage the numpties to be more sensible.

Tia

Visit site
It's just a rope halter with knots on the pressure points. I ride a few of mine in them sometimes and if you have a well trained horse then no they aren't dangerous in the slightest; just like riding a regular horse in a bridle.

flyingfeet

Visit site
My saddle fitter uses a rope halter to hack out - has no problems and as much control as a bit (actually with her horse more! She wishes she could compete in dressage with one!)

Its a question of training - yes its dangerous to stick a halter on for the first time and hack out, but not if you've put in the training. Same with a young horse - you don't put a bridle on for the first time and hack them out.

If you do a search for "Bosal" on google you can find out about the mild American hackamores. These are acceptable to compete and do all activities in the US.

Just because your horse has a bit, doesn't mean the rider is in control either! I've seen so many people that didn't ought to be on the road full stop!!!

By the way rope headcollars don't automatically mean parelli, I use nothing but rope halters (except in the trailer) and was using them before Parelli got famous. I haven't really looked into their methods any further than reading the odd magazine article.

Jemayni

Visit site
My friend is big into her parelli stuff, and I have to admit it is so good it is actually annoying! We went on a charity pleasure ride together in the summer, my pony was so over excited he bucked, reared and jogged the whole way round; her horse (Pure arab) did not bat an eyelid the whole way round she could always stop and her horse didnt even bother when the several rather annoying people came past us at a flat out gallop!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Was it a knotted halter with a single rope? The idea is to "throw" the rope over the horses head to change direction.

Yup...and I agree In appropriate situation they probably are really useful…but down a bendy B road near Guilford?

Was hoping someone could tell me the mentality behind the whole thing, because at the moment I have looked at the website and it looks like an American making money…want to find out more.

I ride mine in a headcollar, but wouldn’t do it permanently!

Tia

Visit site
Rope halters cost about $5 so about £2.50 your money; so no they aren't a money making scam LOL!! I have tonnes of them.

Tia

Visit site
Oh and they aren't headcollars - they are rope halters with knots on the pressure points. Halters have to be fitted correctly - headcollars are just thrown on.

metalmare

Visit site
I actually trained Nile in a halter with great success - I couldn't control him in a headcollar when I taught him to lead.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Yeah I bought mine from Canada, as complete with rope they did work out around £3.50 including shipping!

However we now sell some from Germany, which granted are a better rope than my cheapies, but retail at £10.

Most rope headcollars have nothing to do with Parelli. Also I do have a rope Dr Cook style bridle (which could be mistaken for a halter), certainly wouldn't hack on the road in either, but my neds are vandals bitless and work well with a bit so I don't feel the need to reschool them.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
No no no….I don’t think that the rope thing is a scam….what with the tours, clothing, credit card etc advertised on the website.

So back to my question…why do people do it? What does it do to the horses?

metalmare

Visit site
The actual 'official' halters by Pat Parelli are about £30 in the catalogues which is a scam when I got mine for £4 and I know some people make their own.

Tia

Visit site
They ride in them just like you ride in your bitted bridles - no different from you chosing a different bit or preferring to ride in a hackamore.

It doesn't do anything to the horses?? It purely works gently on the pressure points and if the horse is well trained then it is perfectly safe.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My friend has passed 2 of her parelli exams and she jumps hers in one! Very good to watch, the jumping and general pareli. Don't think she would hack out in the halter though??

Chex

Visit site
I tried to hack out in one, and its not something I'd repeat without actually training me and him first lol. If they have just as much (or more) control in a parelli halter I don't see the problem or danger in riding on the road in one. I was planning on doing parelli stuff with Chex over the winer, but haven't got round to it yet.

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I meant the mentality of wanting to ride the horses like that…why? Is it for problem horses?

I ride mine in a hackamore sometimes…?!!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it could be due to mouth problems or for horses that don't go well in a bit.

However like most thing in the equine world its probably fashion. That said fashions are great for retailers!!
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
No I certainly wouldn't ever ride a problem horse in one. They are very mild and you have to have a well trained horse who is sensitive to the aids. Definitely not for nutty horses that's for sure.

Tia

Visit site
It could very well be fashion in England, but I know lots of folks here who have ridden in halters since before the beginning of time LOL!!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Hi Tia – as I said, it’s all relative. If you live in Canada there is a fair chance people have a lot of safer places to ride than the London Road through Bookham…and (sorry to stereotype) the rope halter would not have looked out of place on a horse being ridden Western style through the Canadian countryside…

But I cannot see the mentality of donning my scull cap, a yellow tabard, putting on my GP saddle and brushing bootsThen chucking on my fetching blue rope halter and thinking “lets go for a potter along a busy road…”so I was wondering why people do it – what are their reasons for making that choice.

What happens if the horse spooks, bolts etc – how the ek do you stop! Pressure points or no pressure points!

Only at the moment I am of the opinion that they may be slightly barmy.

Tia

Visit site
If the horse bolts then you have no more control over it whether you are in a bit or a halter. A horse is always far stronger than us - it's all down to training.

I can't see any difference in them chosing to ride in a hackamore, cheltenham gag, french link snaffle, bosal, whatever type of noseband.....or a rope halter? They are just different choices.

I think you have a different image of Canada LOL!! Where I live is JUST like Hampshire and most people do not have the vast trail system that I have. They usually ride along the roads. Traffic here is not so sensitive to the horse rider - they don't slow down for you at all and don't acknowledge the rider or horse in the slightest. So it is probably far more dangerous to ride here than in England.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Just goes to show! There is me taking in all the bears and wolves stories from you, and imagining that the whole of Canada is like that apart from a few big cities. PLEASE don't ruin this illusion!

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! Sorry. No where I live looks exactly like the Newbury/Berkshire/Hampshire border area. Only difference is that our critters are bigger and a bit more dangerous, LOL!!