Perelli

Tia

Visit site
Aww I am so sorry.
crazy.gif

No I only live a mile from a civilised town (one of many in the area LOL!!),quarter of a mile from 2 major roads, and only an hour and a half away from Toronto. It may just seems that I live in the middle of nowhere as I live at the very end of a short dead end road.

I'm really sorry to disappoint you LOL!!

loopeepee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aww I am so sorry.
crazy.gif

No I only live a mile from a civilised town (one of many in the area LOL!!),quarter of a mile from 2 major roads, and only an hour and a half away from Toronto. It may just seems that I live in the middle of nowhere as I live at the very end of a short dead end road.

I'm really sorry to disappoint you LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shucks! I had TOTALLY the opposite mapped out in my head! Just out of interest (and sorry, totally off the boil) but how long have you been in Canada?

Tia

Visit site
I've only been living here permanently for 2 years.

Incidentally, I live 15 minutes drive from the busiest motorway in the whole of North America!!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_401_(Ontario)

Oh Welshie, people actually DO go kayaking and snowmobiling (in winter) to the stores where I live, LOL!! It's sort of weird here as although we aren't in the sticks people do still seem to have that pioneer spirit. It is just culturally different from the UK, however the landscape and facilities are the same.

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
I pony at the stables where I ride (he's a real monster) got in a fight with a mare and lost some of his lip... He's ridden by complete beginners in a bitless bridle now and is perfectly behaved!

RobinHood

Visit site
Just because they were riding in a halter doesn;t mean they practise parelli. My friend jumps her horse with just a rope round his neck and she certainly isn't into parelli, she and her horse just trust each other.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Tia you say you fairly close to Toronto. I used to live in Oshawa in Ontartio, my brother still does, how far is that from you? Just so I can get my bearings a bit
smile.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Can I just say I am not talking bitless bridle, hackamore or anything similar, I am talking a length of rope with a few knots???

Tia, you have shattered my illusion of you. It’s completely gone. I had you wresting black bears and wearing a cowboy hat, your horses galloping free over the endless acres you have…

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well if your horse is well trained they should be able to do all disciplines (yes including dressage). However in the UK at affiliated level you'd probably only be able to Show Jump in it.

Tia

Visit site
Ohh Oshawa is just down the road from me!! I am midway between Peterborough and Belleville and my nearest junction on the 401 is at Brighton.

Do you ever visit him? When are you next coming? Hmmmmm I feel a right ole' Canadian Meetup coming on........
grin.gif

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ohh Oshawa is just down the road from me!! I am midway between Peterborough and Belleville and my nearest junction on the 401 is at Brighton.

Do you ever visit him? When are you next coming? Hmmmmm I feel a right ole' Canadian Meetup coming on........
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No I havent visited him for some time unfortunately. Lets say relationships are a little strained! I beleive he is working in Montreal at the moment - hes a carpenter.

Peterborough I remember well - infact I have relatives there - my dads sister and her family. Belleville doesnt ring any bells.
Beautiful country - so vast - many people over here don't realise quite how vast. I remember on my last trip travelling from Oshawa to Deep River - some 4 hours driving and we were still in the same state! Unbeleiveable!
I hope to visit again sometime soon, would be great to have a meetup!
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you hack in that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand - why wouldn't you? It's like me saying why would you ride your horse in a bridle and martingale OR why would you ride in a saddle?

The rope halter has just a rope attached to it underneath and you can either ride with it free like a lead rope or you can attach it underneath so you have both ends attached to the halter.

Here's my stallion in his halter - I lead and ride him in it.
129521253.jpg

Tia

Visit site
Hmmm well let's say - Belleville isn't too memorable a city LOL!!

If ever you are over you must let us over here know and we will arrange something for us all.....perhaps we could all go trail riding....I know someone who has loads of horses....
grin.gif

JACQSZOO

Visit site
That would be fantastic! I cant think of anything I would like more.
I must say, and I know you are trying to delay it, but I love the winters over there. I remember as a child being fascinated by the trees because all the branches had an inch of ice on the branches, and the lake being frozen at the shore with, what were to me then, huge great icebergs! I think I may have my rose tinted glasses on!

Tia

Visit site
Ooh no I cheated - I brought them with me from England. Sadly they aren't really warm enough for over here but I think that piccy was taking in March so not so cold then.

You should see the boots I have for winter over here!!
shocked.gif
OMG they are serious toe-warmers......blooming ugly though LOL!!

Tia

Visit site
Oh no I'm only trying to delay it until the day after tomorrow. My husband comes back from England tomorrow and I need the day after to get him to help me with some last minute jobs.

I adore the winter here - so long as the sky is blue and the sun is shining I don't really care too much about the temperatures.....although there really are some days when it is really too cold to do much outside....but these are infrequent.

Well if you ever get your butt over here let me know. I have some luverly hosses.
cool.gif

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh no I'm only trying to delay it until the day after tomorrow. My husband comes back from England tomorrow and I need the day after to get him to help me with some last minute jobs.

I adore the winter here - so long as the sky is blue and the sun is shining I don't really care too much about the temperatures.....although there really are some days when it is really too cold to do much outside....but these are infrequent.

Well if you ever get your butt over here let me know. I have some luverly hosses.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly shall. Thank you very much for the invite.
grin.gif

claire1976

Visit site
Here we go again!!
mad.gif

Why can't people just accept that sometimes riders do things differently.
I've been riding Parelli for over 6 years now, although I use other types different natural horsemanship methods as well.
It astounds me when I see people riding in flash nosebands, martingales, draw reins etc but each to their own.
There is no highway law against riding in a rope halter, you just have to be able to prove you have control over your horse whatever you use. I've seen plenty of people out riding in various 'british' gadgets who still don't have control.
I could ride my mare down the M1 and still have 99.99% control in a rope bridle.
grin.gif

I get a little tired of people slating 'natural/intelligent' horsemanship methods. I don't ram it down peoples throats but I cannot understand why people feel that gadgets solve the problem - its just an excuse for lazy riding and poor training.
In 20 years I reckon the majority of UK riders will shift onto using rope headcollars and bridles, it may be a long way off but it will happen!
smirk.gif

clipclop

Visit site
You appear to have a real mental block about this.
smile.gif

How is a horse trained in a rope bridle any different to, let's say, my horse who is trained and ridden in a leather bridle and snaffle bit.

If he chose to p1ss off in either I wouldn't have a hope in hell.:p

I am not "in to" this kind of stuff bet I really can not see a problem with it.

It seems to me that so far on this thread the riders who have horses trained to rope bridles have less trouble than us in our conventional bridles.
blush.gif

How many posts are there in the Stable forum about requiring stronger bits etc? Rather a lot I believe!
blush.gif

Hmmm, now,,,where is that length of rope I saw the other day,,,,,,,?
tongue.gif

unicorndreams

Visit site
I personally have used rope halters with success to retrain 'gobby' horses who have learned to lean on the bit due to riders with no 'hands' who thought that the solution to their problem was to put a stronger bit in. How many horses have to suffer this abuse before people will wake up to the fact that its a rider problem not a horse one? Gadgets are a poor excuse for bad hands and ignorant riders - but a shortcut to those who can't be bothered to learn how to get the 'feel'. Try it, learn how to 'feel' the horse and the rewards of a light, responsive yet sensible horse are worth the time it takes. And don't be blinkered into thinking you must always ride in a halter, looking like a cowboy, if you follow the techniques through they provide excellent basis for supple and responsive horses of all disciplines.