Persistent rug rubs

nel509

Visit site
My new horse came with very short clip and iv been struggling with everything that touches rubbing him. Im using sheepskin on reins and breastplate etc...but im struggling on his chest and shoulders. Iv tried bossy bibs, lycra bib and lycra hoods but they all seem to rub to some degree. He doesnt habe much meat on his bones and he was clipped within an inch of his life before i got him. He's filling out now but looks awful where he's constantly getting rubbed. Im trying to find a sheepskin lined bib or something similar but can only find an Australian company. Has anyone any advide on how to deal with this. Im praying for warmer weather so he can go naked

tatty_v

Visit site
I found the Bossy Bib worked, but it did take a while for the rub to grow out and disappear (I would say at least 4-6 weeks). My pony has all sorts of random patches at this time of year as I think he's more prone to them as his coat changes, but the Bossy Bib has worked for us x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I bought 2 weatherbeeta non stretch ones this year and one of mine normally always has bald shoulders and his stayed hairy this year and they were only £8.99, I think you have to put them on as soon as your rugs start going back on as once the rubbing starts its too late, I find spraying coat shine also helps on clipped coats but it is difficult to stop any rubs on bony bits.

I also use a product called wonder gel gold label make it and it is for minor skin conditions and help hair growth I find it also helps with any itching they might have.

Last edited:

nel509

Visit site
I can't work out if it's gone worse with the bossy bib on. Every day it's seems to have spread...the rub is now the shape of a bib

nel509

Visit site
I bought 2 weatherbeeta non stretch ones this year and one of mine normally always has bald shoulders and his stayed hairy this year and they were only £8.99, I think you have to put them on as soon as your rugs start going back on as once the rubbing starts its too late, I find spraying coat shine also helps on clipped coats but it is difficult to stop any rubs on bony bits.

I will keep trying with my collection of satin bibs and Lycra...I've ordered a Lemieux one too. I have got the wonder gel, along with a whole host of other hair growth remedies, I think I have every one going ��. I've put Vaseline on tonight to see how that fars overnight.. I'm trying to find sheepskin bib, or have one made sheepskin works really well under saddle

I also use a product called wonder gel gold label make it and it is for minor skin conditions and help hair growth I find it also helps with any itching they might have.
I will keep trying with my collection of bibs, is ordered a Lemieux on too. I do have the wonder gell, and have been putting that on and letting it dry. I've lots of other lotions and potions for hair growth too. Hopefully it will resolve itself in a few weeks, his coat is moulting so I think it's just a bad time

JDH01

Visit site
I have used a variety of bibs and vests and found the weatherbeeter the best for a very thin skinned boy. Also covered all breast girths, girths and breastplates in real sheepskin covers, head collar metal bits I taped as they also rubbed when traveling