Persuasive Essay Topics

megaar

New User
Visit site
I've been set the task by my english teacher to write a persuasive essay. It's totally free reign so I thought I'd go down the equine root. I had a few topic ideas like rider protection(helmet, body protector etc) or guide horses vs guide dogs but I'm unable to find a valid argument to argue against for any. I've searched through the H&H forums for debates but 8 pages through the tack room I thought I'd ask for help.

What equestrian topics do you have strong opinions on?

Thank-you in advance :)

Rebels

Visit site
The degrees of submission in dressage ( forced or trained)
The use of shoes on horses
Natural vs traditional horsemanship

snooples

Visit site
Iv probably missed the point of your post and am about to list things that are completely irrelevant but I said id give it a go anyway :D

Probably the biggest debate raging at the moment would be rolkur, where a lot of top riders and also not so top riders are using it and getting good results especially on the continent while many many people are very much against it.

And then there is jump racing, lots of people are against it especially in countries such as the US and Australia.

Shod v unshod

Bit v bitless

Then maybe Fat v thin, I myself think horses are healthier on the skinny side of healthy (if it had to be either side) while many many people think horses who ribs are visible are on deaths door and would rather have a fatty. But this would probably be very scientific really and not great for just a standard english essay

megaar

New User
Visit site
We've been encouraged to use scientific evidence so maybe I could write on "how thin is too thin?" then ask peoples opinions compared to nutritionists. There's so much to write about but so little material :(

TandD

Visit site
dont go to difficult! it will get muddled and awkward, then not read well. a short subject will allow you to clearly express your thoughts and not ramble
dont 'over topic' your self, be specific!

may be:
hi vis/ no hi vis?
individual/group turnout
over rugging/under-rugging

i dont have strong opinions on these things - just quite easy to write about i think

rotters13

Visit site
No doubt I'm being an idiot but aren't all essays meant to be persuasive? By persuasive essay do you mean article?

In horse world, why don't you talk about something where there is a wealth of information to tap into? Like Hunting? Lots for both sides!
Or you could do one which is a lot more light-hearted. For example, why it is always better to go to Costa than Starbucks, or why you think pidgeons are the best accessory to London. Perhaps why horse riding is much better than running or going walking?

rotters13

Visit site
If you want someone to proofread I would be more than happy to do so, I've just finished university exams so am at a spare end!

Or ... you could write an article about how horse-drawn carriages were transformed from run of the mill to the preserve of royalty during the 20th century. That may be a bit overly specific however!

TelH

Visit site
I personally would go down the racing route...eg is it right to race a 2yo, or the use of drugs in racing, or the annual Grand National debate. There is no shortage of opinions about racing :)

The wife

Visit site
Racing is quite a good one as it is a very emotive subject, information is readily available and nearly everybody will have watched or seen the subject of racing at some point.

If you are doing a persuasive essay remember to engage the reader on an emotional level and to target your audience well, state facts and figures while keeping it interesting without quoting too much statistical evidence, otherwise it will get dull. Put the reader into a horses shoes, play with their emotions. As a reader I'll already have my own opinion on a subject before I've even read your article but by the end of it I should feel one of 2 ways, either agreeing completely with what you've said or re-thinking my previous train of thought and questioning what is right.

The vs suggestions would be ideal for an unbiased discussion assignment for/against but as you are on a persuasive you need a subject that you are passionate about and can make a real grounding on and feel strongly for as you'll write it with more flair.

Sorry about my own essay, I love English and get really excited about questions like this! It was my favourite subject at school! Would love to read it after you've handed it in :)

Cherrydan

Visit site
You could go with how we attribute human characteristics to horses, the psychology of the horse, you could mention old barbaric methods of. 'breaking' horses, and how our understanding of equine psychology, pressure release techniques have evolved in a more humane way...less physical pressure compared to quiet handling... A more equine friendly way of communication, rather than saying the horse is being difficult hope that makes sense...there will be a lot of discussions online, and you could also mention natural horsemanahip, quote parelli, and you could argue that whilst some methods work, sometimes a combination of mental pressure obtains more trust than a crop, but sometimes a crop can get you out of a lot of domineering testing from horses...having finished my dissertation last year,makes me miss my studies...good luck.x

Mink

New User
Visit site
I've been set the task by my english teacher to write a persuasive essay. It's totally free reign so I thought I'd go down the equine root. I had a few topic ideas like rider protection(helmet, body protector etc) or guide horses vs guide dogs but I'm unable to find a valid argument to argue against for any. I've searched through the H&H forums for debates but 8 pages through the tack room I thought I'd ask for help.

HI Megaar- I am an English teacher. Depending on which exam board you are doing (are you doing GCSE's?) you should not need to provide both sides of an argument for a persuasive essay...the idea is to persuade your reader of your point of view! It is useful to be aware of both sides clearly, but what you are describing is more of a debate piece. If you want me to look at anything, PM me, happy to help. Think about a statement, for instance: 'It is essential that riders wear riding helmets every time they ride a horse' , make a list of the points that you want to make, then google for some facts and statistics to back up your point of view. Does that help?

megaar

New User
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions! I narrowed it down to a few and I think I'll go for racing two year olds, I was going to do hunting but I think I'll save it for a discursive if It's part of the course, I haven't yet looked into it.
rotters13 there are different types of essays like evaluation of a text or media and discursive.
The Wife and rotters13 I would be more than happy to send you the finished piece but the deadline hasn't been set yet, I like to do things early :)
Mink, I'm in Scotland so GCSEs are non existent, I've moved from Standard Grade to National 5 on the new curriculum which is equivalent Intermediate 2 or credit Standard Grade on the old curriculum if that means anything to you. What you described is what I meant but I'm not the best at explaining. I tend to get ahead of myself and ramble on.
Sorry if I've missed anything but thanks again everyone :)

MissSBird

Visit site
Just a heads up megaar - you will probably find your teacher will suggest you do not touch the fox hunting debate for either your discursive or persuasive essay. It's been done to death and is a fairly old topic (consider that it was banned in scotland over 10 years ago now). It was popular for the discursive essay when I was doing my Standard grades around that time. 2 years later my younger sister wanted to do it and was strongly discouraged by her teacher as it was over-done. She only got away with it cause she argued pro when the majority go against. You will probably create a stronger essay engaging with a more modern subject, where you will have more up to date sources to examine.

With a persuasive essay, the key thing to remember is that you need to persuade the reader to your opinion. What makes a good essay will ultimately be your passion and willingness to engage with and promote one side of an argument. So, pick a topic that you do have an opinion on, that you do take an interest in. It will make researching, arguing and writing the essay much easier!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
It's just that you'd think a user with the name "essaytips" might have given as their first tip "Don't take three months to hand your essay in as it's unlikely to be within the deadline".

amandap

Visit site

Well its got to be barefoot! Ha ha You can't just google it though. lol

I really just wanted to :D at BHS official appearing.