Pessoa - Opinions wated

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I've never had any real experiance of them, but if you go onto ebay theres a copy of it for £18
tongue.gif
Well, it serves the same purpose anywho

vhf

Visit site
With some horses yes, with others no! Sorry! My current mare hates it and goes worse, yet it was the absolute making of previous one.
If you get one, do watch that especially if you buy on Ebay you get one that DOES have the roller with it - some don't, fine if you already have something to do the job...
Also, don't overdo using it if you get enthusiastic in your non-riding phase (good luck with that being over soon!) Like anything, too much of even a good thing becomes a bad thing.
I have seen some nasty examples of Pessoa over/mis-use, just like any other gadget, including bits - and riders!

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
I have a roller so assume that will be ok - I can't remember how many rings it has though - should there be a specific amount ???

silverbreeze

Visit site
I love my pessoa but I would echo VHF in the comment about not overusing it. There are a coupleof people on our yard that do it too often and for far too long and they are having some problems now with muscle strain.

vhf

Visit site
Check you have the right rings on your roller - eg the one between the legs and the one on either side... There's ones at/near the top too. Can't remember the exact configuarion as mine's been stored for some time, but you'll probably find a picture online somewhere!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I use the topflight - £30 off ebay though you do need a roller. I have used this on both Chancer and Farra - though with her it is on very loose as she is a big clumsy 5 year old.

Start with only 5 mins on low setting and build up. If you think they will have a reaction to the back part of the set up, with the topflight you have use this just by itself, ie not attached to the mouth to start with. I didn't bother with Chancer and Farra as they are sensible sorts and just got on with it.

I use mine once a week in summer as I ride more, but twice a week in winter as I am often short of time during the week to keep mine fit and muscled.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
When you start:

Max. five minutes each side;
Walk and trot only, no canter;
Have it on the lowest setting;
Don't hook up until you're in the school.

Alternate with:
Lunging, but do it eliptically, so's ned isn't constantly working in a circle;
Long-lining;
Free schooling.

Hope you get well soon
smile.gif

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Personally I think £40 is too much unless it is a named one (ie the JW ones) but for just a standard copy it is too much.
Best type of roller is to have one with as many rings as possible so you can start off with a low setting.