pessoa v long reining

CIJ

Visit site
Is long reining really just as good as what the pessoa aims to do?? I was looking into pessoas and found some people saying that long reining was just as good. I've long reined in the past and used a pessoa for the 1st time last week (under trainers guidence) and I think the pessoa worked better. Thoughts????

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well, I don't like either of them, for different reasons. What, exactly, does the pessoa aim to do? And I would only long rein horses which are to be used for driving.

CIJ

Visit site
Well, I don't like either of them, for different reasons. What, exactly, does the pessoa aim to do? And I would only long rein horses which are to be used for driving.

If I've understood correctly, it gets the horse using it's back end more without the interference of the rider making it lighter in front. I've long reined on a large circle in the past due to injury of the horse as riding it was not an option.

ponies4ever

Visit site
We always go Pessoa at the yard I'm at. The horse is responsible for its actions with the Pessoa and the release is immediate but long reining is controlled by the lunger.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I prefer the equi ami to the pessoa, but depending on the horse, I would personally choose two rein lungeing, but only if you are very skilled in reacting quickly to what the horse is doing in order that it works correctly.