pet portrait

JillA

Visit site
Don't mean to pry but would you mind telling me how much she charged for that? I paint and some people ask about commissions and when I suggest a realistic price they go cold on me - they seem to expect me to do it for nothing. Message me if you'd prefer to keep it private

oldie48

Visit site
No problem as it's on her website, £85 framed, it's in a 12x 16 inch frame approx. This included coming to the house to takes photos. I think it represented excellent value. I think it's done in pastels? TBH i had expected it to cost more than that. My husband has had paintings of my horses done over the years, slightly bigger watercolours and they were a lot more expensive, (£200 ish he thinks) the last one didn't look at all like the horse so was very disappointing.

satinbaze

Visit site
A friend of mine does pet portraits and she charges £100 mounted and framed. Very good value imho. She did my old CKCS and I must get her to do Tiva for me

Lintel

Visit site
We got a lovely joint present for Christmas from MIL. A girl at her work does portraits for fun.
It's a great likeness of our boy and she has done and amazing job but unfortunately the picture she went on was during his transition between smallish puppy head.. and big ears! Your portrait looks amazing im sure OH will be so pleased!20190112_203818.jpg

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Don't mean to pry but would you mind telling me how much she charged for that? I paint and some people ask about commissions and when I suggest a realistic price they go cold on me - they seem to expect me to do it for nothing. Message me if you'd prefer to keep it private

People don't realise how long these things can take, and if you're earning much less than £30 an hour, then realistically you're probably better off in Tesco according to most advice I've seen. Not easy to earn a decent living from this, I charge a lot more than this lady and still struggle to make a realistic wage. Pension? Holidays? Don't make me laugh :D

No problem as it's on her website, £85 framed, it's in a 12x 16 inch frame approx. This included coming to the house to takes photos. I think it represented excellent value. I think it's done in pastels? TBH i had expected it to cost more than that. My husband has had paintings of my horses done over the years, slightly bigger watercolours and they were a lot more expensive, (£200 ish he thinks) the last one didn't look at all like the horse so was very disappointing.

I would lay a lot of money on her not needing to make a living, even if she's doing the portrait in an hour, and lives locally, that's not a living wage.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Beautiful picture, she must have spent hours on it. I agree with sbloom, that's not a sustainable wage! I'd expect to pay upwards of 150 for a framed painting of that quality.

oldie48

Visit site
I totally agree, I think when she is more established and confident in her worth she will raise her price. ATM this is a hobby worked around her day job, putting the portrait on here and also on fb has been an attempt to raise her profile.

sbloom

Good for you for helping her, and so glad you posted that last post. It's easy to keep prices low when it's a hobby, but in these days of austerity there are so many people that do have to have a hobby job to earn a few more pennies but it makes it really hard for full timers to keep going.

JillA

Visit site

Thanks for that and the subsequent comments. Whilst I paint for pleasure and am retired so don't need to make a living at it, I am conscious of those who do and don't want to undercut. It's difficult - I get requests for commissions and as soon as I mention a price over about £50 they go quiet. I did dip a toe in the water with ebay but had to let this one go for a pittance

Attachments

• CAroles Meg.jpg
    CAroles Meg.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 5

sbloom

Thanks for that and the subsequent comments. Whilst I paint for pleasure and am retired so don't need to make a living at it, I am conscious of those who do and don't want to undercut. It's difficult - I get requests for commissions and as soon as I mention a price over about £50 they go quiet. I did dip a toe in the water with ebay but had to let this one go for a pittance

The self employed are always tempted to try and please everyone, your local Ferrari dealer won't be feeling sorry enough for anyone to drop their prices, I really appreciate you consider those that do need to make a living :). If you explain that you're making less than minimum wage they do start to understand, I find those that are self employed themselves are always happy to pay a decent amount!