Pete's First BE100 & a WWYD?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Had a super outing to Little Downham yesterday. Great event, well run, lovely courses and reliable ground. Was doing Petes first ever BE100, and the first that I've done since 2006 which is a slightly demoralising fact! Have had some major dressage blips recently, so a 39, whilst not competitive, was actually a step in the right direction.

Had 2 unlucky ones down showjumping as he only rubbed them, but they were twisty courses and light poles and it was his first 1m05 course. The round was really smooth and I just let him roll on slightly too much hence the rubs, but when he got it right he got it really right :)

XC was a lovely fast clear with no hesitations anywhere. Course probably fell on the slightly easier side of BE100 but a great first one for him to do. He has had some issues with skinnys in the past so pleased to jump a few, and a decent enough corner, without him thinking 'sideways' instead of forwards!!

So onwards and upwards for the next one, no idea when that will be though as haven't got any transport for Milton Keynes and won't run at Stratford Hills for various reasons.

ANYWAY my conundrum! Work is moving to Marlborough/Swindon area in July and I am moving with them (from East Anglia). My mum lives 34 miles away and keeps horse at livery there (along with horsebox etc.) I can see 2 main options and not sure which is better...

1. keep horse at work where I can ride every day (indoor school and great hacking) but do not have any regular competition transport, and do have the pain of effectively never leaving work...

2. keep horse with my mums horse 34 miles away and only ride 3 or 4 times a week (indoor school and floodlit arenas, so can ride late on into evening if neccessary) but have regular access to transport to go competing every weekend should I wish, and also access to really good tuition (all my old instructors are at this yard, I know them well and would be keen to use them). I could feasibly go up for a long weekend fri-sun and ride fri/sat/sun then just go up once a week (say on a wednesday) and have him lunged for me on the other days...

thoughts?!

vic07

Visit site
2. I have horses at my parents 25 miles away. Monday is a day off. Tuesday school them all after work. Wednesday my mum hacks them out for me. Thursday
Day off. Friday school them ( I do have a half day!) Saturday and Sunday is eventjng, competing, galloping. It's not perfect but they are all happy and fit to compete.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Hmm, food for thought - I thought people would pick option 1! Mum's yard has rubbish hacking and has many 'issues'! but I kept my old horse there for over 10 years when I was at school, so know the ins and outs pretty well.

I guess that the fact that I have now done the BE100 with Pete and feel like I should try and get the most out of the rest of the season and make some progress is tempting me back to keeping him there - I can stop panicking about not being able to make plans or get him out and about when I want to...

dixie

Visit site
No brainer - mums all the way! (plus you'll get fed there and can take your washing :p)

This is what I would do too. You'll get fed up at constantly being at work.
Shame about the poor hacking though. Is it much better at work? That May swing it for me. At least if it didn't work out at work you've got another option.

PorkChop

Visit site
Well done, a lovely solid run, and great pictures!

I too would keep your horse at your mum's, transport would be more important to me than decent hacking.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Why are you not doing the ROR at Stratford? Would have thought that would be a good one, but a step down. I'm hoping my grey Connie lookalike will go there. Lovely pics, by the way!

dafthoss

Visit site
You were following the horse I was watching yesterday so I have some more photos of him if you would like them? He looked cracking I must say.

tonitot

Visit site
I'd go for option 2, I currently keep my horse at work because I struggled to find a yard close enough that wasn't too expensive and she would settle at so she's at work until I find the perfect place (for me and my horse) so I don't have to keep moving her. It is a bit annoying always being at work, especially when I'm waiting for her time on the walker to be up and I get asked to do little jobs when it's my weekend off like sort the racing stuff out/put a horse on the walker etc. At the moment for me it is easier to keep her at work, I live just round the corner so barely any money spent on petrol and an upside is if there is ever a problem with her (as there was when she got very mild colic a month or so ago) I know straight away. When I find a nice yard that is no more than 10 mins away and does part livery fairly cheaply then I wouldn't hesitate to move her but until then she's staying at work (not that she minds being there As her job is to every now and then lead our jumper over the hurdles on the Links, which she loves!)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm another saying mum unless there is a compelling reason not to. I almost always had my horse at work in one form or another, as I couldn't afford options, but I found I often did less with him than when he lived with my trainer, even though I didn't ride every day. I agree about being asked to do little jobs and generally distracting. Although you may be better at compartmentaliseing than me!

But only you can really weigh the costs. It sounds like fitness would be easier at work but the support system is better at your mum's so it depends what you need more

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Dafthoss, I would love some more photos if you have any! I am an obsessive photo collector. OH was actually 'helping' yesterday, by which I mean he was sunbathing and neglected to actually watch me doing any of the phases, never mind take photos..!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Cundlegreen, not going to Stratford as I have no transport. I had looked at doing the RoR90 and thought it would be a good idea, but sadly can't get there. I can just about tow with my car, but it struggles a bit and wouldn't trust it to go that far!! I can cope with ely/fenning/milton and thats about it!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Just sharing the fab pics that dafthoss took (thanks very much dafthoss!!)

First fence in the SJ:
10347537_10152399067816355_1743106502738813139_n.jpg

Fence 3 on the XC:
10433068_10152399067991355_5993784025330004208_n.jpg

Fence 4 on the XC (2 of these on a tight L hand curve):
10329178_10152399068076355_2834095215122030213_n.jpg

hobo

Visit site
Whoops to late I would have been option 1 as depending were you are there is some great hacking where you are going. Depending how easy he is to keep fit would matter as well. Would it be easy to get dressage lessons where you work so that you can more up the results list by improving his dressage. What ever you choose good luck.

Bills

Visit site
I would stick with mum and the transport if it were me, being able to get out and compete would be a priority.

Great pics, he has a fab jump! :)