Petition for the law to value animals properly

cptrayes

Visit site
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71053

I think we need 100,000 signatures on this to get it taken to the government officially. Please sign it and spread it as wide as you can. I don't use Facebook, but I'm sure some of you will put it out there.

Thanks.

(The responsible department is incorrect, they changed it from what I put on it, it should be the ministry of justice! I hope it won't make any difference.)

Last edited:

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
So what are you trying to do with this? How can you quantify "emotional value"? Are you saying that someone who, say, allows their dog to chase and kill a dog that's the owner's baby substitute gets a higher level of fine / sentence / compensation cost than someone who kills a dog that's merely a family dog?

amandap

Visit site
I applaud the sentiment CPT, I need to ponder on the wording. I do believe domestic animals especially pets and those we have close 'useful' relationships with deserve a status in law with more 'value'/rights than chattels.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Done.

I thought the wording was OK. As I understand it the petition is to get the subject debated, not to have all the answers.

Better than a raft of other ones I have seen that have wording that I could not sign up to.

MissTyc

Visit site
I'm not normally one for these petitions but have signed this one.
Just at lunch time on the radio there was a discussion about police not investigating stolen dogs ... and this is exactly the same problem.

cptrayes

Visit site
So what are you trying to do with this? How can you quantify "emotional value"? Are you saying that someone who, say, allows their dog to chase and kill a dog that's the owner's baby substitute gets a higher level of fine / sentence / compensation cost than someone who kills a dog that's merely a family dog?

I was trying to do a bit of good, not have an argument. If you don't want to sign it, don't.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I was trying to do a bit of good, not have an argument. If you don't want to sign it, don't.

Wow - over-reaction. The question was just that, a question. I didn't understand what you had written so I asked for clarification. Oh well :(

BethanT

Visit site
I have signed and shared on facebook. Hopefully should reach the required number of signatures for something to be done. After all it isn't just for the benefit of horse lovers, but dog lovers too.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I have signed, but also have some reservations regarding cats, as they are usually out in public spaces, other peoples land, roads etc unsupervised. Much as I like cats, if one were to stray into a fenced garden and be killed by the garden owners dog, or run onto a road and be hit by a car, would that be an offence and have to see the owner compensated?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have signed, but also have some reservations regarding cats, as they are usually out in public spaces, other peoples land, roads etc unsupervised. Much as I like cats, if one were to stray into a fenced garden and be killed by the garden owners dog, or run onto a road and be hit by a car, would that be an offence and have to see the owner compensated?

There is a vast difference between an accident (eg a cat runs out in front of your car) and purposefully putting down someone else's healthy cat without the owner's permission.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
There is a vast difference between an accident (eg a cat runs out in front of your car) and purposefully putting down someone else's healthy cat without the owner's permission.
There is, however the petition simply states killing, which I am sure is largely due to the word limit and other constraints, which could include accidental means. I think we need to be aware of unintended consequences.

cptrayes

Visit site
I have signed, but also have some reservations regarding cats, as they are usual out in public spaces, other peoples land, roads etc unsupervised. Much as I like cats, if one were to stray into a fenced garden and be killed by the garden owners dog, or run onto a road and be hit by a car, would that be an offence and have to see the owner compensated?

The law is already clear about the uncontrollability of cats, I think.

Please guys, this petition is only asking law makers to write some new law. It isn't supposed to be saying exacrly what that wording should be, I'm not that clever!

Merrymoles

Visit site
I've signed as I think what such a petition does is open up the issue for debate. There will be hundreds of legal "niceities" to consider before any such thing becomes law but without a debate, things will remain the same.

I would like some legal comeback if anyone ever harms my animals on purpose. In addition to the Kit case, there have been a series of horse attacks in recent years and I assume such a law would also apply in these cases.