Petition for the law to value animals properly

zaminda

Visit site
I have signed because it needs looking at. I had issues with a neighbour a few years ago, and he threatened to kill my horses. The police were not interested, because they were just property.

cptrayes

Visit site
I have signed because it needs looking at. I had issues with a neighbour a few years ago, and he threatened to kill my horses. The police were not interested, because they were just property.

That's fairly typical, I think, Zaminda. If anyone gets into the same situation again and can get some proof (a witness, a text) go back to the police and insist that they at least interview him for the public order offence of causing harassment, alarm or distress.

cptrayes

Visit site
Can anyone put this onto dog/cat/other pet forums/Facebook sites that they use? I think the worst problem is actually stolen dogs, in terms of numbers, anyway.

zaminda

Visit site
Sadly cptrayes, we had long running issues with this guy, and we couldn't get the police to do anything about any of them, including him threatening us, and our customers.

cptrayes

Visit site
Sadly cptrayes, we had long running issues with this guy, and we couldn't get the police to do anything about any of them, including him threatening us, and our customers.

Shameful. Makes me angry! A caution wouldn't have cost them much time, you were terribly let down.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am surprised more people haven't signed this petition yet. This thread has had over a thousand views, and people have shared the link on facebook.

Dolcé

Visit site
Gutted at the low response on this petition. Fabulous opportunity for horse owners to get involved in the attachment to our animals being taken into account in the eyes of the law!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Dolcé;12663433 said:
Gutted at the low response on this petition. Fabulous opportunity for horse owners to get involved in the attachment to our animals being taken into account in the eyes of the law!

I feel the same. I can't understand it. I put it on another pet forum and most people seem to be in denial that there's even a problem. They seem to think that the current system will punish people who deliberately kill others' pets and already take into account the emotional toll. I think others just can't be bothered. Hopefully it's not because people think they themselves would fall foul of such a law. :(

Merrymoles

Visit site
Same old, same old - everyone gets worked up over the incident and then can't be ar$ed to do anything which might hold someone who does something similar in the future held to account.

I know there have been queries about the wording but poor old CPTrayes isn't trying to make the law, just get the topic debated by those who do!

MissTyc

Visit site
I don't think it's hit the big Facebook pages yet, not being passed around sufficiently ... i.e. not gone viral. I think people don't understand what it is - a friend messaged me and asked a whole load of "what if" questions ... To which I explained it was about debate, not about writing the law here and now. I responded in the end: "what if not even 100,000 people in this country sign the petition and the discussion doesn't even occur" to which she then went to sign the petition ...

cptrayes

Visit site
I'm feeling miserable now. How can this thread have approaching two thousand views and yet the petition only has two hundred signatures?

Who in the world does not want a person who killed a horse or stole a dog punished in a way that recognises what that animal was worth to the owner, not its value in pounds as a piece of property?

Big thank you to everyone who has signed and even bigger if you spread it too.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I haven't signed because I think changes in the law require a lot of thought. It is not something that should be done in haste or when emotions are running high.

I posted this link before, but I wonder whether anyone bothered to follow it? So here it is quoted in full! Speaking for myself, I bow to the greater wisdom of Texas Supreme Court, even if they are foreigners. The decison, incidentaly, seems to have been followed here in the UK as a precedent.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/stat...wners-cant-sue-for-pets-sentimental-value.ece

Texas Supreme Court says pet owners can’t sue for pets’ sentimental value

By DIANE JENNINGS Staff Writer djennings@dallasnews.com
Published: 05 April 2013 11:31 PM
Updated: 05 April 2013 11:31 PM

Texas pet owners can be compensated only for their animal’s market worth — not their sentimental value — under a decision issued Friday by the state Supreme Court.

The ruling reversed a lower court’s decision in a Tarrant County case and upheld a 122-year-old precedent.
The justices made an effort to stress their appreciation for the special place of pets — even invoking Old Yeller.

In the case, the Medlen family sued an employee of the Fort Worth animal shelter where their dog, Avery, was accidentally euthanized in 2009. The dog had escaped from a fenced yard during a storm. The Medlens were scheduled to retrieve Avery, but a shelter worker inadvertently placed her on a euthanization list. The family claimed they were entitled to damages for the companionship value of the dog. The high court unanimously disagreed. “Under Texas common law, the human-animal bond, while undeniable, is uncompensable,” Justice Don R. Willett wrote in the decision.

Randy Turner, who represented the Medlens, said the ruling was “a huge defeat for our four-legged friends.” Turner felt increasing the value of pets would give animal-care providers an incentive to be careful when conducting business. But Victor Schwartz, one of the attorneys who represented numerous animal groups, including the American Kennel Club, said the decision was a victory for companion animals. The animal groups feared allowing sentimental-value compensation would hike the cost of doing business for veterinarians, animal-medication companies, groomers and kennels.

Turner had couched the case as a property issue. He argued that in a 1963 case, the court allowed claims for sentimental damages for property such as photographs. But Schwartz argued that claims for damages for inanimate objects don’t have a ripple effect on anyone except the owner. A similar finding for pets would affect all pet owners by raising the cost of services. The court agreed. It noted that Texans can’t sue for the loss of family members unless they are close relatives, such as a spouse or parent. It would be “odd if Texas law permitted damages for loss of a Saint Bernard but not for a brother Bernard,” Willett wrote.

Turner, who specializes in animal-welfare cases, has tried to get the issue of sentimental value before the courts for years. This decision settles the issue. “That’s it,” he said. “There’s no appeal for this.”

fburton

Visit site
I'm feeling miserable now. How can this thread have approaching two thousand views and yet the petition only has two hundred signatures?
AIUI, not all views will be from different people. Someone following a thread (like I am this one) will return to it several times, and each time I open the thread it will be counted as a view. Or do I have that wrong?

I haven't signed because I think changes in the law require a lot of thought. It is not something that should be done in haste or when emotions are running high.
I imagine if there are enough signatures a lot of thought will go into any change in the law. A successful petition would be an indication that the issue is worth considering. To my mind, that's quite different from e.g. the over-hasty enactment of dangerous dogs law off the back of a number of very high profile cases and accompanying public outcry.

ETA: Some would say that Texans are as different from other Americans as Americans are from the British.

Dolcé

Visit site
I don't think it is necessarily about monetary value, what money could make you feel better about your precious animal being deliberately killed by some nutter who just feels that way out that day. This could be yard owners shooting your horse over a paltry sum, thugs finding your cat wandering in the street and tying fireworks to it or throwing it from a bridge, those who steal from gardens animals that are then used to train fighting dogs. If these people are found guilty then sentencing would take into account emotional value and pain caused to owners by deliberate acts against their pets. It would give the chance of victim impact statements, to some these pets are part of their family. I would be very surprised if American law was used as precedent in this country and it should be for deliberate acts not those caused by accident. Surely this should be given the chance to be debated rather than not signed and given no chance of debate.

CPT, for what it is worth I shared it on the 2 main Kit sites and despite over 3000 members, who are up in arms about the incident and screaming for action, they are clearly not all signing and sharing! It would seem many want to be heard screaming but actually don't give a toss and can't be bothered actually doing something to make a difference!

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

This is just to get parliament to DEBATE the issue, it is not a draft of an actual LAW. But if you don't think that it should actually even be debated, then fair enough, but it does surprise me.