Petition - think horse and rider

stacey_lou

Visit site
I have set up a petition on the government website called 'think horse and rider'

A petition to request an advert to be created to inform road users of how to approach us when out riding on the roads, this advert to be shown in rural counties.

An advert along the lines of the 'thin bike' advert set to inform us of motor cyclists which I felt was very strong.

I am waiting for it to be approved. I will post the link once live.

Any thoughts?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Fantastic: needs to encompass stuff like learner drivers & the Highway Code.

Also learner drivers need to be taught hand signals: am sure a lot of drivers think that when we're waving our arms to ask them to slow down, we're just saying "hi" rather than being in a potentially dangerous situation and politely asking approaching traffic to stop.

Good luck with this. Long overdue.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Great idea!

I'll sign it! Think a lot of drivers genuinely don't have any idea of how a horse might react and a section on 'horse sense' should definitely be included in theory tests.

stacey_lou

Visit site
Glad this has received the response I had hoped for. If requested the figures of deaths and accidents can be obtained from the BHS I just hope it will have an effect and get the go ahead. I will keep everyone posted.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Good idea, and perhaps a better video than the BHS one from a few years back.
Although it is a good idea, the main point would be "how much will it cost to do?" I'm afraid.

Charley657

Visit site
Excellent idea. I don't live in a rural area but I regularly see other riders out on the roads around where I live. I think it would be good for all drivers to be aware.

Nicnac

Visit site
Rather than doing something separate, isn't it better to support the BHS' new advert that they have trialled in Lanarkshire and want to fan out across the country. The target is that it will be plastered over buses.

There's a thread on here about it. It will be funded by BHS membership so make sure you are all members!

I know there aren't that many buses in rural areas, but there aren't many billboards either so buses are optimal vehicle for this type of advertising.

RCB8

Visit site
Where do I sign??? I've contacted BHS about this very issue. We desperately need to raise public awareness about how to pass us safely and what our rights are as road users!!! I get so fed up with ignorant drivers :mad:

Nic

Visit site
Rather than doing something separate, isn't it better to support the BHS' new advert that they have trialled in Lanarkshire and want to fan out across the country. The target is that it will be plastered over buses.

There's a thread on here about it. It will be funded by BHS membership so make sure you are all members!

I know there aren't that many buses in rural areas, but there aren't many billboards either so buses are optimal vehicle for this type of advertising.

Have seen nothing in South Lanarkshire :confused:

RCB8

Visit site
Sharing via facebook, friends and horse sites - let's hope we get lots of names. Almost to 70 now but we need 1000s. Could everyone please sign and share the link? :D

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Certainly a good idea, but TV adverts are so expensive that I doubt anyone will be rushing forward to do it.

I also think that a lot of problems caused on the roads are the responsibility of the horse rider. I think there should be a compulsory Riding and Road safety course for all riders. There are many teenagers out riding on the roads who do not drive, so they may not understand basic road awareness. I am shocked when I see riders on our narrow country lanes going round blind bends side by side. Or those who think it is safe to ride and smoke/ text/ etc at the same time.

hnmisty

Visit site
Signed.

However, several of my friends (I'm 24) get annoyed by people who take seemingly totally unsuitable horses out on the road eg ones that go nuts at any or everything. I always reassured them that I only take things out on the road that are well behaved. A lady in my department at work has a mare who is now retired. She will tell you how she could never stop at traffic lights/road junctions are the mare would refuse to. So she'd cross straight over and hope all was clear. From other stories she's told, I wouldn't have taken that pony out on the roads!

I think even "please pass wide and slow" would help. I've been asked before how you pass a horse in a car. Some people think they should drive past quick (not necessarily mega speed, but not slowing down much) as the horse would prefer it if the car is gone quickly. If you're lucky, you get one question on passing horse riders in the theory part of your driving test, and that's it for how to pass a horse on the road!