Petition to allow barefoot TBs to compete in RoR classes

TPO

Visit site
An older petition but it doesn't appear to have hit its target. I'm sure all of us who have barefoot ex racers can help.

https://secure.avaaz.org/community_...BnAVW-wAHtOM4aNp5WsuZKdutJ66_vV1zR-0uNG590csM

RoR rules below and the rule 31.1 that horses must be shod all round in all ridden showing classes remains.

https://www.ror.org.uk/rules/rules-and-regulations

Article in H&H
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/riders-campaign-for-unshod-showing-708587

RoRs reason makes no excuse as standard shoes have less grip than a barefoot hoof. If they insisted on studding that would make slightly more sense but as it stands its nonsense.

Leandy

Visit site
What a bizarre rule! I haven't heard of it for any other competitive purpose. Does it exist in other showing association rules? I would not have thought to look and I used to show in my youth although not now.

Reactions: TPO
Visit site
What a bizarre rule! I haven't heard of it for any other competitive purpose. Does it exist in other showing association rules? I would not have thought to look and I used to show in my youth although not now.

Yes it is a rule for one Hunter society too.

It's a daft rule and one that means I won't ever show in RoR ridden classes again. Gray wore front shoes when showing but not hinds and he was perfectly happy doing that. He doesn't wear shoes at all now.

Reactions: Kat

nikkimariet

Visit site
It’s part of the reason I never bothered showing Fig. They don’t just have to be shod, they have to be traditionally shod too. So his plastic heart bars weren’t even good enough!

Reacher

Visit site
Correctional shoeing would suggest or highlight a confirmation fault or hide a lameness if wearing normal shoes. It is the same for all showing classes - if shod they must be traditional shaped shoes made from steel, lightweight steel or aluminium.
I can see your point but someone might want to use plastic shoes for other reasons like not wanting the peripheral loading that traditional shoes cause.

The irony is there will be plenty of traditionally shod horses in showing classes with rubbish feet and it won’t affect their scoring

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Correctional shoeing would suggest or highlight a confirmation fault or hide a lameness if wearing normal shoes. It is the same for all showing classes - if shod they must be traditional shaped shoes made from steel, lightweight steel or aluminium.

Sadly, as of course it's much better known now that regular "rim" shoes also hide all sorts of issues.

Reactions: TPO