petplan q

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
They took a few weeks with me and were absolutely horrific to deal with and refused to pay out when they should have... I would chase to get things moving, also ask your vet as they also contacted my vets before they contacted me a couple of times.

Good luck, I hope they act more like their reputation with you!

Last edited:

PorkChop

Visit site
I recently made a claim through them, it was over the Christmas period so I did expect it to take a bit longer tbh.

I think it was a couple of weeks from them having all the documents back, maybe three, there were no problems with the claim.

I have to say that anytime I have spoken to them they have been very professional and helpful.

I have another horse insured with Amtrust who are really, really good, but very happy with the service so far from Petplan.

teddypops

Visit site
A week to 10 days usually but if you haven't heard from them, give them a call. My last claim was delayed as they were waiting for more info from the vets. As soon as they got it, they paid.

dixie

Visit site
Never had problems with Pet Plan.
Current claim took a few weeks I think as they were waiting for horse history from vet, who said they had already sent it. Once that was sorted was fairly quick in paying up.
They are very easy to talk to on the phone, give them a ring.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I've had a years worth of claims with them, I'm not going to lie, they were very slow (certainly didn't hit their 5 day SLA that they state on their website) but they didn't question a thing! paid everything that I claimed for.

I found that I would often have the money in my account before I had notifiction that they'd settled the invoice! you can also track your claim online, which for me was the best way of finding out what was happening.

conniegirl

Visit site
I've had many claims with them over the last 6 years, totalying over £15k!
the longest I have ever had to wait was 4 weeks!

Bertolie

Visit site
I have had several claims with Petplan and have never had to wait more than a couple of weeks to be notified that they had settled the claim with the vet. The last claim was when I had to have my gelding put to sleep and there was a hold up with the referral vets not sending the paperwork. Petplan informed me within the week that they were still waiting for information and I was able to chase this up and the claim was still paid within a few weeks.

fairyclare

Visit site
I currently have a claim going through with Petplan, I don't now why but I have a feeling they are going to be funny about it - don't ask me why, I just have this odd feeling....

They paid out on my old horses lameness issues very promptly, I was really impressed. I do hope its the same on this claim!
I alway pay the vet and claim the money back, payable to me - currently I am almost £1000 down so I really would appreciate my vet sending the form off ASAP!!

Elbie

Visit site
If its a straight forward claim and vets provide all the info they are supposed to it can be fairly quick. Just make sure you answer every question on the claim form and make sure vet does too!

Those are the main things that can I hold a claim up. If a question isn't answered or.paperwork is missing they can't do anything til they have the answer.

Also bear in mind they may have a high volume of claims to handle. Generally the claims get put into a queue in the order they are received. If they have to wait for something the claim.goes back in the queue when the response comes in.

You can always call to ask where you are in the queue and they should be able to give you a rough idea when they'll get to it.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Well I have eventually got my claim part settled but I reckon I will have to go to the Ombudsman now. I had been a loyal customer, but have had enough. They did used to have a good rep and I had great service from them years ago for a cat policy ... but I think it has gone downhill since they were bought out as I am hearing a lot of complaints about claims made recently.

Definitely looking to move my policies at renewal.

Elbie

Visit site
Well I have eventually got my claim part settled but I reckon I will have to go to the Ombudsman now. I had been a loyal customer, but have had enough. They did used to have a good rep and I had great service from them years ago for a cat policy ... but I think it has gone downhill since they were bought out as I am hearing a lot of complaints about claims made recently.

Definitely looking to move my policies at renewal.

Why will you have to go to ombudsman?

zigzag

Visit site
Not used them yet for the pony, but they paid the dogs claim in a few days of receiving it, in fact the vets received the money before they even told me it was settled

cornwallexracers

Visit site
I have a claim with them at the moment and they are being a nightmare to deal with. My horse was put to sleep on the 31st of October as he'd had repeated call outs and the vet discovered a tumour obstructing his bowel, so he was pts. We put in a claim for him being pts on the basis of an inoperable tumour (vet filled in claim form), petpan then wrote back saying they wouldn't pay out as according to his clinical history over the preceding 6 weeks he'd had several call outs for colic (vet says symptomatic of the tumour) which should have been disclosed as it would have been an exclusion on my policy. Vet then wrote back to them saying he was pts due to a tumour, colic was symptomatic of that, wasn't pts for colic and it complied with beva guidelines blah blah. Anyway last week I had a letter back saying that to pay out on a tumour they need a postmortem. Umm bit late for that now....so I will be taking it to the ombudsman. I previously had a horse pts due to colic which was 10 years ago and they paid out within weeks. I've been with petplan for 25+ years but the service this time around has been shocking and I will likely be going elsewhere when my policy is due for renewal.

whizzer

Visit site
Used them for years & never had any probs,always pay up quickly. My most recent claim was held up by a week or 2 while I got more paperwork sorted that they were requesting for a euthanasia claim,however once they had the stuff they wanted it was paid in 7 days.