Petrol Towing Vehicles

Kw_Bas

New User
Visit site
Hi All

I’ll soon be looking to upgrade my car so I can tow my highland pony out and about. My budget probably won’t stretch to the vehicles that can tow 3500kg so looking at the likes of VW Tiguan (TC- 2500kg), Volvo XC40 (2100kg) or the Ford Kuga (2200kg)

Having previously had issues with dpf in a diesel, I’m really nervous about getting a diesel so wondering if I can tow with a petrol engine what size of engine. Also looking for peoples towing experiences with cars mentioned above? I would be looking at a single lightweight trailer for pony so I can stay within towing limit.

Thanks very much.

m1stify

Visit site
Do you do much regular driving eg motorway to give the diesel a good run at a high rev? Usually dpf problems are from doing only short runs with diesels. Don’t know what petrol engine to recommend sorry but I guess just go for the highest towing capacity?

Kw_Bas

New User
Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for the reply. :)

Yes, I knew that about diesel engines but I think my previous car was broken before I got it. :confused: The yard I was at, at the time was a 40 mile round trip which I did twice a day including partial motorway driving. I know people who have diesels and do shorter journeys and their cars have had no issues with dpf….but I guess now because of last car and that ill be driving shorter distances more, I think I’d prefer a petrol engine….

Yeh I’d go for highest towing capacity but not sure how reliable vw tiguans are against the other two choices. I’ve looked at reviews and all say they are good at towing if diesel but not so much info re petrol alternatives.

dapple_grey

Visit site
Could I ask what dpf is?

I bought a 2.0 VW Tiguan after doing loads of research, as needed something economical for the commute but able to tow (capacity is 2.2 tonne). Sadly I'm looking at getting rid as it's been so unreliable! Broken down on me twice, in the garage every 2-3 months. It's 2014 plate but only 70k mileage and been serviced every year, so thought it'd last a lot longer than it has. I only ever tow 1x 15.1hh horse and an Ifor williams 505. I'm now looking at Ford Kugas

ETA: I've seen lots of people raving about their Tiguans so think I've just been unlucky!

TheMule

Visit site
You just have to get lucky with cars- I've been through many because I never have much money to spend, they've all suffered from various different issues.
I've towed very successfully with a Mitsubishi Outlander, a Ford Kuga and now a Ssangyong Korando

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Could I ask what dpf is?

Diesel particulate filter. For many vehicles it will only get cleaned out on a long journey with some high revs. Occasionally a diesel will still run its fan for a long time when you park up, because it's finishing a clean cycle (I think that's my understanding, even if the terms are inaccurate!).

dapple_grey

Visit site
Diesel particulate filter. For many vehicles it will only get cleaned out on a long journey with some high revs. Occasionally a diesel will still run its fan for a long time when you park up, because it's finishing a clean cycle (I think that's my understanding, even if the terms are inaccurate!).
Ah thank you. I've had a few problems with these myself. Doing 10 minute trips to the yard twice a day definitely doesn't help with a diesel engine!

Birker2020

Visit site
Do you do much regular driving eg motorway to give the diesel a good run at a high rev? Usually dpf problems are from doing only short runs with diesels. Don’t know what petrol engine to recommend sorry but I guess just go for the highest towing capacity?
Yes I agree, I had this issue with my Vauxhall Insignia SE Cdti and the turbo pipe split as a result of a big build up in the DPF. The mechanic flushed it through by reversing it inches from a wall and just blowing it through with the accelerator to the floor. He said I needed to do a journey of 20 miles up the motorway in high revs as this can help clear it on a regular basis. It was a nightmare, it went on the way to a wedding in Nottingham, we were crawling along on the roads at about 10mph max speed, on the way back we were crawling on inclines on the motorway at 40mph and managing to clear 80mph downhill, we passed the same lorry time and time again and they passed us time and time again (probably wondered what the hell we were doing) but were just so glad to get home!

I didn't know about that Sbloom (fan running) that's interesting as mine does this occasionally.

Sorry OP can't offer advice about petrol, I've always had diesel because I tow and it was always the preferred way of towing for some reason, something to do with torque and HP I believe.

m1stify

Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for the reply. :)

Yes, I knew that about diesel engines but I think my previous car was broken before I got it. :confused: The yard I was at, at the time was a 40 mile round trip which I did twice a day including partial motorway driving. I know people who have diesels and do shorter journeys and their cars have had no issues with dpf….but I guess now because of last car and that ill be driving shorter distances more, I think I’d prefer a petrol engine….

Yeh I’d go for highest towing capacity but not sure how reliable vw tiguans are against the other two choices. I’ve looked at reviews and all say they are good at towing if diesel but not so much info re petrol alternatives.
you just have to look up the towing capacity of e.g. petrol tiguans and go from there
the towing capacity will be different for the same car with a petrol vs diesel engine

petrol engines should be just as reliable as diesels - all depends on how often it was serviced etc like any 2nd hand car

for e.g. a mazda petrol engine is much more reliable than a mazda diesel - as the mazda diesels have a terrible reputation

YourValentine

Visit site
I've towed with a petrol car and didn't find it more expensive/ fuel intensive than a diesel.

I would swap my current automatic diesel for a manual petrol in a heartbeat.

Haven't driven any of the cars you mentioned though.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
I've probably had 15-20 diesel vehicles over the past 10 years (work and personal, currently own 7) and I've only had dpf issues with two, one was a Transit van and the other was a Mercedes E350 that had to be driven at 50mph plus for ten minutes to reset the DPF, the DPF will resent different ways for different vehicles. I mostly use my current personal diesels for taking the kids to school (3 miles away) and haven't had any DPF issues.

Kw_Bas

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the comments. Still don’t know whether to risk having a diesel car or not! I guess I’ll see what’s available and go from there! 🙂

SilverLinings

Visit site
I've had a few diesel 4wd cars for towing, mainly Landrovers. I've only had a problem once with the DPF when I couldn't drive for8wks post surgery, my sister drove the car around the village once a week but wasn't getting above 30mph so the filter couldn't clear. Once fixed I never had a problem again. I didn't used to drive on the motorway every week or even every fortnight, but I did get up to 40mph for at least 10mins of my 25min drive to work (have since moved and now use a motorway to commute).

It sounds as though you were unlucky OP, I can see why you are nervous about having the same problem. It think you need to research the cars you are looking at, there are independent sites like What Car? that compare makes/types for a start: