pg injection....

beth123

Visit site
dropped my mare off at oakham, and she seems to have been hiding her season, so weve just missed it. spoke to the vet and she'll have a few days then this hormone injection...... just wondering how succesfuln it is to take...:D

Alec Swan

Visit site
Have you left your mare at Oakham? The reason that I ask, is that in the past, I've tried being clever, and moved mares around, using different vets to carry out different aspects of the work, and it's never yet worked!! The idea was that it would save money!! In the long run, of course, it cost considerably more than it would have done, had I left the mares where they were!!

If you've left your mare there, they will have the facility to scan her, on a more regular basis, and monitor how her season is progressing. The other point is, that she will be within sight and or sound of an entire horse, which I believe to be important.

The good thing about a PG, is that, as with most drugs, it gives you an established window, in which to operate. Timing can then be predicted, and that really matters.

Good Luck!!

Alec.

beth123

Visit site
Have you left your mare at Oakham? The reason that I ask, is that in the past, I've tried being clever, and moved mares around, using different vets to carry out different aspects of the work, and it's never yet worked!! The idea was that it would save money!! In the long run, of course, it cost considerably more than it would have done, had I left the mares where they were!!

If you've left your mare there, they will have the facility to scan her, on a more regular basis, and monitor how her season is progressing. The other point is, that she will be within sight and or sound of an entire horse, which I believe to be important.

The good thing about a PG, is that, as with most drugs, it gives you an established window, in which to operate. Timing can then be predicted, and that really matters.

Good Luck!!

Alec.

yeah shes still there! okay, so it hasnt worked for you? arggh this is stressful!! haha

Tempi

Visit site
First time my mare had the PG injection, she took first time with frozen (aged 15) and foaled a gorgeous healthy colt (i still have him hes now 3). Second time (last year) she again had the PG injection (shes now 19) she didnt take first time but we dont know if it was the semen quality or not, then second time she had PG injection and went to a different stallion and used chilled semen and took straight away. She foaled a massive healthy filly last night.

I think it depends on the mare to be honest.

hmc

Visit site
My mare had PG injection last year and took on the second attempt with frozen semen. Waiting for our baby any day. It has always been really hard to tell when she is season. Good luck!!

Sportznight

Visit site
It depends on the mare! We PG mares a lot, especially at this time of year, as it's getting late! We have one mare who foaled on 17th March, she cycled properly at her foal heat, was teased along from 20 days, seen at 23 days, still had a CL at 30 days, was PG'd, then implanted, then PG'd again and is now on 7 days of regumate and will be PG'd on Saturday - having not got rid of the CL! I would stress that she is out of the ordinary though!! PG's do tend to work first time - otherwise we wouldn't bother with them!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Depends on your mares I think.
I had one mare that never held after a PG but always did if left to her own timing; I had ten foals from her; it took us three years to wake up to her idea that jabs for her were useless and I learnt to be patient.
Call me old fashioned if you like but I don't like to interrupt Mother Nature too much so it would be the one PG for me, if she didn't hold after that, I wouldn't want to jab her back in again, I think we can mess about too much with their systems, same as for women.

ETA just seen SN's post and have nothing against others using it as a tool, particularly business breeders who are on time restraints but I can afford to wait the mare out, I have nobody to answer to but myself and my mare.

Last edited:

Marchell

www.welshsporthorses.com
Getting late!!!! We are only now getting into the swing of AI ing mares here, Foals seem to be born earlier and earlier every year ! We routinely pg mares as long as they are around ten days post ovulating and have a receding CL ,we never jab without scanning first , it is still however no guarantee that the mare will conceive it is simply playing with the cycle so that time prediction is easier.

Last edited:

Sportznight

Visit site
Yes, getting late - we have 80 foals on the ground and only 4 to go and only a handful left to get in-foal. Some of those that have just foaled or due to (like last nights for instance) will be rested this year and started again early next year.

CL = Corpus luteum or yellow body. Basically the remnants of an un-fertillized previous ovulation. Until that has gone, they don't tend to cycle properly and will rarely stand to be covered or conceive.

P.S. we tend to leave as many as possible to come around naturally, though some do need help.

haras

Visit site
My mare was PG'ed into season last summer, covered naturally on that season and I'm now on foal watch :) It's fairly cheap too.

Good luck with your mare.

rachi0

Visit site
Yes, getting late - we have 80 foals on the ground and only 4 to go and only a handful left to get in-foal. Some of those that have just foaled or due to (like last nights for instance) will be rested this year and started again early next year.

CL = Corpus luteum or yellow body. Basically the remnants of an un-fertillized previous ovulation. Until that has gone, they don't tend to cycle properly and will rarely stand to be covered or conceive.

P.S. we tend to leave as many as possible to come around naturally, though some do need help.

A CL is not the remnants of an un-fertilized previous ovulation.... it is the remnants of an ovulation regardless of whether it was fertilized or not. If the egg has been fertilized the CL will then release Progesterone to maintain the pregnancy.