Phantom pregnancy?

Liz H

Visit site
You may or not remember I posted about the covering of my mare by a loose horse last year. Vet came in May, she was believed to be in foal. Although not overly pleased at the time ( to say the least) we got on with it and have been preparing and waiting, to the point I'd even chosen names.
She is huge, had bagged up/ gone flat/ bagged up on numerous occasions. We expected the arrival at any time from December.
No sign to date so I get the vet out. She has just told me Megan is empty.
I shouldn't feel so gutted, it wasn't planned, we had no reason to want a foal and every other practical reason you can think of.
We are absolutly devastated. The vet believes she was in foal at the first scan, lost it at some point, apparently we wouldn't have noticed (?) if it was early on and Megan just carried on showing.
Has anyone else ever heard of this, I'm having problems getting my head round it and the changes to her shape

Well done if you've got this far

lornaA

Visit site
Yes my mare did this several years ago now. She was deliberately covered, scanned in foal , re scanned in the October and all was well. She was due in the May and did everything you would expect, was very quite, got very large, we saw movement and she started bagging up but come the middle of June we got the vet out and he checked her and scanned her and no foal 😣 complete mystery she never showed any signs at anytime of being unwell or if having lost it and never came back in season or anything. Only thing we noticed that no one could explain was towards the end her pee was very white coloured and no one could give an explanation. She never had this before and never had it again.

Gorseyhorsey

Visit site
I had a mare do this years ago, went past her due date, looked massive, bagged up, even ran milk, vet came - def. in foal he says, until he did an internal exam - nothing!

Sorry for your disappointment.