Photographers at events... Confused.

MerryVB

Visit site
I am an aspiring event photography and slowly getting into it by using my local RC for free by no watermarks and the photos available on Facebook.

However I am very confused by the way amateurs or semi-professionals are going to events, taking photos and selling them online as well as the professional for the day. Surely this shouldn't occur?
When I take photos I don't put any water marks on them as I'm not a professional and though asked whether I could take photos haven't asked the right to sell them.

This seems to be a growing trade with the likes of Facebook and wondered if there are rules? I assumed as well these photographers are in a way a business if they are selling the photos so should they be proper registering themselves?

If I start to do some small events and start to sell photos I would like to do it properly!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
No it shouldn't occur and it's no wonder that some of the pros who have paid to be there get a bit twitchy with "amateur" togs that turn up with all the kit.

MerryVB

Visit site
I'm not surprised! Though I have found my local photographers help me take photos and encourage me! (Though doesn't help I look younger than I am 19 but look 15/16) but I do say I'm taking photos of my friend so as along not taking one of every competitor they are happy.

As been a volunteer at events I know they look out for them, but they only catch those who park themselves down with all the equipment and stay on one fence the whole time, so people are just moving around the course!

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I have only done a few events as 'official' photographer and really anyone wanting to take photographs to sell should have the organisers permission (which would generally only be given to one photographer. Policing it is really up to the organisers and how alert they are on the day. It would be easy to turn up with an slr, give out cards and upload a gallery after the day without drawing very much attention.

Twizzel

Visit site
No if anyone turned up at an event that I was covering and started taking photographs and handing out business cards I'd have a word with the event organiser and ask them to speak to the individual. Quite often they will hang around 1 particular ring and photograph every rider/class, rather than those who just hang around the ring to take photos of their friend etc.

MerryVB

Visit site
That what I thought! They get a big company in to take photos so they should be the sole provider of photos to buy!
I do tend to take photos of people I don't know before my friends to 'warm up' as such, but never take photos of every competitor. I do find with Facebook everyone knows someone who knows the rider etc, as I have never seen cards being handed out but just being tagged in Facebook photos!

Have to say was odd to see that these amateurs taking better photos than the professionals!