(PHOTOS) Got My beautiful new wild fell pony this morning

cambrica

Visit site
So cute!! I want to cuddle him! A great book to get would be 'No fear no force' By Sarah weston really great book for explainations and hints/tips of dealing with unhandled ponies!

Names:

Bear
Jake
Milo

I call my boy 'bear' and I do like Milo.
He is so sweet, I bet you can't wait to give him a big cuddle.
Maybe try using the 'long arm technique' a glove on the end of a long cane or lunging whip for touch and release.
Good luck and keep us updated

Ibblebibble

Visit site
what a sweetheart:D i think frankie rather suits him, in winter he'll be fuzzyfrankie and in summer flashyfrankie:cool:

sometimes the unhandled ones are so overwhelmed when you first start with them that they don't react as 'wild' as you expect, you get a head collar on no problem, but take it off and try again and off they go;)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
He's gorgeous! I'm so jealous! Love fell ponies. How about Shadow or Magic if you want something a little less human sounding. :) x

cambrica

Visit site
Ooh - was off doing something completely different then and two names hit me so Im back briefly.
Bonneville or Sonny. Random as my kids would say!

NativePonyLover

Visit site
He looks lovely, good luck with him!

I would ditto the suggestion of Sarah Weston's book and also it would be really beneficial to get a Recommended Associate out to help with him, as this early time IMHO will be the most important.

TallulahBright

Visit site
Gorgeous! Fells are splendid, had one as a girl/ teenager and she was the most wonderful, loyal, hardworking pony ever. Did everything and looked after me always. I hope you enjoys yours just as much. Got lump in m y throat now!:p

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
He'll be fine. We had a couple of Dartmoor Hill Ponies last year and they are amazing. Like your boy they'd had very little handling but within a week or so were very calm and interested in us whenever we went to the stable. They are just fantastic now, two of the most affectionate and gentle equines I've ever met. Just take everything at his pace and you'll get there before you know it :))

matt_m

Visit site
Oh he is lovely, such a baby face...I couldn't call him Frankie just because it would always remind me of that very annoying twerpy little celeb-wannabe !

I think stick with Frank or the earlier suggestion of Milo really suits him!

Parker79

Visit site
He is super cute!! I also like Franco or Frankie.

I also like

Rupert
Rufus
Denzel.

Good luck with him...take lots of photos!

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
It has to be Frank,to be frank. Its cool and it suits him.
I bought a KnabXAppy weanling. She was herded,halter broken and transported to me within half a day.
She was far from convinced by human company but I sat in the stable and nearly froze(it was November) reading a book and within 36 hours I was picking up feet and grooming. Just be there and be quiet and they won't be able to resist.
I look forward to updates on Frank!

HashRouge

Visit site
I prefer Franco to Frank - its a little less common and fits with his long name. He's beautiful!
Don't call him Franco, you'd be naming him after a right-wing Spanish dictator! If you haven't heard of him, try googling "Franco", it's the first thing that comes up.
I vote for Frank :D

staceyn

Visit site
Guys your not going to believe this but before we was grooming him all over and even took him for a walk in the field this horse is unreal he was only handled two days ago this mornin I couldnt get near him then by the end of the day we did all of this ! One in a million

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Don't call him Franco, you'd be naming him after a right-wing Spanish dictator! If you haven't heard of him, try googling "Franco", it's the first thing that comes up.
I vote for Frank :D

Whoops - and there was me thinking the only Franco out there was James Franco!

Enfys

Visit site
Guys your not going to believe this but before we was grooming him all over and even took him for a walk in the field this horse is unreal he was only handled two days ago this mornin I couldnt get near him then by the end of the day we did all of this ! One in a million

Oh I do, it wouldn't surprise me at all :) Lucky you.

Think about it in his terms, he has been pulled away from the only home he knows, he's had two days handling probably in a stable/barn which he isn't used to, he's had a halter put on, gone in a trailer/lorry and arrived somewhere completely alien. Poor lad doesn't know which way is up really at the moment.

Along you come, give him good things to eat, provide him with some sort of safety so he's decided that you are his new leader and best friend and he's taken the path of least resistance - don't be surprised if there is one step forwards, two back briefly at times though. Sometimes when this happens it is like a switch being flipped. I have an unhandled yearling in right now, he's a real "I am - I will - so there:p" sort of chap. He's been leading following another horse in, the only way he would move at all, yesterday he pulled away from me, then stood on his rope and couldn't get his brain around picking up his foot, so there he stood with his head held down, couldn't move ... I came along, shifted his weight so he could move and suddenly, after that he can't do enough for me.

Good luck and enjoy him. :)