PHOTOS - horse kick wound progress

dark_prince

Visit site
Hi all, just wanted to share these kind of gross, but still very interesting and amazing pictures with you!

My horse received a kick in the field from a large shod horse at the start of April. This will be the 5th week since it happened and I am so amazed by how quickly it has healed!

Just for extra information, he was lame for about the first 5 days or so and was having IV anti-biotics etc. He then went onto a short course of anti-biotics in his feed. It has been cleaned once a day with hibiscrub in warm water. I had been putting teramycin on for about the first 3 weeks, then every 3 days or so and now not at all. I have also been putting vaseline around the wound to keep it moist and healthy. At the start there was a lot of discharge so his whole lower leg was covered in vaseline to stop it getting sore. Vet has been out regularly to check progress as it was first thought there may be a fracture - though now seeing he is completely sound the vet thinks this is highly unlikely.

Anyway, here are the photos!

Day 1 - before hosing leg and whilst we waited for the vet. Lots of swelling to the leg and very lame though not too reluctant to put weight on it and I felt he was just feeling rather sorry for himself.

Day 3 - plenty of discharge running down the leg and still looking very gross.

Day 7 - First photo is before cleaning the wound, and the second is after the vet had cleaned it. Wound has begun to fill out from the bone outwards. Lots of pink and healthy flesh.

Day 26 - Not only does the flesh look much healthier, but the site has decreased in size. I never got any photos to show it, but the area protruded from his leg and there was a worry of proud flesh needing to be cut off, however it has shrunk nearly to a normal size now.

Just for an easier comparison in the size difference

We estimate another 2-3 weeks for full recovery as the vet is very happy with the healing of it.

Just thought people may find it interesting to see.

jj4y

Visit site
It's amazing how quickly they can heal. I hope it continues so well for you. My lad was kicked on boxing day whilst out hunting. His wound looked pretty similar but perhaps didn't open quite as wide. His was pretty much completely healed in 4-6 weeks with antibiotics, bathing with salt water and flamazine cream. I wish I'd taken pictures to show its progress, but at the time I wasn't really with it as I was so worried about whether he'd make it through it or not - he also had a hairline radial fracture. Thankfully he's completely sound again now and back in work.

dark_prince

Visit site
I was in hysterics on the first day - had a complete drama about it, though he's been completely sound since so that's my main relief.

Awful timing though as he was supposed to go to his new loan home the week after it happened. Luckily the new loaners are more than happy to wait and keep popping over to visit him.

jj4y - i'm assuming you had xrays? was this on first callout or was this further into the healing process? what about lameness?

jj4y

Visit site
I was in hysterics on the first day - had a complete drama about it, though he's been completely sound since so that's my main relief.

Awful timing though as he was supposed to go to his new loan home the week after it happened. Luckily the new loaners are more than happy to wait and keep popping over to visit him.

jj4y - i'm assuming you had xrays? was this on first callout or was this further into the healing process? what about lameness?

That's a relief that he's been sound since. Yes Bryan had 3 lots of x-rays. We had to get a emergency vet out boxing day as we were out of our area. Then our usual vet came out the following day and x-rayed as the wound went right to the bone. They thought it was chipped but there was nothing visible, then the hairline fracture was apparent on the next lot of x-rays which were about 10 days later. At the first vet visit he was ok in walk but horribly lame in trot. He then wasn't trotted up until after the all clear from the 3rd lot of xrays due the risk of the fracture completing.

sarahann1

Visit site

I'd probably have done the same thing! Though, this forum and the people like yourself who share pictures and stories like this have helped me realise just because it looks awful doesn't mean it's an awful prognosis.

dark_prince

Visit site
Will take another pic tomorrow as healing very nicely now. Vet has said no need to clean now unless he pulls the scabs off. Swelling down loads and size of the site much smaller!