Photos; what's this swelling?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF has slight swelling on the front of her RF fetlock. It feels firmish, but not bony and hasn't responded to a couple of days of bute. She's sound so I'm not particularly worried but I am intrigued.
She's 15, if that helps.

311034_10151611215786798_2042347399_n.jpg

555784_10151611215891798_1899430427_n.jpg

558126_10151611215906798_2086966928_n.jpg

Silverfire

Visit site
Could be from a knock or lying on hard ground. One of mine has a capped fetlock, she spooked going into my stocks one day and went down on the concrete floor on the front of her fetlocks and knees. Front of one her fetlocks has been capped since. I had another horse years ago who used to strike the door with his front leg and he got a capped fetlock doing that.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Could be from a knock or lying on hard ground. One of mine has a capped fetlock, she spooked going into my stocks one day and went down on the concrete floor on the front of her fetlocks and knees. Front of one her fetlocks has been capped since. I had another horse years ago who used to strike the door with his front leg and he got a capped fetlock doing that.

VERY interesting. I've seen similar on knees (SJers) and hocks, but never on fetlocks. Cool, thanks :)

Lolo

Visit site
Is it hard or is it pokeable (so if you prod it, it yields a bit)?

Reg has one on his LH (I think- lefts and rights not my forte!) fetlock, just like PF does. His comes from hitting a pole really hard. It causes no lameness or anything so we just ignore it. It comes and goes a bit. I think it's just his way of reminding us that he is a dedicated self-harmer, even as he mellows...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Is it hard or is it pokeable (so if you prod it, it yields a bit)?

Reg has one on his LH (I think- lefts and rights not my forte!) fetlock, just like PF does. His comes from hitting a pole really hard. It causes no lameness or anything so we just ignore it. It comes and goes a bit. I think it's just his way of reminding us that he is a dedicated self-harmer, even as he mellows...

Yes, it's pokeable. If yields a bit but is not as soft as normal swelling/ oedema. I'm inclined to believe it's a knock or as Silverfire suggests, a capped fetlock :)

Mrs B

Visit site
How long's it been there and has it changed at all in that time?

Maybe nothing like it, but I was riding a rather ... um ... green mare last summer and she ran my leg into the school fence - I had a resulting bump (about 2 inches wide, 3 long and half an inch proud) on my shin just below my kneecap which was firm-ish but stubbornly refused to disappear for nearly 3 months!

wyrdsister

Visit site
My girl R has a similar swelling on her right fore, it's been there for years and rarely causes any problems. One in a while she gets stiff in that fetlock but the vet's view is that it's an old soft tissue injury that plays up when she's having problems with the arthritis in her right hock and compensating for it. So, probably a knock or a capped fetlock, and I wouldn't worry much if she's sound, but keep half an eye on the other legs to make sure she isn't taking extra weight on that one to relieve another at any point!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
How long's it been there and has it changed at all in that time?

Maybe nothing like it, but I was riding a rather ... um ... green mare last summer and she ran my leg into the school fence - I had a resulting bump (about 2 inches wide, 3 long and half an inch proud) on my shin just below my kneecap which was firm-ish but stubbornly refused to disappear for nearly 3 months!

Noticed it on Monday (I don't go to the yard on Sundays), has been exactly the same since then.
If it were on me I expect I'd ignore it completely :p

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
My old lady has a lovely piece of lump round her pastern for about 5 years now. Only ever had a ptoblem with it when vet thought she had banged it in the field and came in hopping lame. Was sound next day! The vet before thought it was a tendon injury :O despite scans coming up completely clear!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
My girl R has a similar swelling on her right fore, it's been there for years and rarely causes any problems. One in a while she gets stiff in that fetlock but the vet's view is that it's an old soft tissue injury that plays up when she's having problems with the arthritis in her right hock and compensating for it. So, probably a knock or a capped fetlock, and I wouldn't worry much if she's sound, but keep half an eye on the other legs to make sure she isn't taking extra weight on that one to relieve another at any point!

Rode her today to see if I noticed any difference from on top... she was exactly the same. Will probably just crack on and, as you suggest, keep an eye on it.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
My old lady has a lovely piece of lump round her pastern for about 5 years now. Only ever had a ptoblem with it when vet thought she had banged it in the field and came in hopping lame. Was sound next day! The vet before thought it was a tendon injury :O despite scans coming up completely clear!

PF has only ever been lame due to hoof abscesses or splints. Tough old bird for an OTT TB :)

putasocinit

Visit site
Was she lame before you gave her bute, or was the bute just for inflamation, could be from a knock, or just changes to her joints from wear and tear, if cold and not sore i wouldnt worry, could cold hose and bandage at night, if hot then get xrays only way to see what it really is.

Tnavas

Visit site
Have a very careful look for a tiny cut or puncture wound you may find something very small that is a little inflamed.

In the meantime see if a cold hose and some work and reduces the swelling. If she is sound I'd not be too worried but would warm wet poultice overnight and see if anything comes out. If it does show something then if tetanus injections are not up to date I'de get vet in to at least inject to protect her from tetanus.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Was she lame before you gave her bute, or was the bute just for inflamation, could be from a knock, or just changes to her joints from wear and tear, if cold and not sore i wouldnt worry, could cold hose and bandage at night, if hot then get xrays only way to see what it really is.

She has always been sound. The bute was for inflammation. No chance of keeping bandages on her overnight as she lives out :)