Photosensitivity or Mud Fever?

Bugly

Visit site
My horses drink from a stream running across the bottom of the field: with all this rain the slope down to it is a quagmire and for the past couple of weeks they have had really muddy legs.

I try to brush the mud off at night. My old retired hunter gets the odd patch of mud fever in the winter...but nothing exciting. Last Sunday his pasterns and heel bulbs on his back legs (white skin) had blistered up just like mud fever.

I have been treating it as mud fever (spraying with iodine and covering with Sudocreme) but there is a little change after 5 days now and i'm wondering if its a case of photosensitivity rather than mud fever.

Does anyone know what the symptoms are and best method of treatment?

I know Flamazine is good but can you buy it over the counter from the vets or do you need a prescription?

sykokat

Visit site
Photosensitivity usually occurs on pink skin. It could be mud fever or also could be mites. If it is mites then frontline does a good job. Udder cream is a good barrier to put onto the skin to help prevent mud fever.

Magicmadge

Visit site
Flamazine is prescription, but my vets price matched the internet price saving me £20. It is fantastic stuff and worth the money. As other post says, could be harvest mites at this time of year. Mine have started with a few scabs and i got frontline spray, again a prescription product, but i got it online 500ml spray Pm me if you need a link.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
It's probably mud fever hun. Does he have any more white hair/pink skin on his body, eg face? If it was photosensitivity, it would also show on these areas. If he IS sore and scabby in other areas, might be worth further investigation and blood tests for liver function.

Bugly

Visit site
Hi sorry I have not replied- been away!

Yes Henry has a pink nose and there is nothing on his face....I was reading my veterinary book last night and it was saying that it usually comes up on the face first.

the scabs are only on his back pasterns....

Oh and boxoffrogs- this is your old friend Henry horse who you so kindly helped me out with eye advice a few summers ago!

Might try some Silvercream as I'm a huge fan of Silver Spray for my own personal use- genius stuff!