Phrases that get up your nose?

Eggshells

Visit site
I was having a ponder today - what horse related phrases really get up peoples noses?

The one that causes the red mist to descend for me is bridle lame, as in 'oh, he's absolutely fine really, he's just bridle lame' used to describe a horse being ridden round on 3 legs. :mad:

What are other peoples?

D66

Visit site
"One not to be missed".
Well I really wanted a jumping pony, but as I can't miss this one I'll buy your traditional maxi-cob. Doesn't say anything about the animal except that the current owner is keen to get rid of it.

Elsiecat

Visit site
You say that red-1 but in my few experiences of selling horses, they've always done something entirely out of character. I've HAD to utter those words. And luckily I've been believed and the horses haven't missed out on lovely homes because of it!

My peeve is 'leg in each corner'. Well. Really? My horses legs are all along one side.

mirage

Visit site
:DA lady at PC was watching my youngest canter knobberpony around at a rally and was asking about her.I was singing her praises,saying I knew her inside out after nearly 3 years,when she put in the most enormous buck.

I emitted a very loud 'OHHH!' followed by 'she's never done that before!' It was true,she never had.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
*cringing* Can the pelvis being out comment be explained please!
Every back person I've ever had has apparently put my horses pelvis back in. Are they taking the p?
-I feel embarrassed to have asked that!

I had to say "oh he's never done that before" once and it was bloody true! Someone viewing my horse to loan asked if he had any vices to which I honestly replied he weaves a bit for him to start chewing madly on the post and rail!

Smitty

Visit site
I'm on a DIY yard so less phrases, more a series of words:

Poo picking
Spooked/spook
poo picking
Bronc (generally describing a small buck)
Poo picking
Bolt (generally describing an increase of pace for 20 yards or so).
Poo picking
Pheasant/deer/squirrel. On an almost daily basis somebody will come back from a hack having encountered one of these, causing the horse to spook and if they are unlucky it may also bronc or bolt. One horse even did a mini bolt but I'm not sure what that entails.

Eggshells

Visit site
For me the pelvis thing comes across as a stock phrase given to owners. 3 or 4 horses on the yard have had different physios out recently and most of them have come back with a 'pelvis was out of alignment' comment - mine included. Putting it back appeared to involve running shoulder first into my poor lads bum, all I can say is I hope it WAS out of alignment, because if it wasn't before, it would have been after!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Any phrases that people use to describe how they ride a horse and you listen and think wow, they must be really good. Then they get on and ride like a sack of spanners. And I think to myself I really should learn some positive horsey lingo instead of explaining in my Yorkshire fashion. But then instead of saying how I had one fence down I'd have to give a blow by blow account of each stride and moment leading up to the momentous pole down. I think I'd actually rather safe my breath!

khalswitz

Visit site
Yes, the phrase 'out of alignment' doesn't actually make sense, but the idea is sound - like when you get a crick in your neck, and stretching round past the point of pain short and sharp helps release it. I've seen horses look totally different after having their pelvises 'put in', and whilst I don't agree with the term, I agree with the practice. My own horse is one, and I was a total cynic until I saw the difference an osteo made.

Also being bridle lame is a real thing - but it's a rider fault not an actual lameness.

Last edited:

treacle_beastie

Visit site
For me the pelvis thing comes across as a stock phrase given to owners. 3 or 4 horses on the yard have had different physios out recently and most of them have come back with a 'pelvis was out of alignment' comment - mine included. Putting it back appeared to involve running shoulder first into my poor lads bum, all I can say is I hope it WAS out of alignment, because if it wasn't before, it would have been after!

I know my pelvis is out of alignment..you can see one hip is a good inch or so higher than the otger side and if I go to physio they badically do that ramming shoulder into buttock type movement and I walk away level...it takes a few sessions for my muscles tendons and ligamenrs to maintain the new and correct position but it always becomes wonky over time. I really should get it realigned as it gives me sciatica and makes my ankle hurt as it affects my fait.This is what I understand it means but I dont understand how so many horses pelvises end up like this. Mine was because I sledged into a watertrough!

Greylegs

Visit site
Bomb proof when describing a quiet horse. I'm certain that if the poor thing ever did I encounter a bomb it would react pretty violently however quiet it is normally.

Beausmate

Visit site
First to see will buy....especially on horses that have been for sale for months :-/

My filly was up for sale for months. I had a couple of timewasters who didn't bother to turn up, the one person who actually came to see her, had her looked at by a friend (second opinion), vetted and paid for within a week. They offered more than my lowest price and have provided her with an excellent home. :cool:

The one that bugs me a bit is the 'HUGE potential!' usually used to describe a horse of at least twelve.

Every other horse for sale seems to be a 'Unique, once in a lifetime opportunity to own a fantastic, 200% bombproof, super talented, one in a million, potential in any sphere (really?) wonder horse.

:p

Fun Times

Visit site
"How many were in the class" when asked in response to you saying that you have been placed. Roughly translates to "my god, I always thought you were utterly hopeless so presumably you were the only competitor and had I bothered going you would have been one place lower."

TelH

Visit site
I hate the word ponio too and poneeeeeeeeee. Also when you see someone advertising a really cheap horse (usually a v.poor quality gypsy cob colt...) and they say something along the lines of I rescued it 4 weeks ago but can't give it the time it needs. To me the word rescuing means securing the horse's future, not trying to sell it on to the first person who will give you a few ££ for it.

Batgirl

Visit site
'On the bit' when used to describe a horse showing an outline due to sawing on the mouth or any other horrendous reasons, GRRRRR

'Scopey jump' usually meaning it's put in a few rockets!