Phrases that get up your nose?

slumdog

Visit site
'On the bit' when used to describe a horse showing an outline due to sawing on the mouth or any other horrendous reasons, GRRRRR

'Scopey jump' usually meaning it's put in a few rockets!

'Scopey jump' including picture usually means 3 minutes before the photo was taken they jumped the same oxer from the wrong direction lol

I call all mine ponies *hides*

My pet hates are "HUP!!"
And "GOOD BOYYYYYY" followed by a hearty pat (whack)

Also "jumps 1.30 tracks with easy" photo shows rather unfit horse falling over 2ft3.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
People who describe their horses as "quirky" all the time. As if they're trying to make out they're a great rider when in fact they're distinctly average. And when they have had a number of horses and they describe them all as "quirky" I'm so tempted to say "in that case, have you taken a long hard look at your own riding?"

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Bomb proof when describing a quiet horse. I'm certain that if the poor thing ever did I encounter a bomb it would react pretty violently however quiet it is normally.

Actually I've had several 'bombproof' horses who haven't turned a hair with fireworks going off all around them, so I think I could use the word quite accurately. My pet hate is 'on the bit' when what the rider means is I've got a very firm hold of my horse's mouth and its nose is tucked in but I've completely forgotten to use my legs so its back end is in the next county.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I've had horses that weren't novice rides. There was nothing 'naughty' about them. A novice would simply be overhorsed on them.

I mean in adverts, often when it says that it is for a reason, and often that reason is because it does something unwanted. Not saying every not for novice horse is naughty, just my observation of adverts and horses I've been to see.

ZondaR

Visit site
Pulling like a train.

Trains slow down and stop as soon as the brakes are applied, they don't keep going and ignore the driver.

It also sounds as though it is bad grammar.

hnmisty

Visit site
"He's difficult"...about the horse I'd never seen put a foot wrong.

People who always have to make out something scary/dangerous happened during their ride to show how brave they are...funny how I never had anything very dramatic happen whenever I rode out with them...

My mum hates "first to see will buy".

nervous nelly

Visit site
Potential to go far in the right hands when the horse is 16 and people who constantly tell you how difficult the horse is it's bolted bronced etc when it blatantly hasn't just so they seem a better rider

Cowpony

Visit site
"Get him in an outline"....erm, the horse already has an outline. It may not be the shape you want, but it's still an outline.

cambrica

Visit site
I don't think any of them bother me that much.
The only word I liken to running my nails down a blackboard is the American word for lunging or lunge -to longe! I find that really grates me! Why? No idea.

daughter's groom

Visit site
Vet at our local equine hospital said that if your horse's pelvis was out, it would take a darn sight more than a one off massage session to put it right and not to be taken in by people who say that is what they've done. Comments invited!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Flashy paces/flashy horse - to me it usually means something that goes around head up/tail up looking very whizzy, but not working correctly.

And then when people say, oh but your horse is so easy. Yes because I train them properly and that's why they are well schooled and do what I ask them to. :/

khalswitz

Visit site
Vet at our local equine hospital said that if your horse's pelvis was out, it would take a darn sight more than a one off massage session to put it right and not to be taken in by people who say that is what they've done. Comments invited!

I would agree. Chiro/osteo/Physio/ masseur is dealing with ligament or deep muscle strain around a joint rather than physically manipulating the pelvis.

Tobiano

Visit site
I very much dislike the phrase 'dope on a rope' as I think it is very disrespectful to the horse and it is much more likely that it is the owner who is the dope!

The misuse of the term 'natural horsemanship' also grates, as it seems to apply to anything from wacky new age mysticism to sensible humane methods.

But then I am a bit of a grumpy old bag.

cabrach

Visit site
" Stunning looks " and " perfect in every way " !! They all have a fault. If I phone up about a horse for sale, I'll often ask what his/her worst fault is. There's usually silence at the other end, while they weight it up !!

EffyCorsten

Visit site
"Pops a Jump" that's annoying
I hate the term "horse whispering" it's always none horsey people that ask do you do horse whispering?
Also "doing Parelli" used to describe any form of desensitization etc.
Shying annoys me too

Most adverts on the likes of preloved and Dragon driving because they are full of annoying over used phrases that mean bog all!

I hate natural horsemanship simply because nothing you do with them is natural you are a predator dominating horses. horsemanship is common sense not a brand!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Not a phrase as such but I do hate people saying their horse is a 'b*tch'. Just think it's horrible :(

Also hate the term 'cold backed' as the whole idea is just a piece of nonsense!

Not a fan of 'breaking in' either!