Physio Good results stories please

pistolpete

Visit site
My horse was treated with physio under sedation in the summer long story short, he was very ill after it although most probably coincidentally.
Vet has prescribed it again as he has a tight area just behind the saddle on the right. Please tell me some good outcomes of deep physio under sedation. Happy to have it again but can't help being worried.

oldywoldy

Visit site
I do not agree with ANY manipulation under sedation. You have no pain response from the horse which to me can tell you quite a lot. Any good chiropractor or osteo would never treat a horse like this if they are concerned with what they find wrong with the horse they might suggest further investigation ie X-rays or scans or bone scans or even an mri to try to pinpoint the problem but the damage that can be done by the manipulation under sedation can be irrepairable.

Chocy

Visit site
1st question would be why is it getting done underline sedation? Surely you would want 2 see the horses response 2 what was getting done so you can gauge if horse finding it beneficial & relaxing with it or if its in a lot of pain & need it done slower/less pressure etc

applecart14

Visit site
My horse was treated with physio under sedation in the summer long story short, he was very ill after it although most probably coincidentally.
Vet has prescribed it again as he has a tight area just behind the saddle on the right. Please tell me some good outcomes of deep physio under sedation. Happy to have it again but can't help being worried.

You want a good result physio story - my friend is a physio. This is a dog rather than a horse but I will tell you anyway. She worked on a dog whose back legs were paralysed and she just dragged them behind her. It was touch and go if the dog would survive as it had a ruptured disc and the vet said that an operation was out of the question. The dog was put on strong pain killers and nature took its course.

Following a number of physio sessions incorporated by my friend which included swimming in the owners bath (dog is a daschund so small), and moving the limbs to build up muscle tone and limited exercise which was gradually increased the dog is doing exceptionally well and trots around the yard without a care. The only evidence is that it moves one of its back legs a little oddly, but you would really have to look hard to see any evidence of this.

Done right physio is an amazing thing. The dog was very lucky, my friend had been on a number of canine phyiso training courses and also some rehab courses using swim pools for canines and equines and new what she was doing.

It is most probably a coincidence that your horse reacted like he did, and may have got cast or something after the physio had come out, you never know. Please don't let what happened to your horse following the physios visit put you off having her again. If a physio is good they really can work miracles! :)

pistolpete

Visit site
Thanks for replies, I am only going by vet's recommendation that he has sedation for it. They do something called H wave which releases tension around the spine. So worried he will react badly.

Montmorency

Visit site
Thanks for replies, I am only going by vet's recommendation that he has sedation for it. They do something called H wave which releases tension around the spine. So worried he will react badly.

My horses have both had h-wave treatment. They are both fine with it. If your horse is very tight, the physio will (or should!) start it off at a low setting and then gradually increase it as the muscles loosen up. Hope this reassures you.

What I will say is, as with everything, not all physios are the same. I had tried a few over the years and never really believed in them. However, the one I have now is really good. And she doesn't treat if it's not necessary.

TheVetPhysio

New User
Visit site
Hi there,
I don't think you need to worried about treating under sedation. It is common practice for many physios and osteos and they have brilliant results. Principally, it helps to adjust the horse whilst the muscles are relaxed, allowing them to return to status quo. This then allows the bones to adjust to their correct position and the correct muscles can be used to support the horses skeleton.

H wave has also had some great results and again is commonly used when treating.

Don't be worried! It's a very normal thing to have done!

happy_talk

Visit site
ditto thevetphysio.

My horse was diagnosed with bone spavin, she had physio alongside medical treatment. The first session she had identified very tight tense muscles in rump (to be expected really). We first tried to treat her with no sedation, but she was uncomfortable and moving around the stable. She was mildly sedated and the physio treated her. She had a much better and productive session. I guess the sedation also helps to relax tight muscles so they can be truly released. The proof was in the pudding. Her next session 5 wks later there was huge improvement and with the same treatment needed no sedation. She hasn't needed sedation for any further treatment, but if she did I wouldn't hesistate.
The physio was working along side the vet and the cause for the muscular pain was known.

hihosilver

Visit site
I am not that convinced, My mare ( See prognosis of neck injury) had physio for it and was sedated. It seemed to work initially but then it aggravated the injury...My vet did warn me he said sometimes physio works or it has the opposite affect and makes injuries worse. I thinks as well you have to be seen to try all the options for insurance companies. My mare is now at grass letting nature take its cause and fingers crossed she will be ok,:D:D:D

Nats

Visit site
My pony had two physio treatments under sedation for back pain which developed after a period of box rest. Both involved H-wave and manipulation. I was initially sceptical but I do think the treatment was beneficial. I was told that the sedation allows a much 'deeper' treament which is sometimes necessary if the problem is chronic, because the horse can develop incorrect posture/movement patterns to guard the sore area making it difficult to treat properly without the sedation. I should add that my vet was very particular about which physio she would allow to treat the pony, I suspect much more so than with a normal treatment, so if you're unsure about having the same person again perhaps you could ask your vet to recommend someone else?

happy_talk

Visit site
i think physio (from qualified person) would be beneficial if the underlying cause has been addressed. I have seen "routine" back treatments done and a sound horse has subsequently become lame. I don;t think any harm was done by the treatment, just that the horse had developed a "good" coping mechanism and wasn't lame (although I imagine was still in pain/discomfort). Releasing the muscles that were holding the horse together undercovered to the physical discomfort to be visible - whether that is good or bad depends on your view I guess.

PS - the physio treatment my horse has had has been brilliant. Her muscle development has improved and the release of tension (along with treating the bone spavin) has allowed to be able to move through her whole body again. I don;t think this could have been achieved with medical treatment of bone spavin alone. The muscles were chronically tight and needed release and stimulation.