physio or chiropractor - whats the difference (for humans not horsey)

djlynwood

Visit site
Im having some slight issues with my back and shoulders. I dont feel my posture is right and could do with some re-aligning so to say.

I do pilates and find that this helps a lot but think I need a bit more of something else but Im not sure what type of practitioner to see.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Physio just does muscles whilst a chiro/osteo does muscles and also will be able to manipulate and bones/verterbrae etc out of alignment. Personally for me chiro/osteo every time. Infact put back out this morning and off to my chiro tomorrow!

Silverspring

Visit site
You can see a physio on the NHS
smile.gif
the pyhsio treats injuries by massage and exercise.

A Chiropractor will treat an issue by manipulation of the skeletal system, this is known as an alternative therapy and I don't hink it's recognised by the NHS.

A Osteopath works on both the muscles and the bones and all the bits on between, again it's an alternative therapy and I'm not sure it's recognised by the NHS.

Then again accupunture isn't recognised by the NHS and people have been using that for thousands of years!

I go to a (NHS) physio and find it very helpful for my neck and shoulder.

_April_

Visit site
I have had a sore back for ages and have just booked a series of appointments with an Osteopath.

Had my first one on Tuesday and honestly it feels so much better already, I can't wait til tonights session.

My diagnosis is a problem with my sacroiliac area which has caused muscle spasms all down my left hand side (and I wonder why Tara is poorer on her left rein
smirk.gif
)

It's £30 an appointment for mine. However I have to cancel my flat lessons whilst being treated so just trying to use some of those funds.

It IS expensive but then it's our backs - we wouldn't balk at paying if it was for the horses lol.

Marchtime

Visit site
I see a sports physio for my shoulder and back issues and find it the most helpful. In the past I've seen chiropractors but found the experiences painful and unhelpful. The great thing about my sports therapist is she knows I won't stop riding. My chiropractor and doctor both told me to take six months off riding but with my physio's help this hasn't been necessary.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
See now I don't think £30 is expensive to be honest having had one chiro that charged me £65!!!!!!!!!!!

My current chiro is very good and its only £22 a sessions I think it is. My back is quite good in that once back in position it stays there and one session is normally enough to get me right again combined with exercises to strengthen the muscles. I now see her 2 or 3 times a year when either back goes like today or I feel the warning twinges!

My problem is also my sacroiliac joint and last time I had issues a friend who is an oesteo treated me and in her own words I had done 'somthing very very strange' to my pelvis
smirk.gif
Apparently both sacroiliac joints were twisted in different directions and they join to your sacrum (triangular bone at base of spine!) and that was also twisted. Lets just say instant relief when put back where it should be!!!!

As said you can see a physio on the NHS but if it is a skeletal problem (highly likely) this will only help with symptoms not the cause. In my opinion physios are far better at treating people who have muscle weakness etc caused by broken bones etc

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
[ QUOTE ]
I see a sports physio for my shoulder and back issues and find it the most helpful. In the past I've seen chiropractors but found the experiences painful and unhelpful. The great thing about my sports therapist is she knows I won't stop riding. My chiropractor and doctor both told me to take six months off riding but with my physio's help this hasn't been necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah see I thankfully have a horsey Chiro and she actually thinks riding (as long as you sit correctly etc) is very good for you as it helps with your core stability. She tells me to take it easy for 24hours if possible and to take it gently depending on the amount of work she does but she wouldn't dare tell me not to ride
smirk.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

_April_

Visit site
£65 OMG! Thats extortionate K.

I have applied for Physio on the NHS too but it takes so long to come through I'd rather just go to the Osteo.

I have to go twice this week and twice next week and then once a week for a few weeks thereafter.
I got that popping thing on Tuesday where they crack the spine - love it haha.

Wonder if horses are actually to blame for our wonky pelvises?!

My instructor says she doesn't know if it's a chicken or an egg situation with me and Tara - we are both rubbish on the left lol.
Hopefully once I get bent back into straight I can contine working on us both...

I am going to lunge her instead of school for the next few weeks to get her working without me hampering her and then I will go back to my lessons.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Ah I get the cracking thing on basically every visit! Doesn't bother me as its only the sound, doesn't hurt at all! And she normally has to 'click' my pelvis, shoulders and neck!!!!

She says as long as you aer riding straight riding is of great benefit. The problem is all horses and humans are naturally weaker on one side. If both you and Tara are weaker on the same side it will make it 10 times worse for you!

browbrow

Visit site
PS - You can get acupuncture on the NHS - they do use it alot - I go for accupunture (sp!) for my shin splints - its on the NHS - and I have been going for a fews years - it also works !!!
smile.gif

Silverspring

Visit site
shocked.gif
really?! My nurse friend said it was all tosh and wasn't offered (this was while my mare was standing with about 10 needles sticking out of her) maybe she just said that cos she doesn't agree with it. I wonder if I could get referred for that too
laugh.gif