Physiotherapist career

Visit site
Hi I need some advice, I want to become a vetaninary physiotherapist for horses and dogs, and I'm in my final year of secondary school, but I don't know how to become one, do I take A-levels or an equine course?? Do I have to become a human physio first?

As I've asked my careers officer and the only advice she can give is I need to be a doctor because no one needs a vetaniary physio therapist 😒😒😒😒😒

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

teapot

Visit site
A-levels and a vet physio degree, or human physio degree and a vet physio Master's degree to convert.

Definitely do your A-levels over an equine course, they'll open more doors and keep other doors open.

PorkChop

Visit site
My daughter is planning to do this.

She is doing highers in the required subjects, then the human physio degree and then the Vet physio degree.

We are in Scotland so Edinburgh Universty is her choice, which luckily is one of the best.

If you find out the University you want to go to, they have all the information on their websites. Also ask your Vet where they would recommend - your careers officer sounds pants!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yep, do the human physio course first. Physio used to be very hard to get into, don't mention horses at the interview!
If you are a human physio too, it does mean that you can earn a living from that without doing the horses. It is actually a very long training.

Miraculous

New User
Visit site
I had this same thing and am just in my last year of my human course after taking a few years break from studying after A levels and when the uni fees went up. I spent a LONG time weighing up the pros and cons and had offers for both human and animal courses.

This is what I found when I looked into it:
- Physiotherapy for animals is not a protected title like it is for humans, anyone can call themselves a vet physio. There are currently regulations being put forward trying to change this as some people are merely taking distance e-learning courses and then practicing. I don't know what the qualification specification will be should the law change on any protection to the title but they are trying to lobby for some protection.

- Most vet physios are self-employed and work can be hard to come by. Physio for people is in high demand so you should theoretically always have an income to fall back on with people if you do not get as much work as you hoped with animals. Note than most vets do not directly employ vet physios.

- all vet physios must work off vet referral or with veterinary approval. I spoke to a lot of vets from all different practices and all said they prefer to refer to physios who are also human qualified.

- Animals cannot talk! Surprisingly a lot of the techniques and problems in humans and animals are very similar. If you are experienced in dealing with something similar in humans who can provide verbal feedback it is much easier to replicate this in animals to achieve good results.

- For horses, a large number of problems are caused by the rider (e.g. not sitting straight in the saddle). If you are also able to correct the rider from a physio point of view then you should solve the problem rather than bodging the horse only for the rider to get back on and the same thing keep re-occuring!

- It is indeed a long study period to do 3 years full time for people and then animals on top but the animal courses for chartered human physios (Liverpool and Hartpury are the only ones ACPAT registered) are both masters level and part time thus meaning you can work as a human physio and earn money around doing your animal masters.

- You will find a lot of "vet physios" who have done a range of different courses, and I'm not meaning to undermine their practice or work, but with the huge array of different courses available straight into vet physio it is harder for people to determine what each person has studied. By undertaking an ACPAT (association of chartered physios in animal therapy) course you have to be a human physio first and have a certain criteria that you must study and meet before you can qualify as a vet physio and ACPAT are very good at trying to make it well known what their therapists study and what it is all about.

- In the horse world a lot of people work off word of mouth. If you already have a large network of people you know who would be happy to employ you to treat their animals then great but if not then it can be hard to find work.

Lots to think about and certainly not an easy decision. I didn't think I would enjoy the human side but I actually really love it.
If you do decide to go straight into animals, make sure to do it at degree level by a qualified provider to ensure you are well set up and prepared not least for running your own business in the field as well as treating a wide range of conditions.

Try and get some work experience with both human and animal physios in order to give you an idea of what to expect.

I'm applying for my animal physio masters next year to do alongside my work as a human physio :) don't regret the decision to do it humans first at all!

Good luck, if you would like any more info feel free to drop me a pm

Equi

Visit site
I think the best bet is to do a human physio one. A fella locally is a human and horse physio and he literally has work coming out his ears - people have him to do them and horse at same time.

Sheep

Visit site
I think the best bet is to do a human physio one. A fella locally is a human and horse physio and he literally has work coming out his ears - people have him to do them and horse at same time.

I think I know who you are referring to - way off topic (sorry OP!) but he was out to my horse one day and asked me if I minded an emergency case coming to my yard, and could he use my stable, as they were really desperate. I agreed and expected some poor unfortunate horse to appear. Once physio was done with my horse I went to walk horse off and turn out. Came back to my stable and was quite shocked to see a large man in the stable on a portable treatment table.. quickly excused myself and busied myself elsewhere!