Pic of my new share horse and a lovely session!

oldie48

Visit site
It was boiling hot this morning but I had a lovely time on Mr D. I feel so fortunate to be able to ride him. I spent the session getting to know him, under the watchful eye of his owner who knows him inside out. He's a real school master and although no longer young (21) he's a delight to ride. We did a lot of early work in walk but putting in lots of serpentines, circles and bits of easy lateral work to help his suppleness and encourage him to use his back end. He tends to drop his outside shoulder and use the outside of the arena to balance so we did lots of trot work on an inner track so I could get the feel of picking his shoulder up, which immediately improved his trot. I find his canter easier than the trot so as it was so darn hot we focused on the trot work and walk, lots of transitions between and within the paces. He has a tendency to curl up and I have a tendency to use too much hand so lots of soften, push to the bit and just leave him alone! This older boy is going to teach this old lady quite a lot. Just love him.kqCI_ahBfI9phuHAuK_1_lRCNf61glGAzKb4XJo_WNT0HJrYvxzg7fRC-Q-OKJ8KAKfZUY9zg7V_0q3fdvViOiq37TrR5p...jpg

oldie48

Visit site
What a lovely looking chap, hope you continue to enjoy him through the winter ?
Are you able to compete him too? X
Possibly, it would be great to do some veteran classes on him and BD once I get to know him better. Owner has been doing BD medium on him and he has quite a few points so I'm not sure what I can do and what I can't. I think I'm pretty much out of RC comps but it would be fun to do some pole work clinics etc with him. He was bred to event and was established at intermediate, did an AI and was all set to go advanced when he was injured. He did come back and start eventing but owners made the decision that he wouldn't go advanced and decided to focus on dressage to give him an easier life. I feel so excited to be back on board, he's 16.2 with a big deep chest but fairly short backed, plenty to sit on though and responsive but not silly forward. I feel like a school girl again!

oldie48

Visit site
He evented a good bit in my area
You obviously know him? I'm wondering where you are. He's a really lovely horse, I've known him since he was 5 and watched him event on many occasions but never thought I'd be riding him one day. he could be quite naughty when he was young and can still throw a decent spook if the mood takes him!

oldie48

Visit site
Thank you for all your good wishes. I rode him again yesterday and we had our first misunderstanding ie I messed up the aids and confused him! We had an offer of canter, a bit of medium then he took a bit of a hold and just did his own thing completely ignoring me. His owner laughed and said that is his "go to" if you mess up, she reckons he's giving you time to get yourself sorted out to ask properly!It's such joy to ride a horse that has always been ridden well and knows his job. I am sooooo lucky.