Pic WWYD?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to cooler days
Visit site
With this tail?!

This is my son's shitland x 11.2hh mare. We do child handler, lead rein and fun classes at local level but this tail is just a mess at the moment. I can't bear it and I'm useless at plaiting tails. Should I just let it grow out and hope that the bush effect goes away? I currently gel it and tail bandage but I can't look at it for much longer. I like my ponies to be neat!

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I would run a rake round it to shape the top, that should, if you do it carefully, enable you to get rid of the sticking out bits and have a tidier look, if it was mine it would probably be fully pulled and trimmed unless it is a registered native breed.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It's fine, let it grow down. Prior to showing damp it down and bandage it and it will look great.

Peregrine Falcon

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Sobbing now! I've got several NF's so used to embracing full tails but this one just pains me. I looked at it today and knew in my heart that I just had to let it grow out but it's going to be hard. :(

Last edited:

Fii

Visit site
Damp it down and put lots of long plaits in it, when it dries brush it and then put more pics on :D :D ;)

charli_

Visit site
I have the same kind of problem with my Welsh as he had bad sweet itch last summer. Since the problem has been sorted and his sweet itch lotion is applied daily during summer (carr day and martins)? and it helps to grow the tail more. I am having to wait for it to grow out....its just patience im afraid...

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont see what you can do with it - the pony is a native, so would look wrong plaited and would look quite silly if it were pulled or thinned. Just accept its how his tail is supposed to look!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
With this tail?!

This is my son's shitland x 11.2hh mare. We do child handler, lead rein and fun classes at local level but this tail is just a mess at the moment. I can't bear it and I'm useless at plaiting tails. Should I just let it grow out and hope that the bush effect goes away? I currently gel it and tail bandage but I can't look at it for much longer. I like my ponies to be neat!

can we see the rest of the pony with his glorious tail??

Dunlin

Visit site
I think that's a rather lovely tail. I would be happy to put some rollers in it and make it more voluminous!

In all seriousness though my friend has a Cob with a pineapple tail and she does use her round hairbrush and hairspray on it to get the spikey bits to sit in the rest of the tail when she needs to look half presentable. Just be very wary of using an aerosol around the dangerous end of a shetland (or any animal) as her boy leapt 12ft in the air like a Harrier Jump Jet when she first used the hairspray.

3OldPonies

Visit site
It's a lovely tail. I'd go for damping down and appluing a tail bandage at the top. Or the lots of long plaits idea and brushing out to make it look like a lovely wafty cloud of hair.

Peregrine Falcon

Visit site
can we see the rest of the pony with his glorious tail??

This is April taken about 6wks after we got her. William won the child handler class with her and then was eligible for the in-hand championship. He came reserve and got a lovely sash. It took me over 20 years of riding to get my first one! Pony has since lost 75kgs as she was too fat.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
This is April taken about 6wks after we got her. William won the child handler class with her and then was eligible for the in-hand championship. He came reserve and got a lovely sash. It took me over 20 years of riding to get my first one! Pony has since lost 75kgs as she was too fat.

what a gorgeous colour, leave tail to grow to floor i love the dapples