Pick a saddle, any saddle!

benz

Visit site
So at work I've been tasked with buying new saddles for the new arrivals, does anybody have any recommendations/avoids? Other horses are currently in solution saddles but just interested to hear if there's anything 'better' out there that I might want to look at although there's nothing really wrong with the solution saddles so no problem just to get more of the same. Looking for:

English style for hacking with a fairly deep seat, I like vsd types personally.

Good quality and workmanship and fitter to come out initially and at least every 6 months so a good after sales service too

No specific budget so if you enjoy spending other people's money it's your day :)

Horses are: round little coblet, round short backed friesian type (with driving pony shoulders), big strapping cobby thing (if he passes vetting). Any ideas?

BlackRider

Visit site
How about the Heather Moffatt Flexee - that can adjust as the horse changes shape, and they seem well put together,

Tern

Visit site
You have very much 3 horses that could be a problem to saddle.. :) Cobs may have no whither and friesian may simply be "difficult"

Native Pony Saddle Company
Sturgess Saddlery
Bates (These mark v. easily though)
Silhouette
Black Country Saddles

If I can think of anymore suitable for the wider horses then I will! I'm guessing Wintec are off the picture?

benz

Visit site
Thanks all, solution seems to be a popular choice :)

Flexee has been considered but I'm worried the owners will find the feel of it too odd.

Andrea hicks I've not heard of I will google thank you

Friesian type was recently ridden in a bates and apparently went well could well, it was one I was looking at :)

Again the others I've not heard of but will research

am I being snobby by saying no to a wintec? Our current saddles are super comfy, am a bit spoilt!

BSL

Visit site
Semi flex, Barrie Swain:) That is what I use. But I have to say my daughter has a wintec on her horse that fits like a dream for them both, and isn't that what it is all about? Comfort for horse and rider.:)

Last edited:

kez81

Visit site
Solution or Heather Moffett saddles. I find Heather' s Vogue fits big Friesian types really well and have FlexEEs as my every day saddles. Really comfy and easy to adjust as horse changes shape. I do love solutions too and both have excellent fitters and after sales.

kez81

Visit site
Oh and no its not snobby to say no wintecs, I hate them personally and would happily chuck them on bonfire!

LottieAdams

Visit site
Stubben saddles are good if you want something that will last, equipe saddles are absolutely beautiful and quite easy to get hold of second hand, i have one - so easy to look after and beautifully made, also, berney saddlers kilcullen make beautiful saddles, we bought one when we were over in ireland, made to measure brand new for under £900. The best part was we got to watch them make our saddles from scratch - amazing

benz

Visit site
Lots of shopping ideas thanks all!

I used to work at a trekking centre with wintecs and have bad memories of a sore and sweaty behind, oo-er! :D

BSL

Visit site
Oh and no its not snobby to say no wintecs, I hate them personally and would happily chuck them on bonfire!

But surely, better a Wintec that fits and the horse moves comfortably in, than an expensive alternative that doesn't? I have seen so many people with saddles that suit them because they have the "Name To Be Seen With" but don't fit the horse. To me that is a big no, no.

Spotsrock

Visit site
But surely, better a Wintec that fits and the horse moves comfortably in, than an expensive alternative that doesn't? I have seen so many people with saddles that suit them because they have the "Name To Be Seen With" but don't fit the horse. To me that is a big no, no.

True, if they fitted anything perfectly! The problem with treed saddles that fit anything is they tend to fit anything ok but not well.

OP have you looked at sensation by nickers? I won't use anything else, with a relatively local fitter you could get the after care you want

hippocobamus

Visit site
Being in a position to be able to buy more solution saddles is the sort of job I dream about! Lucky you - sounds like a great job, spending other peoples money on saddles!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I love my AH (Andrea Hicks) jumping saddle. She will design whatever you want. Proper cob saddles so mine fits all my cobs nicely. Used to be Native pony and cob saddles but name changed to avoid confusion with another company. I ride in mine daily. It's very comfy for me and the horse and I will be getting a dressage saddle this year hopefully.

holeymoley

Visit site
From the sorts you have described I would have to say either native pony saddle co , or ideal . Personally I would go for as straight a cut saddle as you can get that would suit your needs as they all have large shoulders!

3OldPonies

Visit site
I'm an Ideal fan as well.

But, rather than focusing on the make of saddle wouldn't it be better to get something that fits horse and rider and to hell with who makes it? I've always been taught to worry about the fit first, then the cost and then who made it. Obviously some makes are considered better than others, but that shouldn't make you rule out some just because the makers name isn't fashionable.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Heather Moffett, I have one its great. I have heard solutions are great. I am waiting for A fitting from Andrea Hicks saddles (used to be native saddles). I have had dealings with the Native saddle company( also know as Saddle exchange) and would not go back to them if they paid ME to take a saddle.

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
Nick dolman bespoke saddles (similar to barry swain). Fab for the horse.
Warning- i bought a new bates for my Friesian and it crippled him - as with wintec, they are not designed for wide types- even the wide versions! The tree is no good for them.
And i wouldn't put a stubben near a cob type.

godfreyy

Visit site
I have a GFS saddle on my Welsh D and a Falcon on my Irish Cob - both very very comfy and love doing everything in them! I find them both very supportiv as well!

I have a Wintec Dressage saddle on my youngster (Hanoverian x) due to changing shape as he grows, and suprisingly that is also quite comfy (though it's not my GFS or Falcon......)

mdfreeman37

Visit site
I'm currently using a Heather Moffett and love it :) We also have solution saddles for our other horses as my other half loves them as well. Solutions aren't cheap but if your lucky you can pick up one at reasonable price second hand and solution have been very helpful when we had questions as has heather moffett.

ponies4ever

Visit site
I LOVE my brand new kent and masters gp. I have a wierdly shaped cob who has enormous shoulder and is quite wide but still has wither. She has a mw one and fits beautifully.