Pick up and dog

Clodagh

Visit site
We are getting a new car - at last! We are getting a dual cab pick up with a hard top. Do any of you have one of these, and if so how do you transport your dog? Our dogs rarely go out in the car, but after a days shooting OH doesn't really want the lab in the cab. We thought maybe a cage/crate in the back? Any suggestions please.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Crate/cage/box should be fine, I prefer covered/plastic crates for travelling.
I know a couple of people who have made to measure plastic boxes to fit pick-ups.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I've a Nissan Navara 4 door pick-up (I hate the bloody thing). I've a K9 Transport box in the back, which with the central partition removed (they screw in), would be ideal for a labrador. If your "Hard-back" is from the manufacturer, then it will have a sealed back, which may make it unbearably hot in the summer. With an Ifor Williams back, even when parked, and out in the glare of the mid day sun, they remain cool.

Alec.

jenniaddams

Visit site
We also have a 4 door Nissan Navara pickup. It has a Snugtop with little windows which you can open. The dogs have the free run of the pickup bed with some old duvets and rugs to soften it up. That's two collies making use of that.

Clodagh

Visit site
Alec, why do you hate your Nissan? We haven't decided on which make/model yet so any feedback appreciated.
I said a plastic crate would be better than our old cage, if you leave your dogs in when they are wet/cold are they warm enough? (Winter use here).
I doubt Jenniadams that he will go for the whole back idea as he is anal about keeping it clean and dry, now you should see my car!!

ecrozier

Visit site
I had a Navara too - loved it, til I checked out the 'knackered Navara' website after hearing an ominous clonking noise.... Sold the bl**dy thing for less than 20% of what I paid for it as it needed a new engine. Not amused.
Anyway, I also just let dog have whole of back, there were sliding windows, and I could open the hatch at back and luckily he never tried to jump out!

Spudlet

Visit site
Henry has a plastic crate and seems warm enough, although after he's been beating I generally stick his fleece on anyway - being a spaniel he doesn't have a nice waterproof layer like the labs do, and with his hips being a bit dicky I prefer to make sure he's warm.

That said, I will be taking the back seats out of my car this weekend (Micra!) to give him more room as his current crate is a bit on the small side, and since I never carry passengers they are a waste of weight and fuel. I'll be putting a slightly larger wire crate in for him, once I get one.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I never really worry about the warmth of double coated dogs. I usually stick a fleece or towel in the bottom of the box but my dog has weekended in a box with no bed in winter (was travelling with a friend and did not want the delinquent to chew up the nice expensive padded mat so removed it!!) and he didn't freeze.
I would always use a box or cage just in case of accident/rear ending/the dog getting out past you anyway as it means the dog is a little more contained.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Is that TransK9 Alec? I looked at those, and went for an airline crate instead - the TransK9 ones really hold their value :eek:

Yeah they're the ones. A good company, an excellent and prompt service, and though expensive, they do, as you say, hold their value! My only question with cages in the back of open pick ups would be just how cold they would be, in winter and over a long distance.

Alec, why do you hate your Nissan? We haven't decided on which make/model yet so any feedback appreciated.

The list is extensive. On the plus side; They're quite good on motorways. They're quite a fast A road car.

On the negative side; They are hopeless things to park in tight shopping centre car parks.
They have an appalling turning circle.
They are hopeless off road. This is a major factor for me. They really are useless.
The clutch takes a bit of getting used to, as they'll stall at low revs. The don't splutter and cough to a standstill, they just die, and it's instant.
The clutch, if the vehicle is used for towing trailers, and specifically when reversing, will burn out in moments. You slip the clutch, at your peril.
The costs of repairs are spectacular! The above mentioned clutch, with the necessary viscous flywheel, is £1800. 2 front brake discs, with pads, in excess of £400. TWO TAIL LIGHT CLUSTERS, £393. I've yet to get over that one!! I was told that non genuine ones weren't available, but have since found that they are.

A self proclaimed expert, who probably does know what he's talking about, said that if you must go Japanese, then the Isuzu, who only make commercial trucks, are the ones to get. Me? I've a new(ish) Land Rover on order, when one can be found, and a car for high days and holidays (not that we have many)!

If you want 4x4, and you don't do journeys over 100 miles, then Land Rover still have no competition!

Alec.

Dry Rot

Visit site
If you want 4x4, and you don't do journeys over 100 miles, then Land Rover still have no competition!

Alec.

Get an Exmoor Trim seat before your back goes, like mine did. It's always been a bit dodgy but a 300 mile round trip over the hills in the standard LR seat had me crippled. Literally! (Weeks of physiotherapy and two MRI scans). Since I've changed the seat, life has been better but it is an adventure getting in and out and I risk more than life and limb!:eek:

Oh, and dog used to go into a travelling crate -- 4mm ply on 50mm x 25mm framing. Dead simple to make and even simpler if you have a band saw.

ecrozier

Visit site
Lol - I offloaded the Nissan (entirely agree re turning circle by the way!) and bought a landrover :) love it!!

Clodagh

Visit site
Landrovers are just to uncomfortable. We had a series 2 for years, it leaked, you froze and the wild gyrations with the steering wheel to keep it going in a straight line! OH was a terrierman and it was a brilliant car for getting across fields though. I am still haunted by the time his dog bolted a fox and went after it (years ago this), he ran after the dog and I had to do a 27 point turn on a lane to turn the landrover round.
Then we got a defender, much better but still uncomfortable.
Then a disco, which he loves, but it is 12 years old now and over the last year has cost a fortune in repairs so needs replacing.
We would love another car type 4 wd but the accountant says if we MUST have one then it has to be a 'van', hence the pick up. Not that I can see 6'4" son fitting in the back seats!
Thank you very much for your replies, I take on board what you say about Isuzu, how about Toyota? I used to work in a mining town in Australia and all the prospectors had Toyotas so I assume they are pretty reliable?

Jools2345

Visit site
most people i know who shoot and like the car clean make a wooden box (with grilled door)for the back and bolt it in as the solid sides stop the hair getting everywhere and they just take it out for the summer

Mince Pie

Visit site
I'd agree with Alec and go with Isuzu - extra bonus point for me was the option of 2WD which really reduced my diesel bill (I was getting 270 miles a week from £30) !

ETA: sorry can't help with original question as I had a double cab so dog was on the back seat which had waterproof covers on :)

Last edited:

Twizzel

Visit site
That must have been in the 1960s. I get about 340 miles, for about £90. :eek:

Alec.

We have a ford ranger single cab for the farm, OH uses it at the moment to get too and from his tractor (contracting planting spuds), as you say £90 gets him about 325-350 miles and this at some points in the planting season will last 5 days at a push eeeeeeek....

Clodagh

Visit site
Well nothing can be worse on fuel than the Disco! I have an old Vectra that does 50mpg so any distance trips are done in that.
OH likes the sound of Isuzu, and there is a dealer in Braintree so pretty close.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Ive got an Isuzu Rodeo, double cab with the lockable hardtop back with 2 windows in it. I normally throw a couple of old blankets in for the dogs. My spaniels arent worked but we use it to take them out and about, its also great for dirty horsey stuff, feed etc. I love it, it has the 2/4wd option which is a bonus for running around town.

Clodagh

Visit site
I quite fancy the Utah with heated leather seats - suspect I'll not be getting that though!!
Another vote ofr an Isuzu then, thanks MBC.

ecrozier

Visit site
I've also heard good things about the Isuzu, would def be the first one I would look at if I needed a combination to do road and dog/towing/4x4 work. Fortunately OH has a nice Jag estate he's about to upgrade to a BMW so anything over 30 miles is done in that! As the defender td5 is a little tiresome on road after a while!

burtie

Visit site
I have a truckman plastic hard top on the back of mine. Dog goes onside a large crate behind the wheel arch and lashed to the truckman top to prevent any movement. When parked I just open up the whole back, the lift lid is tinted so up also acts as a sun shade!

Clodagh

Visit site
OH went to the pub last night, got there and there was a brand new dual cab Isuzu in the car park. He went in and found out whos it was, turns out it was a nephew of a friend, he has had it a week. OH asked him what he thought of it and he handed his keys over and said to take it for a drive! OH liked it very much (car and gesture!).
That is village life for you!