Pickups for towing

Ruth17

Visit site
We're looking at replacing my trusty 06 isuzu rodeo this year. Nothing wrong with it just my husband wants a newer one that he can rely on a bit more when I'm out alone. I don't quite get it a it's never broken down on me but hey!

So I'm looking at an 18 plate onwards pickup.
Isuzu 1.9L
Isuzu 2.5L
L200
Ford ranger

I've heard mixed reviews of the isuzu 1.9L max, some say it's gutless up hills others disagree. I need something to tow an iw511 and 2 15.2 cobs so a combined weight of max 2200kg in summer!! Also in Wales so lots of hills.

Does anyone have any experience of these? I'd love to stick with isuzu, and preferably automatic but would consider manual for the right vehicle

Nudibranch

Visit site
We have the DMax but the 2.5. Plenty of capacity, we are Wales border and lots of hills here too. I've never towed with an automatic so can't comment on that.

We were planning to replace with a Ranger eventually but I've heard some negative things about the reliability of the newer models so need to do some more research there. I'd certainly buy another Isuzu. But not the Truckman canopies as they seem to leak, and the locks fail. Go for another brand there!

Patterdale

Visit site
I have the 2.5 Isuzu and love it but I think they all changed to 1.9 in 2017. Mine is a 17 but was one of the last 2.5 I thought.
It’s just had a new engine but has had a very hard paper round as a work vehicle, over 100k miles mainly towing.

Steerpike

Visit site
I'm in Mid West Wales so lots of hills and the furthest I travel to events so far is probably 6 hours, I tow with a L200, comfortable, quite good on diesel and has towed 2 horses and all the kit for endurance well.

PoniesRock

Visit site
We’ve got a 2.5 Isuzu. Absolutely love it towing. Reliable and has more than enough ability to tow anywhere with two on board.

That said. I wouldn’t want to run it as my everyday car! It’s a bit thirsty for that.

outinthefens88

Visit site
I suppose its horses for courses... I run a LWB Landscruiser Commercial for towing - when it went in for warranty work, they gave me and all singing/all dancing brand new Hilux - which was a pain in the ass to get through gates I do every day and I got it stuck on a slippery grass field that I had been driving up and down all week. The suspension seemed unforgiving harsh too (bearing in mind my other vehicle is an Iveco van which are renouned by their EXTREMELY harsh suspension!).

Orangehorse

Visit site
We have a L200, it is getting quite old now and has had a pretty hard life. Always starts, and I have used it for horsebox towing. It does seem very long! But pulls fine and OH uses it to tow a flatbed with some considerable weights at times. I would want to check its towing capacity in the logbook first.

Been wonderfully reliable. (Touch Wood!)

Parksmum3

Visit site
Ford ranger. The 3.2litre one, pulls like a train. OH has a recovery business and it's what he uses for towing every day. Legally and easily tows 3.5ton. Whatever you do don't get a 2/2.2litre bi-turbo ranger, very unreliable.

Britestar

Visit site
I have a 22 plate D Max, so 1.9.

I tow an Equitrek Night trekka with it, with two large cobs in it. It never misses a beat. So easy to tow, very good mpg.
Have done the 500+ tow with it and it's great. Mine is manual.
I'd 100% recommend.

EventingMum

Visit site
I have a 3.2 Ranger auto and my son has a 3.2 manual both tow really well. Son has had four Rangers since 2009 with various engines - he buys new and runs for 3 or 4 years as he does a huge milelage and all have been good. We previously had a HiLux, a Shogun and a SangYong - all were far more expensive to service than the current Ranger and parts were hugely expensive in comparison.

rextherobber

Visit site
Another vote for the L200, but I don't think it's on your/ your husband's wishlist. I'd also keep my old reliable truck, the newer they are , the less reliable they seem to be!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Not on your list, but I have an 18 plate Navara Tekna which is a 2.4, amazing to tow with & easy to manovere. Great on fuel - so much so I use it as my daily driver commuting 70 miles a day.

Love

Visit site
Again not on your list but if you wanted any other makes to keep in mind we tow with a VW Amarok. Automatic and tows my ifor 510 and 2 big horses like a dream. You don’t know there’s anything behind you

Ruth17

Visit site
I tow with an automatic L200, 18 plate. It IS a long rig, but you get used to it and it's never been an issue. I love it. First time I've had an automatic to tow with - I wouldn't go back!
No I love having an automatic to tow and ideally wouldn't go back to a manual unless an amazing deal price wise

Ruth17

Visit site
I suppose its horses for courses... I run a LWB Landscruiser Commercial for towing - when it went in for warranty work, they gave me and all singing/all dancing brand new Hilux - which was a pain in the ass to get through gates I do every day and I got it stuck on a slippery grass field that I had been driving up and down all week. The suspension seemed unforgiving harsh too (bearing in mind my other vehicle is an Iveco van which are renouned by their EXTREMELY harsh suspension!).
I kinda discounted hilux because it's likely to be out of my price range compared to other trucks, but good to know!

Ruth17

Visit site
Ford ranger. The 3.2litre one, pulls like a train. OH has a recovery business and it's what he uses for towing every day. Legally and easily tows 3.5ton. Whatever you do don't get a 2/2.2litre bi-turbo ranger, very unreliable.
That's useful info thanks

Ruth17

Visit site
Another vote for the L200, but I don't think it's on your/ your husband's wishlist. I'd also keep my old reliable truck, the newer they are , the less reliable they seem to be!
I love my old truck but sadly not enough money or space to keep both. L200 definitely on our list we've just never had one

Ruth17

Visit site
I have a 22 plate D Max, so 1.9.

I tow an Equitrek Night trekka with it, with two large cobs in it. It never misses a beat. So easy to tow, very good mpg.
Have done the 500+ tow with it and it's great. Mine is manual.
I'd 100% recommend.
Interesting as a few people have said that the 1.9l engine is pathetic towing up hills but others say it's not. Getting a test drive is very tricky.

Ali27

Visit site
I’ve got a new Isuzu DMax and love it! Good to tow with and I use it every day too!
My 04 Ranger (that I had from new) failed MOT in August so decided to replace it! We did like the Hilux but was more expensive so decided that the DMAX was best value 😊

Britestar

Visit site
Interesting as a few people have said that the 1.9l engine is pathetic towing up hills but others say it's not. Getting a test drive is very tricky.

I have a steep hill to pull out onto the main road and it never worries.
I've twice towed from Aberdeenshire to Bucks with it full to the brim and its absolutely fine.
This is my third Isuzu.
04, 65 and now 22

Sealine

Visit site
Another not on your list but have you considered a Ssang Yong Musso. It's the pick-up version of the Rexton. I no longer tow but until recently I had a 2018 Rexton diesel auto which was great for towing.