& PICS: A cob wins Badminton.... and a delayed Regionals report

miss_c

Visit site
Ok, not the horse trials..

Yesterday Genie and I competed with two lovely friends in the RC Team class at Badminton. We had drawn nice late times - after 1pm with the class starting at 8.30am, and they also ran a little late. When we saw the start times we were all rather surprised to see a few horses that are competing successfully at affiliated Elem in the class when it was a Prelim test, but there were no entry restrictions.

All three of us pulled off respectable tests in our opinion, although in my experience if I am pleased with a test then it usually gets a low score. However we had achieved our main aim which was to enjoy the experience - there is something special about parking your lorry by Huntsman's Close and competing within sight of the lake and Badminton House. It was very busy which played into my favour - Genie loves a crowd to show off to even if competing on grass is not our favourite thing.

After seeing to the horses we went to the scoreboards to find our scores not up yet, but we had a first look at other scores. A team who had travelled from Wales were in the lead on a very high combined score, with their lowest score being 72.5%, and our local friendly rivals from another riding club were currently in 2nd on another excellent combined score.

While waiting more scores were put up, including our first two riders. I had posted just over 71%, and our second rider 72%. We were hopeful of a placing providing our third and final rider had posted a good score, but she was sure she would score in the 60s. While waiting I popped over to see the pro photos, to find that they hadn't taken a single one of us which is their loss as I would have bought at least one. Fortunately my 'supergroom' was with me and took some so I have proof of competing there. The wait for our final rider's score was tense, but I managed to be right by the score board when it went up...

She only went and posted over 76%, putting us in 1st by just 1 mark! All of us were in a state of disbelief, I for one couldn't stop laughing, and our third rider was in tears. We had dreamt of winning it but knowing who we were up against none of us believed that we would and instead had thought if we were lucky we might just manage a top 3. Not only did we win a BEAUTIFUL plaque, but also goodies from Wadswick and a £200 training bursary to be split between the three of us. I'm also now able to say that Genie has won Badminton... ok it sounds good in my head at least!

11760136_954531944606312_3078876526498608375_n.jpg

11825151_954531941272979_8485291852319733630_n.jpg

11781827_954531937939646_3703508587617677129_n.jpg

18323_954531984606308_6209821880543748976_n.jpg

15mkchd.jpg

So proud of Genie...

And then there was regionals at Sparsholt... my first stay-away show completely solo but I did meet up with ester for a meal that evening. I was slightly star-struck to find myself stabled next to Alice Oppenheimer and opposite Emile Faure, although neither had arrived by the time I left after my class on the Tuesday. I had early times as seems to be the norm for me at regionals... this time I had my warmup test at 8.07am and the regional test at 9.14, third in which was an improvement on first in at Merrist Wood back in February!

The warmup test was P15 and I was pleased with her, and then thrilled when a spectator stopped me to say how lovely our test was and that we were a great partnership - what a shame she wasn't one of the judges! We posted 68.9% which I thought was a fair mark for it and that was good enough for 7th so no rosette but still overjoyed with a good score in great company.

A short break and then in we went to work again for our regional test. As always Genie was a pro in a busy warmup and then when we went into the test she just did what was needed and was excellently cooperative for me. She loves the big atmospheres and even at 9.15am it was busy so she was able to show off as much as she loves to.

In the end we posted 68.4% which put us in the lead for over half of the class and I was getting more and more nervous, then heaved a huge sigh of relief when I realised that we would definitely be in the top 10. In true Genie style she split the judges with 23.5 marks between my highest and lowest judge - almost 10% difference. This is so frustrating but that's dressage and at least one judge loved us enough to put us 1st in her books. We then held onto 2nd and then 3rd with just 4 scores to go up and I was dreaming of a top 5 finish. Unfortunately for us the final four all went above us but I am so proud of Genie and incredibly pleased to have come 7th at the Regionals. Had we got our score in the other Prelim section we would have been 2nd but then would have had different judges so who knows, they may have put us on 55%... The main thing is that I am pleased with the pony and chuffed to have brought home a rosette in an incredibly competitive section!

11753657_951232928269547_521524969868537613_n.jpg

10502509_951232908269549_6849712608906850591_n.jpg

Have I mentioned that I love my pony? So incredibly proud of her and yesterday at Badminton was her last ever Prelim tests - what a way to finish that stage of our competitive lives. The current plan is to have an easy August at home with a mix of hacking and schooling, before BRC Nationals at Lincoln Showground in September.

Thank you for reading! Help yourselves to ice cream and cookies!

joolie

Visit site
Lovely read, well done. Great to see a Welsh D doing well at dressage - gives me hope for mine! :)

miss_c

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I'm still on a total high and so incredibly proud of her. She was bought to be a happy hacker and do low level RC stuff before I got into dressage and she has exceeded every expectation I ever had. She owes me absolutely nothing and everything we achieve together is a bonus.

Bernster

Visit site
That really is an awesome result. She sounds like a very special horse and you are acquiring quite a set of rosettes there!

miss_c

Visit site
That really is an awesome result. She sounds like a very special horse and you are acquiring quite a set of rosettes there!

I can say with 100% honesty that she is my horse of a lifetime, I don't think I will ever have another horse that comes close to her. All her showing rosettes and sashes have been made into cushions by my fabulous Mum, and due to lack of storage G has been told she's not allowed to win too many more, I have nowhere to put them and it seems a shame to put them in a box or throw them away - however she's not listening to me! ;)

spike123

Visit site
those are some pretty spectacular results. Well done and so nice to see the cobbier types doing so well. Gives me high hopes for my boy once we go affiliated.