Pics and vids - Fig competition and clinic report x 2

nikkimariet

Visit site
Sit tight, huge update at the ready!

Firstly, just in case any of you don’t get BD Magazine:
IMG_7202_zps8edab45e.jpg

Oh yeah ;)

As you all know I’ve had feed problems with Fig in the past, I’ve got his appetite and weight sorted now but noticed his feet had become a little scrappy towards the end of summer – it’s dry, the grass is rich and I thought he needed a bit of help keeping them tidy. So last week I started to add a little seaweed into his feed like I used to (literally 4 granules!) – stopped feeding it as he was being so fussy and it can taste bitter... Aaaaaand my horse turned insane. Overnight. Got on the next day and couldn’t get a word of sense out of him, even in walk :( Kept him on it for another day just to be sure, and the same thing. Left the seaweed out that night and the next day, happy chilled boyo! I’ve been attempting to read up on it and it’s either: the iodine, the copper or the zinc. Possibly all 3. The copper and the zinc would explain why he’s so sensitive to peas and alfalfa... WEIRD horse!

Happy but weird horse and his BFF:
IMG_7195_zpsa8cec848.jpg

We went to Vale on the Sunday for E42 (snore) and E57, tried him without any syringe calmer!!! He was FANTASTIC to warm up. Really soft and concentrating and *maybe* one day I’ll only have to do 1 warm up like everyone else!!! Because the seaweed upset him I’d just been concentrating on basics – tempo, transitions and contact. Really paid off as he was 100% on the ball!
He went slightly tense when we went into the ring and for the first time ever, actually went a little behind the leg :shocked: Which is fine, but dumbo here forgot to RIDE!!! I *know* when he’s tense/sharp I have to keep him between hand and leg otherwise we’ll just zoom round doing a million beat canter. So I let him down, but the test was sweet enough. It just lost the flow and swing.

He came out really happy chappy again, and did a lovely second (or third, whichever) warm up. Felt really solid and grown up! Second test much better, kept my leg on looked up and really tried to ride every second. He didn’t help me *at all* in the simple changes on a 3 loop serpentine at the end, but otherwise, can’t fault him!

Walk in both tests nice, pleased with rein back, medium canter had no changes and the medium trot is almost there! It all felt accurate enough to get a decent score but you never know with dressage!

We take competition preparation very seriously:
IMG_7208_zpsb3e59a8a.jpg

Comp pics:
P1250505_zps684575e0.jpg

P1250532_zps036775dc.jpg

P1250674_zpsd904b274.jpg

P1250675_zps9698a164.jpg

P1250579_zps643c6a88.jpg

Scores: 3rd in section and 3rd overall with 67.19% in E42 and 1st in section and 1st overall with 67.86% in E57! Clever pony!

On the Monday we took the boys to see our Spanish trainer, haven’t seen him since around last March/April (try and have him over twice a year, but for personal reasons, have been unable to). Really excited to show them off!!!

We did Fig first as he gets very wound up being left on his own (but doesn’t mind if already on his own, attention seeker much?!). I had 2 plans of what I wanted to do, but it depended what mood he was in (no point working on changes if he’s being a tight tense wally!).

He. Was. Amazeballs. Had a good look at everything and ran through our warm up. Trainer impressed with how soft and supple he is and mentioned my hands were LOADS better. He helped me make the positioning in our leg yields more accurate, less neck bend more hind leg! And thanks to our practise, couldn’t believe the difference in all his transitions. Moved onto the half pass; I sit like a wonky lemming basically. BUT, my hands are good, and soft and forward – really trying to give him the room to bend and not just hold him there. It’s like we’ve got the movement, now just need to increase the flexibility within that (can I ask for more/less quicker/slower etc etc). Had me doing HP to LY, and HP to circles the opposite way, and then carrying on the original line. Hard work! Esp to the left where I sit really against the movement *needmirrors* Practised a few mediums, I need to keep my lower leg on for the energy but stay soft with my hips (hah!). Likes that I give with my hands, but need to be careful I don’t give too much so he doesn’t flatten his topline (bit chicken and egg, needs to be stronger to extend when in a very ‘up’ outline).

Half pass round the intently listening dog:
P1250725_zps6467358d.jpg

Onto the canter; shoulder in to quarters in, get him soft. Not too much angle, more neck bend. Mustn’t drop my inside shoulder and do the funky chicken with my elbow! Make sure he is straight between. Keep it forward, don’t let him collect it too much and take over. Then the flying changes; straight in and out (easy for him, harder for me); again keep my hips soft so he doesn’t brace back at me. Finished with some half steps along the fence, trainer didn’t quite believe me when I assured him I wouldn’t need a whip! Did some lovely steps, noticed it’s always the hinds that move first and he’s starting to find a rhythm of his own.

And when I suggested I wanted to do a Medium (and well!) before the year was out, he didn’t laugh, in fact he was rather surprised I hadn’t already been out and done one (well) :D

Trainer agreed how much of a sweetheart he is, and how easy it would be to take advantage of that... He feels ready to go round AM85, but what’s the point? He’s already got nothing to prove to me, never mind anyone else, but I really am SO excited to take him out at Medium!!!!!

Pics:
P1250730_zpsdb146563.jpg

P1250743_zpsd09989f9.jpg

P1250770_zpsc1e17756.jpg

P1250776_zpse4330c00.jpg

P1250777_zps5b18d889.jpg

P1250796_zps64aa56a3.jpg

P1250799_zps51db5a25.jpg

P1250801_zpsf08ea482.jpg

P1250811_zps5056140b.jpg

Vids:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...661516390&type=3&video_source=pages_video_set
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...661516390&type=3&video_source=pages_video_set

nikkimariet

Visit site
Onto CS, who stood quite happily on the lorry whilst Fig was strutting his stuff as he had hay… and chaff… and hay… and chaff... om nom nom :piggy: Came out very relaxed so after a walk round I went straight up in to canter, loads of on and back to get him in front of the leg, and some counter canter leg yields to make sure he was just as sharp off the leg laterally. Trainer was very impressed with how his musculature has changed, and that he now comes out soft straight away. He doesn’t have to work through any tightness and you can see the muscles rippling and flexing as he moves :)

In the trot warm up we did more of the same theme - collecting and then a give and re-take at the same moment as pushing forward, to ensure he chases the contact forward and is always thinking forward to the hand (it’s not the most aesthetically pleasing of movements but for whatever reason it REALLY works with him, makes him soft in the neck but not noodle necked, he takes a good hold and takes the bit forward with him).

I really wanted to run through most of the GP work to get trainers view on how it was progressing and what tweaks I needed to make. Started in the trot, trying to take it to the next level - he has a good PSG trot but to go up to GP needs more ground cover within the collection. So baby gear changes, back almost to half steps and then forward again to keep the hind end really tucked under and matching the expressive front end. When riding the ext trot I need to think of keeping my hips up and forward to allow the hind leg to cover more ground and thus increase the cadence and over track. I have a tendancy to collapse my core (to protect my awful back) and although to a certain degree this actually helps me regulate the tempo, if I can just push my hips up and forward that fraction, he can step under that extra few inches.

We did have a bit of a *moment* at this point, as we were really asking CS for the biggest trot he can give (currently) and at the exact same moment, 2 riders returned from a hack cantering across the field, horses in the field opposite exploded, and the YO started lunging... The pressure all bottlenecked and we went star jumping and leaping across the school. I lost my pedals and face planted in his neck, but managed to cling on by my eyelids!

Tranquillity restored we moved on to the HP zigzag, making sure I straighten the HORSE for a stride not just the neck as I change the flexion/direction so that he doesn’t take over and go ¼’s first. Was quite pleased with that, as he started to really take me across instead of just stepping across if that makes sense? More power and swing! Finished the trot work with some pi/pa - in the passage I need to ride for ground cover again and not let him hover, he’s got to be forward to the contact and springing over the ground using his knees and hocks and not just pogo’ing up and down. He finds passage dead easy and loved showing it off, bless him! Piaffe he finds far less easy and always wants to take the easy option of bouncing off his shoulders and offering passage instead, so very very deep in the half steps, make the reaction come from the hind leg first.

Up in to canter and ran through the tempis. Basically he’s straight, he’s clean, I just need to RIDE the strides in between to keep him thinking forward, so that each change is forward and… covering ground (my buzz words lol!). Trainer agreed that his 1’s ARE very quick off the mark and he doesn’t give me much thinking time so I need to be sat on my ass and ready, not crouching up his neck like a demented monkey! He did some really big expressive 1’s on the track so we left them there on a good note!

All of NMT’s yelling has worked as trainer was very pleased with how my hands/reins have changes (hands more forward and reins shorter, no crotch hands here!) and as a result I can ride to a truly forward thinking hand. So now she can change her mantra to ‘hips forward, think forward, sit on your ass’! He says CS and I are both so bloody minded we will undoubtedly get to GP, whether the horse is able to produce the quality of trot and canter to get big marks remains to be seen. He’s developed SO much since a 4yo and just keeps in finding new gears :) If I can get 60% at GP I will 1. Cry 2. Be over the moon and 3. Retire!

Pics:
P1250820_zpsf65a5664.jpg

P1250861_zpsef40b6a6.jpg

P1250869_zpsb4b3fcc4.jpg

P1250896_zpsd2a255d6.jpg

P1250897_zpse01743b8.jpg

P1250967_zps6943d04c.jpg

P1250979_zps13f8c26b.jpg

P1250992_zpsefcb531a.jpg

P1250999_zpsff8a2375.jpg

Vids:

Both the boys off to Kingswood AF next weekend, CS for the PSG and Fig for the Elem Restricted, hope to see a few of you there!

rising_promise

Visit site
They both look fantastic!

Great to see vids of both the boys, shows how much they are both changing :)

Love the way Fig just carries on when the dogs decide to have a bundle in the middle of the school!!

lex2501

Visit site
I think I am going to have to show these piccies to Jammie (minus the rearing one perhaps ;)) - if she grows up to be half as impressive I will be one hell of a happy bunny! They really are a credit to you, and such a great advert for ex-racers. Inspirational for people like me starting out on the journey to show an ex racer a new career :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Just re. the seaweed it's usually not recommended on a feet basis because of the high level of iodine so it might be worth supplementing zinc/copper separately.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Love the way Fig just carries on when the dogs decide to have a bundle in the middle of the school!!

Perversely proud that he does just carry on, not so long ago that he would have gone sky high about it!

Just re. the seaweed it's usually not recommended on a feet basis because of the high level of iodine so it might be worth supplementing zinc/copper separately.

Oooh learn something new every day. Yes, his trainer mentioned that it's really not recommended for horses over in Aus now :( Poor Fig.

We're looking into a few diff supps and have some samples en route!

Thanks everyone, we are super chuffed with them :D

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'm going to look at the vids later when I haven't got my children distracting me but the report & pictures are lovely.
My instructor has had me trying to keep the softness in my elbows as that is where I hold tension. She was saying that for me it isn't just about them being bent but they need to be slightly open from the body as I have a tendency to 'clamp' them to my sides....But NOT chicken wings. Your pictures have just demonstrated what she means so *lightbulb* moment for me :)

montanna

Visit site
Really am in awe of you both and love reading your reports - you are both so dedicated and really do deserve all the success you get.

Lovely pics - beautifully turned out as always :)

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
thank you, thats a lovely thing to say.

i think its fair to say we have learnt a huge amount from this pair, they are like chalk and cheese and have really cemented that you have to cover every tiny detail, in order to be competitive, as well as be able to think outside the box :)

bensababy

Visit site
I do not ever venture into this part but love coming just to see pics/reports of this fab pair, your hard work has clearly paid off and they are a huge credit to you!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Ah thanks everyone :)

PS is right, they couldn't be more different! We both have a bit of a shock when we ride each others lol!

Worried1

Visit site
Lovely to see how the boys progress, i can still remember the early Fig updates and its amazing how he has progressed. Pea really looks so chunked up now :eek:
Good luck at the AF!
Ps just home and loved the BD article :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Thank you all :)

Haha Worried1 I know, was looking through the pics from his first couple of months with us and I can't believe it's the same horse!!!

Fingers crossed they both behave at Kingswood!

Bills

Visit site
Absolutely love reading your reports/updates. Both boys are looking fab and are an absolute credit to you both. Amazing advertisement for ex-racers!

Good luck at the next one, i'll be looking out for the report :D

JGC

Visit site
Always love these reports. Especially get a lot of training tips from the CS reports as my new boy seems to be quite like CS personality-wise although his ups are considerably less high!