Pictures as well.....wasting valuable energy :D

{97702}

Visit site
This is a still from the video (70cm course)

27750804_10156783579309587_8128965035434220550_n.jpg

And two pro pics I BOUGHT today.....

70cm class

27857874_10156786096994587_7600613906478725300_n.jpg

80cm class

27867715_10156786154294587_3939385804249394595_n.jpg

I've no idea how he ever thinks he will get the time if he does over-dramatic huge jumps like these :D

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I wouldn't say he is over jumping looking at the pics. If you look at his neck and back line it is only slightly above the horizontal with hind legs still on the floor or just off. To get closer to the fence he would have to crouch on takeoff. ;)

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Looking fabulous! He certainly seems to be enjoying himself :) Rosie's top tip for making the time when you like to overjump everything was to go as fast as possible in between the fences, duh :p :D

{97702}

Visit site
Thank you for your lovely comments - obviously I’m besotted (!!) but it is great when he gets compliments from more objectively minded people:)

That’s interesting and very helpful PM - I always notice how much clearance Jensen gives the admittedly small fences & I was thinking that it wasn’t very energy efficient for him to do that?

RubysGold

Visit site
Lovely pictures ��
That video still is really good quality, mine always turn blurry when I take them from a video.
He looks like a lovely horse

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Lévrier;13724401 said:
That’s interesting and very helpful PM - I always notice how much clearance Jensen gives the admittedly small fences & I was thinking that it wasn’t very energy efficient for him to do that?

I'd say at his height and the height of fence he is just lifting his shoulder a bit and tucking his legs up. He would need at least a 1mtr fence to see how much he does over jump

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
He's looking great. Lovely pics.

I wouldn't say he was overjumping either just jumping out of a nice forward canter stride. Perfect for XC. Though they sometimes stick in a show jump in arena eventing comps after a few nice XC fences to catch people out who need to collect up for it.

_EVS_

Visit site
Well done! He looks ace! I always think they cram a lot into the arena at Lincomb for the AE so there's a lot to distract horse and rider! Good luck for the season ahead - you look like you are having such fun!!!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Wouldn't say he's over jumping that fence. The diagonal bar across the two parallel poles is there to make him give more space to the jump. Horse that over jump tend to come up at a much steeper angle.
The below pic is only slightly over jumping. If I had stood her off it and she still came up at the same angle then that would have been over the top. Jensen is just taking off a little further away than he needs to.
g6N43Qd.jpg

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Looking back at your pics I think jensen is only giving the height he is because he is not yet neat in front. Once he learns to tuck his forelegs up more the jump will become easier. Lots or grids with high cross pole fences (line of 5) would help.

be positive

Visit site
He is not neat in front because he is not pushing equally from behind, he is almost cantering over the jumps rather than jumping and guess this has been picked up by your trainer which is why they are doing more from trot than canter, it will make the jump feel a bit more of an effort and will stop him being neat in front to a degree, I would be working on the back end becoming more engaged/ pushing/ canter able to shorten and lengthen before worrying about the front end as that will get neater once he is more coordinated.

I think it is in part why you had the stops, he powers along but finds it tricky to shorten so coming round a corner, which should help set them up and rebalance, means he is just losing momentum and ends up a bit on his head and in his view too close to jump from because the power has gone.

I think he has plenty of ability and seems honest enough when it is all going well but until he can get in deeper and push he will put in the odd stop which will be disappointing in a ODE. more work on the canter required, lots of gridwork and watch what the hind legs are doing, obviously you can't while you are riding but be thinking of them all the time, he must always walk forward from the hind leg even in hand the more aware you are the more he will benefit and start pushing at all times.

{97702}

Visit site
That’s great news, as you have identified all the things we are working on :) :)

He is still overcoming his history of crookedness, so we are working on straightness, strengthening his core & getting better engagement.

He has come on so much but I know he still has a way to go - it will be interesting to hear what the physio says when she sees him at the end of the month :)

be positive

Visit site
Lévrier;13725395 said:
That’s great news, as you have identified all the things we are working on :) :)

He is still overcoming his history of crookedness, so we are working on straightness, strengthening his core & getting better engagement.

He has come on so much but I know he still has a way to go - it will be interesting to hear what the physio says when she sees him at the end of the month :)

Thats good as I was a bit concerned about posting in case it sounded too critical or negative as I know you are putting so much into him and your plans, it can be a long haul with horses that are very crooked but you have a good team behind you that should have the expertise to make a real difference, the little things can really help such as doing a little in hand as often as you can, just a few clear steps under and sideways or backwards will help him become more aware of his back end and improve coordination.
I used odd boot combinations on one of mine, weak on one hind leg, it did seem to help him think about them even if it looked a bit strange hacking out with odd back boots or just one on the weak leg.

{97702}

Visit site
We do basic lateral work in our ridden work as well - shoulder-in, leg yielding - he is most definitely a work in progress going right-to-left whereas his left-to-right work is getting to be lovely in walk & trot :)

alexomahony

Visit site
He is lovely <3

I also LOVE the lightening bolts on your XC colours! Where did you get those from? I could do with some in hope that they'd speed up my Welsh Cob ;)