Pictures/Info on your Highlands...

Kallibear

Visit site
Can't go wrong with a fell ;) My lad can jump over a metre, the highest he's gone with me is 3ft3, I'm too scared to try anything higher :p

I've met quite a few fells and dales and they're not always easy ponies :eek: Good ones are excellent but many can be really difficult! Fabulous ponies in competant hands but a nightmare with many people. By comparision I'd say highlands are an easier breed to work with! :eek:

A (good!) highland would make a fab alrounder: jump well enough, do a reasonable dressage test, usually bombproof and sensible, as well as there hebig LOADS of show things you can do with them. Why not have a look at the highland pony forum and asked about them there? They would be able to point you in the direction of good highland ponies to buy too.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Here's my girl Islay, we've had her almost 2 years now and she is our 1st M&M pony (always had arab x's and irish horses before). We have mainly done showing with her but this year hope to do a bit of jumping and other activities. I have to say i do agree with the posters who say they are not for novices. I was under the impression that they were a docile, lazy breed before getting Islay but i couldn't have been more wrong. Our girl is extremely lively, very very forward, feisty, strong and can be opinionated at times, that said she is a lovely lovely girl whom we wouldn't swap for the world but i think if you are new to horses or are novicey then i would choose very carefully if looking for a highland.

Here are some pics of my little lady.

DSC_15061.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

CIMG2029.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

Lissa

Visit site
Benjis_girl - Islay is stunning!

I've had my highland Louie nearly 5years since he was a 4yr old and done a bit of everything. Did very well at dressage last year prelim and novice at riding club gettting high 60% each time out with ability to get higher if I get my act together! Also done well at showing, haven't shown him for a couple of years though.

Jumps great XC he's like a different pony jumps up to 3ft3 easy. Showjumping he does pretty well can do a 2ft6course easily, I'm not as keen on it so dont do much friend is competing him this weekend though. Biggest he's jumped is 1.20m and cleared it fairly easily. Also hunted him and he was great, hoping to do working hunter with him this year.

Agree that some aren't for nervous or novice riders as they can take the mick and be very strong. Louie is normally pretty good but has bolted with me on several occasions, can give a fair sized buck and rear as well! Most of the ones I've known (been a lot as my instructor breeds them and I used to keep him with her and bought him from her) have been really well behaved and safe just the odd one that isn't. Still lovely ponies though.

When I got him
Photo-0470-1.jpg

Last year
25thD.jpg

bigjumpppppp.jpg

05AIMG_9078_DxO.jpg

04AIMG_9077_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

naza

Visit site
I'm not a novice/nervous rider and can already see they can be bolshy
I asked this question as i currently have one on trial, but i do think he's heavier than some of yours that do 'the jumping'. (bear in mind he is over weight and not relatively fit....)

2.jpg

lubuzz

Visit site
I have a Trowan Highland who is a real character.
He jumped, xc'd up to 3"3, county level M&M and just started working at medium dressage until he was sadly retired a few years ago.

Now he has insulin resistance and osteoarthritis in both front pasterns so is in only in light work.

pip6

Visit site
Anyone know anything about a highland called Altnaharra? Would have been about 40 years ago. She was my old pba girls maternal granddam, & would love to find out more about her.

threeponies

Visit site
naza,
I think you will be surprised at the difference in your pony when he has lost a bit of weight/fittened up, my mare is an absolute slug when she's a bit tubby but a different kettle of fish when she's slimmer. Your pony doesn't look particularly heavy to me, in fact he looks quite like my mare! How is he bred?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Lissa your pony is absolutely amazing. You're giving me a bit of faith - I've had my boy a wee while, but he's only young (rising five) and though he free schools well over a metre nicely, ridden we have a long way to go with jumping... Part of me is worried he won't ever jump really well because of his highlandyness (not a major issue, he has other skills!) and I would really miss it when my old boy retires from jumping (hopefully not anytime soon!), but ponies like yours remind me just to give him time and keep working at it :)

naza

Visit site
Did you just sell Alex ? I just found him on Horse quest ! - couldn't help but have a look at them after seeing so many lovely ones on here! I would love to have one

omg yes! i thought i recognized that first jumping pic! Hope you found him a lovely home!

Lissa

Visit site
Thanks JFTD taken a long time to get him there when I started teaching him to jump I thought he'd never make it over 2ft

This is from his fourth time and one of the much better attempts
LouieandWillowjumping2031.jpg

That was when he was rising 5 and the picture of him jumping the spread in previous post was last year when he was rising 8. It really is amazing what they can jump (when they want to lol) I thought at one point I'd made a mistake buying him and he wouldn't do what I wanted but he's done more. Good luck with yours :)

Naza I wouldn't of said he looks heavy built, probably be around the same as my lad when he's got the weight off. He looks very nice good luck with him :)

MochaDun

Visit site
Anyone know anything about a highland called Altnaharra? Would have been about 40 years ago. She was my old pba girls maternal granddam, & would love to find out more about her.

Don't know if you've come across the Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club forum but a lot of people on there seem to know lines and histories of Highland Ponies so they may be able to help you, or the Highland Pony society itself.

http://www.highlandponyenthusiasts.co.uk/forums/viewthread.php?tid=5356

JFTDWS

Visit site
Lissa, thanks very much for replying - really hoping my lad turns out well eventually for jumping, but I'm not in any particular rush, he's young and has time on his side (other than disasters obviously, touch wood!) so hopefully we'll get there in the end! You've proved it can be done :D

Really well done with your boy, he's an absolute credit to you :)

pip6

Visit site
Thanks MochaDun,

only part of the girls pedigree I don't have any photos for, would love to change that, sure there's a scrummy highland waiting to be seen!

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I've got two HiPos and they are quite different in character, but both wonderful ponies. My mare is pretty forward going and can do a nice novice test. My gelding is a lot more laid back and can be lazy. He's not above putting in a small buck or two when he feels that you are asking too much of him :rolleyes: He moves very well for a HiPo and I am looking forward to dressaging on him next month for the first time.

Neither pony is 'strong' and I would trust them both with absolute novices. They could be bargy if I let them but I can't stand bad stable manners so they are very well trained to back up etc on command.

I don't jump so I've no idea how well or badly my two would jump. Some HiPos love it and others don't. If you want a native to jump bigger courses, why not try a Connemara? Saying that, I wouldn't have anything other than a HiPo now and the boy you've got on loan looks as though he could be a good pony.